Chapala.com Webboard

broker at the border, at airport

I have a Mexican plated vehicle with a U.S. driver's license. The car is fully insured with a Mexican Underwriter.

We are in the process of nationalizing a car with S&S auto. You don't need a MX license for this (you can call Karen at S&S if you don't believe me).

Also, show me the appropriate statute that states that a current foreign DL is not valid if driving a MX plated car. Mexico signed the DLA in 2004 which gave reciprocity rights to citizens from Canada, U.S.A. and Mexico regarding driver's licenses.

Here's from page one of the 2004 Reciprocity Agreement (which was signed by Mexico)

General Purpose

It is vital to the national interest that all jurisdictions participate in a reciprocal program of cooperation to promote highway safety and to provide for the fair and impartial treatment of drivers operating within their respective borders and to implement minimum identification and security standards for driver licenses and identification cards. The member jurisdictions of the Driver License Agreement (DLA) support the following principles:

1. One driver license and one driver control record recognized by all member jurisdictions, for each driver;

2. Cooperation among member jurisdictions so that all drivers are required to comply with traffic citations regardless of the jurisdiction where issued;

3. Reciprocal recognition of driver licenses and offenses related to highway safety;

4. Utilization of a recognized verification process to identify a person prior to the issuance of a driver license or identification card;

5. Compliance with the laws, ordinances, regulations and administrative rules relating to highway safety as a condition to the issuance or retention of a driver

P.S. I agree with you on a practical level. It will make dealing with Vialidad a lot easier if you have a MX license. But nobody has ever shown me the MX statute in regards to this. If you will post the statute, I'll shut up about this issue and apologize for being so thick-headed.

This is a Treaty- and if you delve deeper probably applies to Tourists not Permanent Residents bet this was an addendum to NAFTA intended to solve the big problem of Mexican Drivers and the still ongoing debate about Mexican Truck Drivers -crossing the border into the US which is really a Union Issue with the Teamsters

As I said.I use my Mexican License and credit card to rent cars in the US every year-rather than my US license- just incase I do get stopped - violation will not appear on my record.

Your quoted statement I says

SUPPORTS THE PRINCIPLES of recognizing Drivers Licenses between the 3 countries???

States nothing about having a VISA and being a permanent resident in a foreign country, driving a car with plates different from the origin of the Drivers License-Supports tourism travel between countries, rent vehicles but in says nothing about permanent foreign residents driving foreign plated cars.

Since We've all been privy to all the new info about the difference in Mexican States regarding Foreign Plates etc etc

The OP stated that he had been told Jalisco was requiring a Mexican Drivers License to Nationalize his car in Jalisco-

A logical conclusion if you are a resident of the state driving a Jalisco plated vehicle BUT

It appears just as in the US ---Mexican States can make their own laws regarding vehicles, plates and licenses-
Poster Ajijic is touting come to SMA and my wife will help you here in Guan/ State nationalize your car- but that's not Jalisco

As Alaninmexicalli posted--- CAlif has it's own laws- after 6 months as a resident you must have a California Drivers License and Calif Plates on your car

I worked with a Mexican company- in Calif.- the Director (from Guadalajara) who had an US Investors Visa- and Mexican Drivers License - was barred from getting a Calif. License due to state law--- we also had many Mexican employees- 1 supervisor driving to work was stopped by CHIPS- he did not have a Calif License but a Mexican license=car was plated in Calif.- they impounded his car immediately- He was never able to get the car back from CHIPS- due to the fact that he was forbidden by law to have a Calif Drivers License- and could not legally drive a Callif plated car.

I called Impounds and told them I would pay and pick up the car - NO GO- car was registered to him had Calif plates and I was not allowed to retrieve it as I was not the registered owner= the car was auctioned off by the state.

Sounds like what could happen here if we refuse to follow the new interpretations of Jalisco Laws

Getting a Mexican Drivers License took about 3 hrs, most it wait time- If you are fluent in Spanish and want to argue the law with Police, Federales etc that's your choice =Personally, I'd rather be safe than fearful of the outcome under the new interpretations of INM and vehicle laws.

Last Wednesday, I pay the broker at the airport. Tomorrow, I'm going for the inspection. I should have plates Tues or Wed and then all this will be academic to me.

Mexican plates, Mexican license and Mexican insurance. If that won't do it, I'm going to just quit and go NOB.........

Posted Yesterday, 07:53 PM

privado, on 18 Jun 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:snapback.png

RENTING A CAR is not owning a car -it's a temporary use permit with a valid license

I rent cars in the US with my Mexican Drivers License and my Mexican Credit Card every year

That is not what you wrote. You wrote:

Nationalize your car and it's is now a Mexican Vehicle and you need a Mexican license to drive it and insure it.....just like any other country

You do not need a Mexican DL to drive a Mexican plated vehicle.

Sounds like what could happen here if we refuse to follow the new interpretations of Jalisco Laws

Getting a Mexican Drivers License took about 3 hrs, most it wait time- If you are fluent in Spanish and want to argue the law with Police, Federales etc that's your choice =Personally, I'd rather be safe than fearful of the outcome under the new interpretations of INM and vehicle laws.

I agree with the part about ''rather be safe than............''

But, yet again, nobody has posted the relevant statute pertaining to MX plates and having to have a MX driver's license. My suspicion is no such statute exists.

This is information posted after the Meeting with Sate of Jalisco Traffic Commandante at LCS

r

• photo-thumb-2752.jpg?_r=1358646203
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 7,149 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:33 AM

JRPJR, on 15 Jun 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:snapback.png

"you must get a Mexican driver's license once you go permanent."

I guess this is because you can't drive a foreign plated car any longer and must get a Jalisco plated car. Question I posted on the Customs and Immigration forum is does this also mean that you can't drive a Jalsico plated car with a foreign license if you are still on a temporary visa.

What I heard is that as long as you are on a Temporada, you can use your NOB driver's license. Technically, after 6 months residence here, however, you should be driving on a Mexican license.

Archived