Chapala.com Webboard

Here's a solar hot water stupid question...

Ginger

My CFE bills are low so I don't need solar for electricity but I'm considering solar hot water because I have a gigantic jacuzzi tub that I've never used because my instant on hot water heater won't provide enough hot water, although there's enough for showers.

My question is: I have an ajilbe not a tinaco. Would my electric bill go up due to having to pump water up to the solar on the roof? (I told you it was a stupid question but I don't want high CFE bills.)

When you turn on any electrical device...it will use more power than if it is not used...so yes...besides solar hot water is not continual...if you use it what is in the storage tank of the solar unit...it needs hours to regenerate. We get two good showers from our unit....than the water gets cooler and then colder.

A typical solar hot water system may have about 45 gallons storage capacity. A small jacuzzi would have to have a compatible capacity, with a bit of cool water added to get the right temperature. A small hot tub would need at least 150 gallons; probably too much, even if tempered with cool water.

You don't need much pressure to get water up one floor. I run my small pool filter pump 1-1.5 hours a day and the bill is still 40 pesos .... along with security lights, patio light and fan and a washing machine.

Guess it depends if you want constant flow or just fill the heater and dump it when you want it.

We have a friend who installed about 50 meters of 2" black plastic pipe on the roof of his house between the cold water supply from the town and his hot water heater. It holds a lot of water that gets very hot in the sun. His gas hot water heater virtually never comes on. He doesn't have a spa, but his supply would likely cover even a four or six-person unit or more. The piping (manguera) is quite inexpensive and durable. High tech? No. Effective? Yes.

We did the same for a small swimming pool and it allowed us to raise the temperature about 10 degrees F. Of course, it required a small circulating pump. However, it did have to be removed for roof painting every few years. Finally, we quit using the pool and do not miss the daily maintenance at all. So, the next time the roof needed impermialazante we gave the mangera to the painter.

Later, we installed a proper solar hot water system and seldom need to switch to the gas heater; a simple matter of turning two valves and lighting the pilot.

Ginger,

1 - Your CFE bill won't change except in the fact that you'll be pumping more water overall if / when you begin using the large tub on a regular basis, versus taking showers now. The roof height is not an issue CFE-wise.

2 - 150 liters is on the small side for regular use of the size tub you describe, especially if you want the system to meet your other h/h needs. I'd recommend 180 to 240. PM me if you'd like more info or have other questions.

We have a friend who installed about 50 meters of 2" black plastic pipe on the roof of his house between the cold water supply from the town and his hot water heater. It holds a lot of water that gets very hot in the sun. His gas hot water heater virtually never comes on. He doesn't have a spa, but his supply would likely cover even a four or six-person unit or more. The piping (manguera) is quite inexpensive and durable. High tech? No. Effective? Yes.

Maybe OK during the day once it heats up. However, for morning use; the water temp would be same as the air temp....frio! Good quality solar hot water systems have well insulated tanks that preserve the heat for 24 to 48 hours. Also the black tubing is not really pressure rated nor designed / intended for potable water use.

As RV noted, acceptable for a swimming pool as the pool then "holds" the heated water, though proper solar pool panels heat more effectively and last much longer than black hose (and are warranted as such also).

Archived