Chapala.com Webboard

Raw Foodists and Organic Markets

dichosalocura

Hello guys, I have a family member who is slowly transitioning into eating entirely raw food, does anybody know how many raw foodists are in the area and do they have any meetings or get togethers. Are there any restaurants in the area that may specialize in a full or partial raw menu, and I'm not talking about plain old salads?

And about the organic markets, I have noticed that they tend to change locations from time to time, so what is the update on their time and locations? I think the tuesday market is still at El Hole in One? I think I heard also about another one too......where is that being held currently and on what day? And timings, do they usually close up around noon?

Also, the subject of greens, we have been buying lots of swiss shard and spinach, but what about other greens like Kale, and Collards. Are they seasonal, or can you usually get them year round here? and where?

Thanks to all who respond.

I have many types of greens, the whole plants that I sell. I have never seen greens like collards, mustards, kales, packaged and for sale here. I have never seen any at all and that is why I started growing them. If you have room to grow them let me know what you want. I also have salad greens and chicory like escarole and red dandelion, and herbs like arugula.

Are you a raw foodist?..........My family member feels like there are not many here..........and she/he wants to move to Costa Rica where it is more common.

We will buy from you ...............it sounds like you have a good selection.

We want to stay in the Chapala area............but we want to meet more raw foodists here if at all possible.

You can get kale and lots of other fresh vegetables from the vendors at the Tuesday market in la Huerta (west Ajijic). There is a couple there that are on raw foods diet, they sell tinctures, sorry I don't recall their names. When you come in from the parking lot, turn right, then left on the first aisle (a lady sells Sushi will be on your left), go down to the end then turn right, they should be the second table on your right.

I've considered the raw diet and could easily go that direction but am not completely raw. What I share with you is what you'll find as staples in my pantry/fridge.

Seasonal swiss chard and kale at the Ajijic market on Wednesday, which would say came from Abastos, not in season now.

Costco carries Mediterranean sea salt, extra virgin olive oil, tubs of cold pressed virgin organic coconut oil, the best balsamic vinegar, a great selection and best price for blanched nuts: walnuts, almonds, pine nuts, pecans, and dried fruits like dates, which are important in a raw diet. Hopefully you'll teach yourself how to make almond milk, which will leave you the almond meat to make almond flour. I have not yet learned how to make chickpea flour for breads but have heard they sell it in the organic market on Tuesday. BUT you must know that it's probably pretty obvious that the chickpeas used to make those breads couldn't be "organic." There is a gentleman that sells raw milk and raw honey from his ranch. Another Jewish man who sells hummus etc. all at the organic market. I buy pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds(make my own tahini paste), popcorn, dried beans, barley pearl, and carob powder all at Abastos. Pretty easy and filling to make your own granola, which is pretty handy if you go out for a few hours or a snack at home. A lady that sells kombacha at the organic market, I'd like to make that myself...great probiotic! The health food store and Superlake carry natural unsweetened yogurt.

In a raw diet it's really important to get those dried beans and nuts that will give you the protein that you need. Black beans and chickpeas are great. I make hummus with them.

Alfalfa sprouts are easy to grow and also packed with nutrition, I've heard you can buy the seeds in the tool stores. Broccoli has calcium. Chia seeds have fiber and are a high source of omega 3 and 6, chia seeds do not have estrogen like flax seed which is a concern for those who do not want breast cancer. Bananas and avocado are high in potassium but I still feel I need a potassium supplement.

Are you considering any natural nutritional supplements? I tried for 4 years to get all of my nutrition from just my food. Whether I was doing it or not, I'm not sure because I ended up suffering from parasites. Really important to not just use apple cider vinegar to wash your produce and do a parasite cleanse twice a year living here. I'm finally well but using supplements at this time. Are you planning on doing any juicing or square foot gardening?

