Chapala.com Webboard

Pemex Scam

Alpha1

Pemex Scam

I was filling up my usual 200 pesos "green" at the Pemex on the main highway to Guad yesterday. The attendant placed the hose into the car and programmed 200 into the pump. In a very short time he came to collect his money. I looked at the pump display and noticed that the display was flashing (not normal) and that the amount of liters "seemed" low based on some mental arithmetic; only about 16 liters. I also noticed that the fuel gauge did not move at all after I started the engine. I left the pump hoping the gauge would register movement in the sender unit to show the fill, but the fuel gauge did not move. I suspected that my fuel gauge might be faulty. I immediately went back to the pump and asked the attendant the exact cost for a liter of gas, and confirmed what was seen on the pump. The attendant seemed somewhat nervous. I drove off on the highway and decided to return to Pemex on the next "Retorno", since something was "wrong".

I approached the attendant and told him that I suspected that the pump must be faulty, since it did not dispense any gasoline. He called his "boss". I explained the situation to the "boss" and also mentioned that there should be over 17 liters of gas based on the price per liter, not the 16 plus shown on the display. He suggested that I wait 5 minutes, as he would check the security camera and correlate the time stamps to the pump delivery. About 10 minutes later he came back and confirmed my suspicions, I did not receive any gasoline. He had me pull up to the pump and had me watch him place the 200 pesos of gasoline into the tank. He then watched my fuel gauge move as I started the car. I told him what I thought had happened. The hose from the "green" side of the pump was placed into the tank, however the attendant programmed the 200 pesos to the "red" side of the pump. Thus the flashing display when the hose was not moved from the pump! He shook my hand and I thanked him and drove off with my 200 pesos of gasoline.

The moral of the story is to confirm how many liters of gasoline you expect to receive based on the price paid, and watch and listen very carefully.

It goes back to my days as a salesman and expense accounts and it continues out of habit, I have a small spiral notebook in the glove compartment and when I get out of the car I have it and a pen in hand so they see I'm looking. I write the date, mileage, amount put in, cost per litre from the pump and miles traveled. We're at something like 11.47 per liter now, 6 years ago when I came down is was something like 7.05 - times change.

Archived