Chapala.com Webboard

broker at the border, at airport

I'm looking for recommendations...

I'd like to hear from people who have successfully found a broker and nationalized their car (US plated) at the border. I've heard it will take three days.

Also has anyone successfully completed the process using customs at the airport?

Thank you!

I'm looking for recommendations...

I'd like to hear from people who have successfully found a broker and nationalized their car (US plated) at the border. I've heard it will take three days.

Also has anyone successfully completed the process using customs at the airport?

Thank you!

Have successfully done it at the airport using Secorp.

Have 3 more working at the moment.

First one took 9 days, the ones working now will take 2 weeks.

I just nationalized a vehicle in Nogalas. The cost was $930. The name of the Broker is Oscar Angulo. I highly recommend him. I scanned and sent him the title, picture of the VIN and the name of the person I put the vehicle in. I emailed that info to Oscar in the morning of Friday and I was able to go through the border, Monday morning. It took me 3 hours at the border. If I understand it correctly, you can put the vehicle in your name, if you have a Mexican drivers license. Oscars contact info is:

US Cell: (520) 285-9887

Mex Cell: 631 136 166

autosanco@hotmail.com

Thanks JRM for the great information you have shared. We have been in touch with seacorp at the Guad. airport. Unfortunately the agent who contacted us does not speak English & our Spanish is not very good. He suggested we bring an interpreter with us but I would prefer to skip that step if possible. Did the agent you used speak English? If so could you please give us his name. You can contact me at heleninmex@hotmail.com. Thanks again.

I'm a little confused that the statement above from Mike B. , his exact quote, "If I understand it correctly, you can put the vehicle in your name, if you have a Mexican drivers license".

If one were to follow logic, the statement above would mean, "If you don't have a Mexican drivers license, you won't be able to put the vehicle in your name".

Please comment on this statement

I'm a little confused that the statement above from Mike B. , his exact quote, "If I understand it correctly, you can put the vehicle in your name, if you have a Mexican drivers license".

If one were to follow logic, the statement above would mean, "If you don't have a Mexican drivers license, you won't be able to put the vehicle in your name".

Please comment on this statement

If you are going to Nationalize your car- it requires a Mexican Drivers License

If you live in Mexico as Temporal or Permanente----you are basically required to have a Mexican Drivers License

If you live in Mexico as Temporal or Permanente----you are basically required to have a Mexican Drivers License

No you're not. Mexico signed on to the DLA Treaty of 2004. Read the part that deals with the recognition of foreign licenses.

I've been stopped 3 times by the Federales on autopistas and twice at army checkpoints. They checked my U.S. driver's license. No problem.

No you're not. Mexico signed on to the DLA Treaty of 2004. Read the part that deals with the recognition of foreign licenses.

I've been stopped 3 times by the Federales on autopistas and twice at army checkpoints. They checked my U.S. driver's license. No problem.

The question was regarding Nationalizing a foreign vehicle"If you don't have a Mexican drivers license, you won't be able to put the vehicle in your name".

Why fight city hall-

If you have a Permanente Visa and wish to Nationalize your foreign plated car- YOu then must have a Mexican Drivers License

Nationalize your car and it's is now a Mexican Vehicle and you need a Mexican license to drive it and insure it.....just like any other country

As per my other thread, one can nationalize in SMA. The process takes 15 minutes and the documents can be couriered to you when they arrive... usually 2 to 4 weeks. Cost is confirmed before you leave your house. Price range is 14,000 to 24,000 pesos depending on year, number of cylinders, gas vs diesel or a

luxury vehicle.Payment is made at a bank with official receipts. Vehicles covered are those made in North America between 1983 and 2007. Late in the year, 2008 vehicles.

Looks like we will be leaving our non NAFTA cars up here, but we do have a 1994 Cadillac (not ideal for Ajijic, I know). If we cross it at Neuvo Laredo, what do we need, how much will it cost, how much time will it take? I'm on a permanenta Visa and have Texas drivers license......will that be a problem? The car is in my name, I have the title and registration.......what exactly is required to make this happen annd what can I do beforehand to grease the skids or make it go smoother?

Thanks

Why not just paint a target on that big guzzler and rent a place to park it on the highway. It will have problems with the streets. :)

Somehow, you are missing the messages here. I know you have visited, but ..............

@RVgringo......i know you're right...i just hate having to pay 15K or so for a used car in Mexico that may have unknown problems (even though I'm a car guy and have owned probably 40 different classic cars over my lifetime from Packards to Ferraris)....in addition to the suspension stress of the cobblestone streets that will most likely require ball joints and tie rods on a somewhat regular basis.

Looks like we will be leaving our non NAFTA cars up here, but we do have a 1994 Cadillac (not ideal for Ajijic, I know). If we cross it at Neuvo Laredo, what do we need, how much will it cost, how much time will it take? I'm on a permanenta Visa and have Texas drivers license......will that be a problem? The car is in my name, I have the title and registration.......what exactly is required to make this happen annd what can I do beforehand to grease the skids or make it go smoother?