Here's an online directory of vegetarian restaurants...I've not been to many but you could google around and see what you can find and then report back to us :D

http://www.guadalajaraguadalajara.com/restaurantes.php?tipo_comida=vegetariana&buscar_restaurante=

I have many types of greens, the whole plants that I sell. I have never seen greens like collards, mustards, kales, packaged and for sale here. I have never seen any at all and that is why I started growing them. If you have room to grow them let me know what you want. I also have salad greens and chicory like escarole and red dandelion, and herbs like arugula.

You can buy wonderful greens and veggies at the organic market on Tuesdays at La Huerta in West Ajijic. They have swiss chard, if that helps.

they have collards @ wensday market. not every week, & it sells fast. i saw them as well in san antonio @ the sunday market. never saw them in chapala, do they have on juarez?

You can buy wonderful greens and veggies at the organic market on Tuesdays at La Huerta in West Ajijic. They have swiss chard, if that helps.

I grow 2 types of Swiss Chard, 5 types of Kale, 5 types of Mustards, 50 types of tomatoes, etc., why would I wan to buy them at the Tuesday market? I sell the plants at the Hole in One on Monday and the Friday La Huerta market.

See Deena at the Tuesday market. She has a wide variety of seasonal greens if you don't want to grow your own. So do several other vendors, but I think she has the best variety. There is a vendor with very reasonable earth boxes who also sells a variety of plants. If you want to go that route, buy an earth box and a few plants from him and then some plants from Joco the following Monday. You'll have a garden!

I grow 2 types of Swiss Chard, 5 types of Kale, 5 types of Mustards, 50 types of tomatoes, etc., why would I wan to buy them at the Tuesday market? I sell the plants at the Hole in One on Monday and the Friday La Huerta market.

Is it hard to keep up with the demand? You must have an amazing garden!

Is it hard to keep up with the demand? You must have an amazing garden!

Most retired people want the produce packaged and not do the work to grow their own. It's convenient to grow your own but it is work.

I have more plants than I know what to do with. I plant a seed and a plant grows. I don't know if that makes me amazing.

:) sure TIA, I can't find the original link where I found my recipe:

2 cups rolled oats or oat groats/steel cut oats

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil or virgin coconut oil tastes best

1/4 cup sesame seeds or chia seeds(i want to try)

1/2 cup flaked coconuts

1/2 cup coarsely chopped or slivered almonds, peanuts, walnuts, or pecans

1/2 cup shelled sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds

1/2 cup crasins or raisens

1/2 cup honey

Combine everything you want in your granola, if you add more honey your granola will be chewier. Line cookie sheet in foil and grease with coconut oil. Spread mixture evenly onto greased foil. Bake at 320 degrees(high altitude) 30 min or until lightly browned. If I double the recipe I often stir the mixture once or twice while baking. Remove from oven, with the foil form into rectangle or grease a new foil sheet, transfer and form mixture(can't remember if the oil gets absorbed while baking then sticking to the foil). Cool formed mixture in foil on cookie sheet, when almost room temperature, cut into bars, individually wrap into food wrap if you like. They're good for about 2 weeks at room temperature. I've frozen them before as well.

Add a extra honey for chewy bars. The drier the granola we like as cereal, the chewy granola as a breakfast on the go or snacks. After I bake the granola, I press it into a square in the foil and cool a little on a cookie rack, then cut them into bars and individually wrap. You can put whatever you want in your granola as far as seeds, nuts and rolled oats. I used to buy "avena para pajaro" at abastos and take the time to clean the hull out of it. That's oat groats, but I just got tired of cleaning it and buy whole oats at Sam's Club now :)

Joco, yes, you are amazing! :D It is work! I started a square foot garden 3 years ago and it's in sad condition. Too shady and there was no way I can grow enough broccoli for our needs! My tomatoes were the size of cherries! Not enough water and the hanging baskets dried up too quickly. I was not well for a very long time but am getting my inspiration back! I noticed today that my ginger is still alive :)

Joco, yes, you are amazing! :D It is work! I started a square foot garden 3 years ago and it's in sad condition. Too shady and there was no way I can grow enough broccoli for our needs! My tomatoes were the size of cherries! Not enough water and the hanging baskets dried up too quickly. I was not well for a very long time but am getting my inspiration back! I noticed today that my ginger is still alive :)

I have several varieties of squash that should do well in a shadier garden and some okras. I like Red Okra the best plus it is a pretty plant, okra is related to the hibiscus. Most of the salad greens will grow better with less Sun. With salad greens and all the other greens, you cut what you want and the leaves grow back. Down here almost all of these plants are perennials and grow all year round.

