Chapala.com Webboard

How do I obtain a Vonage line ?

We have been here a year now and are beginning to realize that we could use a Vonage line.

Can we obtain one here lakeside and if so where and for approximately how much ?

Any advice would be very helpful.

You can sign up and reserve a US phone number online. The vonage box attaches to your internet modem and then a typical phone attaches to that. Easy to set up and use. There is a box or modem for sale above, or Merryman at Ajijic Electric has them for sale and will probably set it up for you. Just do a search for Vonage and the site will explain your options.

If you have an internet Telmex package, they now allow a certain number of calls to the USA with no charge and one package has unlimited. Vonage is costly and I'd consider Skype with a US phone number. Much more affordable.

You can sign up and reserve a US phone number online. The vonage box attaches to your internet modem and then a typical phone attaches to that. Easy to set up and use. There is a box or modem for sale above, or Merryman at Ajijic Electric has them for sale and will probably set it up for you. Just do a search for Vonage and the site will explain your options.

Merryman's business is Satellite Systems 766-1117

Our ten year old modum went out a couple of weeks ago. Vonnage has been nothing but cooperative. The first modum they send down here was no good so they sent a second one. All this was free and they do ship to Mexico. The invoice for customs said the modum was $79 US but that is a one time payment. You can contact them online through Facebook.

Magic Jack Plus uses the same technology and is 1/12th the cost of Vonage...$29.95 a year instead of per month. If you like it and buy 5 years at once for $119, it works out to $20 a year. The little unit is the size of a cigarette lighter, costs from $49-65 depending on if you can find it on special and it includes the first year's service. Someone can bring it down for you or you can order it through Amazon or other providers to your Mexican address and likely not pay any duty. I'm leaving soon to remove my non-importable car and will return July 4 if anyone wants me to buy them one and bring it back with me.

If you do get Vonage (instead of Magic Jack), you can order it online from vonage.com through an agent you're in touch with on a chat line. You have to pay monthly so what good does it do to buy a box here if you're not assigned and paying for a number?

I just had one shipped to our address here in Ajijic. It took 2 days with Fedex and I didn't have to pay duty. At the time, they had a special on shipping charges. And it works great though not exactly cheap. Some people have said Vonage has better voice quality than Magic Jack. I can only say I would not tolerate less quality, and that it is much better than Skype.

We have had Vonage for about 8 years now.............had to "tweek" it a couple of times in the early days, but it is absolutely wonderful, I could never live here without my kids and grandkids being able to phone a local #....................20.00 dollars a month................allows us to call the bank, government, etc., and leave a local #.....................thanks Vonage!

Archived