Chapala.com Webboard

Nationalizing a Canadian Vehicle

Frijoles

Its just one office, here in Guadalajara, that is resisting giving the RS document. It sounds like people have no problem getting these documents in Mazatlan or PV, for example. I suggest asking on Mexconnect. There are so many Canadians from BC on the West Coast, if no one responds.

Its just one office, here in Guadalajara, that is resisting giving the RS document. It sounds like people have no problem getting these documents in Mazatlan or PV, for example. I suggest asking on Mexconnect. There are so many Canadians from BC on the West Coast, if no one responds.

In Guanajuato State which includes SMA, you go to Celaya and they accept the Canadian form proving ownership and they never look at your car. Go one day by noon and return next day by 10 am and it is ready. Why not same day is beyond me as the letter they give you the first day is 2 pages and of course each page stamped. They could have issued the Returno Seguro as fast but it is Mexico and they love lots of paper, procedures, stamps.

In SMA one can nationalize a NAFTA car for between 14,500 for a 4 cylinder 1996 vehicle to 22,900 pesos for a 2007 V8 vehicle without leaving the city. Photos etc are taken locally and process it is done at the border by the very reputable organization called UCD.

Or another way is for vehicles 2010 (maybe as new as 2012) and older for 21,000 pesos. In this second option plates arrive in 3 weeks and pediemento later. Payments are made in 3 steps... at time the plates are ordered, again when plates arrive and again when pedimento arrives. Our plates and registration from the State of Mexico should arrive tomorrow and our vehicle is 2008.

• 2 weeks later...

In SMA one can nationalize a NAFTA car for between 14,500 for a 4 cylinder 1996 vehicle to 22,900 pesos for a 2007 V8 vehicle without leaving the city. Photos etc are taken locally and process it is done at the border by the very reputable organization called UCD.

Or another way is for vehicles 2010 (maybe as new as 2012) and older for 21,000 pesos. In this second option plates arrive in 3 weeks and pediemento later. Payments are made in 3 steps... at time the plates are ordered, again when plates arrive and again when pedimento arrives. Our plates and registration from the State of Mexico should arrive tomorrow and our vehicle is 2008.

I live in Jalisco and hoping to import a 2008 NAFTA vehicle from Canada. Could I then take the vehicle for Jalisco plate without a problem? Can I drive it with State of Mexico plates or do I need to change them?

I live in Jalisco and hoping to import a 2008 NAFTA vehicle from Canada. Could I then take the vehicle for Jalisco plate without a problem? Can I drive it with State of Mexico plates or do I need to change them?

We have BC and Ontario plated cars in progress now for nationalizing. The costs are about 10,000 p less than at the Guadalajara airport. The newest are 2007 but in November one can nationalize 2008. Aduana has seen the titles and they are not an issue.

All can be done from your home and one trip to Bancomer to make a deposit.

I have a Canadian plated 2000 Toyota Corolla that has been in Ajijic for 4 or 5 years under my FM3. It is a very good, reliable car that I would like to nationalize in Oct. when we apply for Permanente. I do not know if I can nationalize a Toyota as it is not a NAFTA vehicle. Nationalization costs are far more than the vehicle is worth and removing it from the country is equally as expensive, however keeping it in Ajijic allows us to keep a reliable vehicle. So many questions crop up when I try to decide what is the best thing to do:

1) can a 2000 Toyota be nationalized?

2) once nationalized can I sell it and could I recoop the money spent nationalizing and would it be an easy sale?

3) if I opt for USD plates would that cause me problems in Jalisco?

4) is it better to nationalize (if possible) or go for USD plates?

5) is the cost of nationalizing or removing it back to Canada too much that I would be better to just donate it to the government or dispose of it some other way? It is in excellent condition, runs well and our mechanic has told us it is a wonderful car and we should try to keep it.

Another problem I see is that FM3 renews Oct. 26. I don't arrive in Ajijic from NOB until Oct. 8. To just arrive and have to get the car out of the country would be expensive and a huge pain. I would have to fly in Oct. 8 and turn around and drive back to Canada to remove the car then fly back to Mexico for the winter. Much too expensive and time consuming.

So, what would you do in similar circumstances?

1. sorry but answer is "no" as non-NAFTA

2. You can legally sell it using the legal form Carta Responsiva and the buyer has the responsibility to make it legal etc. This is as per discussion with Aduana's lawyers and something we have done.

I have a Canadian plated 2000 Toyota Corolla that has been in Ajijic for 4 or 5 years under my FM3. It is a very good, reliable car that I would like to nationalize in Oct. when we apply for Permanente. I do not know if I can nationalize a Toyota as it is not a NAFTA vehicle. Nationalization costs are far more than the vehicle is worth and removing it from the country is equally as expensive, however keeping it in Ajijic allows us to keep a reliable vehicle. So many questions crop up when I try to decide what is the best thing to do:

2) once nationalized can I sell it and could I recoop the money spent nationalizing and would it be an easy sale?

3) if I opt for USD plates would that cause me problems in Jalisco?

4) is it better to nationalize (if possible) or go for USD plates?

5) is the cost of nationalizing or removing it back to Canada too much that I would be better to just donate it to the government or dispose of it some other way? It is in excellent condition, runs well and our mechanic has told us it is a wonderful car and we should try to keep it.

Another problem I see is that FM3 renews Oct. 26. I don't arrive in Ajijic from NOB until Oct. 8. To just arrive and have to get the car out of the country would be expensive and a huge pain. I would have to fly in Oct. 8 and turn around and drive back to Canada to remove the car then fly back to Mexico for the winter. Much too expensive and time consuming.

So, what would you do in similar circumstances?

3) As you have stated that you are going Permanente, you cannot legally have/drive a Foreign plated car in Mexic

Since the Corolla cannot be Nationalized either, it would appear that your only realistic recourse is to get the car back to Canada somehow. There is a possibility of you getting a US title but that requires some US Customs procedures and paying some pretty high taxes. Then you would have to sell it to someone/some entity. I seriously doubt the 2000 Corolla would be financially worth all that effort. This whole thing stinks, but.....

Sorry.

I have the requirements from South Dakota to import/title a Canadian car there if you are interested.....

I'm interested. Thanks.

It appears that I cannot 'copy' a .pdf file onto this forum. I'll send it to you via a PM but the test will be HUGE!

Edit: Well, it wouldn't let me do that either.....

I hesitate to ask you to post your email address here, but that's the only way I can seem to get it to you.

Sorry.

I have a Canadian plated 2000 Toyota Corolla that has been in Ajijic for 4 or 5 years under my FM3. It is a very good, reliable car that I would like to nationalize in Oct. when we apply for Permanente. I do not know if I can nationalize a Toyota as it is not a NAFTA vehicle.

I'm sure you've checked, but just because it is a Toyota doesn't mean it is not a NAFTA car. Have you checked your VIN #?

1. sorry but answer is "no" as non-NAFTA

2. You can legally sell it using the legal form Carta Responsiva and the buyer has the responsibility to make it legal etc. This is as per discussion with Aduana's lawyers and something we have done.

I have just read that even though designed in Japan all North American Toyotas are manufactured in either Canada or California. Would that not make them a NAFTA vehicle?

We have been getting the Retorno Seguro permissions for Canadians, it was tough but now there have been fewer issues as the office is getting used to the Canadian registration and insurance documents which act as ownership documents. We just need to provide additional declarations for Canadians.

Archived