Last year I didn't have enough Sun and it is a battle to grow tomatoes without 8 hours of Sun a day.

I had a horrible time with white flies. Totally agree about the lettuce greens...mine went to seed as the leaves got smaller and smaller and bitter :( I think I even brought seeds from the states. Herbs do well and lettuce yes. My carrots were deformed haha I grew cauliflower, small onions, garlic, broccoli, carrots, egg plant, and lettuce mixed with herbs and serrano peppers. Boy did I study my brains out till they hurt on plant combining. We're getting our first avocados this year, our papaya, limes and bananas are doing well, 3rd year. The orange tree is a case. I asked my dh if he'd build me a supported raised box in a sunny area in the yard so I wouldn't have to bend over...he said no. I said I'd like to do it. He said he'd like to see me do it. :)

I had a horrible time with white flies. Totally agree about the lettuce greens...mine went to seed as the leaves got smaller and smaller and bitter :( I think I even brought seeds from the states. Herbs do well and lettuce yes. My carrots were deformed haha I grew cauliflower, small onions, garlic, broccoli, carrots, egg plant, and lettuce mixed with herbs and serrano peppers. Boy did I study my brains out till they hurt on plant combining. We're getting our first avocados this year, our papaya, limes and bananas are doing well, 3rd year. The orange tree is a case. I asked my dh if he'd build me a supported raised box in a sunny area in the yard so I wouldn't have to bend over...he said no. I said I'd like to do it. He said he'd like to see me do it. :)

White fly is in the soil. Spray heavily with a garlic spray and the white fly will leave, never to return. If it is a heavy infestation, you need to spray twice a day for 3 days and make sure you spray the dirt. This year I have hundreds of Lady Bugs and the garlic spray doesn't bother them.

The heat in April, May and part of June can cause the salad greens to bolt (go to seed) but when it cools off the greens should grow very well.

There are good choices in greens at the Tuesday market at La Huerta. A couple immediately to your right sells different products, I like their dill, pat soi, nasturtiums. Deena, to the left and down past the organic chicken, sells Interesting greens: collards, kale and others., Some vendors sell bok choy.

My wife and I eat Raw food for a year and we never felt better. We switched about four years ago to Vegan. We eat out a lot and its just was too hard to stay raw. We still feel great and have never needed Doctors and pills even though we are in our 70's.

I would like to see a vegetarian group formed here. If we had 10 or more people that wanted to eat out together onced a week, we could talk to restuarant owners telling them that , we would eat at their place if they agreed to add a few veg item that day. We could rotate between restaurants that agreed,

I'm now studying Hydrophonics and would like to start growing lettuce , kale, tomatoes, etc in a vertical garden.

Love to meet someone that has a lot of Hydrophonics experience

Thanks to everyone for their replys.....so let me get this straight, El Hole in One is only on Mondays and it is not organic, La Huerta is held on Tuesdays and Fridays. Both markets close at noon I suppose. After shopping at the Chapala Tianguis for over a year, it will be great to get some other kinds of greens that aren't only Chard and Spinach.....bok choy sounds really good right now along with kale and collard greens. We do have a jardin or yard which is large for Mexican standards but really small compared to US standards, so vertical gardening sounds really cool. So, tomorrow morning we are going to check out La Huerta.

Thanks again guys

Sorry. I did not mean to quote you with my response. But I learned something new! Maybe I will buy some of your plants and start my own garden!

Archived