Thanks

This is a good question and I have not read anywhere in the ADUANA Laws or Rules where you can or cannot nationalize your Cadillac on the border with a Mexican Consulates visa stamped in your US passport.

This is a new deal as before the Mexican Consulates would issue, for example, a FM3 rentista visa and people could get down here on a TIP and keep renewing by a freeform letter to ADUANA every year when renewing the FM3s.

It does state a legal current INM document is required only and several previous classifications are listed.

You being preapproved it is new situation than before.

You might not get anything done with nationalizing your car, possibly only a 30 day TIP.

You "might" need to nationalize your car "after" you have your actual Residente Permanente card in your hand.

All things point to the latter, so far.

I do not know who you can contact, except a reputable custom broker on the border to find out what they require.

Your 6 month visa stamped in your passport will have a different number than your plastic Residente Permanenete card.

You will also have to stop at the border to have your passport stamped on entrance and some sort of FMM will also be given, I have read, not a tourista FMM though. They will also give you a 30 day TIP for your car at that time.

You can apply on line to get a TIP or FMM card and have them mailed to your US address beforehand if you like.

Don´t just drive over and keep going like one poster did armed with the above TIP, FMM, and Mexican Consulate 6 month visa stamped in a passport.

A Permanente cannot import a vehicle, but a Temporal could do so once the final card is in hand; not before.

Note: There is a very active classic car club in Guadalajara and they often visit Chapala on Sundays. Same for Moto clubs.

Non-citizens will not have an IFE voting card and probably will not have a CURP until they get their visa cards. They should be sure to ask INM to give them a CURP, if they do not already have one. If they do, give it to INM to put on your visa card in the space provided.

The question was regarding Nationalizing a foreign vehicle"If you don't have a Mexican drivers license, you won't be able to put the vehicle in your name".

Why fight city hall-

If you have a Permanente Visa and wish to Nationalize your foreign plated car- YOu then must have a Mexican Drivers License

Nationalize your car and it's is now a Mexican Vehicle and you need a Mexican license to drive it and insure it.....just like any other country

How can people rent a MX vehicle at the airport with a foreign driver's license if they have to have a MX driver's license to drive a MX plated vehicle?

Why fight city hall-

That's not what you said. You said ''If you live in Mexico as Temporal or Permanente----you are basically required to have a Mexican Drivers License''.

That is what I was referring to. And it's not correct. Please show me the Mexican law that says that a foreigner driving a foreign plated vehicle with a visa temporal cannot drive their vehicle with a valid driver's license issued in the U.S, or Canada or whatever country. What you said is just not true.

The ability to read words is not necessarily an indication of the ability to understand their meaning.

Sad, but very true. Literacy and Functional Literacy are often miles apart.

How can people rent a MX vehicle at the airport with a foreign driver's license if they have to have a MX driver's license to drive a MX plated vehicle?

• Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 313 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:53 PM

privado, on 18 Jun 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:snapback.png

Why fight city hall-

You question has nothing to do with the topic

The subject is NATIONALIZING A FOREIGN CAR If you are a Permanent Resident of Mexico-
RENTING A CAR is not owning a car -it's a temporary use permit with a valid license
I rent cars in the US with my Mexican Drivers License and my Mexican Credit Card every year

Why fight city hall-

I have a Mexican plated vehicle with a U.S. driver's license. The car is fully insured with a Mexican Underwriter.

We are in the process of nationalizing a car with S&S auto. You don't need a MX license for this (you can call Karen at S&S if you don't believe me).

Also, show me the appropriate statute that states that a current foreign DL is not valid if driving a MX plated car. Mexico signed the DLA in 2004 which gave reciprocity rights to citizens from Canada, U.S.A. and Mexico regarding driver's licenses.

Here's from page one of the 2004 Reciprocity Agreement (which was signed by Mexico)

General Purpose

It is vital to the national interest that all jurisdictions participate in a reciprocal program of cooperation to promote highway safety and to provide for the fair and impartial treatment of drivers operating within their respective borders and to implement minimum identification and security standards for driver licenses and identification cards. The member jurisdictions of the Driver License Agreement (DLA) support the following principles:

1. One driver license and one driver control record recognized by all member jurisdictions, for each driver;

2. Cooperation among member jurisdictions so that all drivers are required to comply with traffic citations regardless of the jurisdiction where issued;

3. Reciprocal recognition of driver licenses and offenses related to highway safety;

4. Utilization of a recognized verification process to identify a person prior to the issuance of a driver license or identification card;

5. Compliance with the laws, ordinances, regulations and administrative rules relating to highway safety as a condition to the issuance or retention of a driver

P.S. I agree with you on a practical level. It will make dealing with Vialidad a lot easier if you have a MX license. But nobody has ever shown me the MX statute in regards to this. If you will post the statute, I'll shut up about this issue and apologize for being so thick-headed.

All Day ... exactly. People with FMM's buy cars in Mexico and they can not / do not have a Mexican driver's license. The OP asked what is required not what is nice to have.

What is referred to as an International Driver Licence is really not a license at all; simply a translation and confirmation that your license from your home jurisdiction is truly valid. It cannot be used without your current home license.

Archived