Chapala.com Webboard

passport renewal

googoo

Yes I am sure that they will take your passport for renewal, but you may find that you can apply for SS at the same time if you meet with the consulate people at the American Legion or LCS when they visit Lakeside.

Is your passport taken when I go to renew it. I need to apply for social security benefits at the same time and I need it for identification.

The employees from Social Security do not come down to lakeside, anymore, with the employees of the Consulate.

They have a telephone number, which you can get from the Consulate, and do everything by telephone.

Yes, they do take your passport, and when you get your new one, they will give return the old one, with a hole punched in each page.

SocSec / Medicare application at US Consulate is via a Telephone on a scheduled call.

Do keep a copy of the ID portion of the passport, it may be you need

to send a copy.

|

In July at Legion or LCS you can apply for 30U$ US passport Card. They will have it for

you typically first WED in next month (ie AUG) when they come. Valid for ten years.

Oh I’m happy to see this post. I will need to renew my U.S. passport at the end of this year. I thought I would have to make and appointment and go to the consulate in GDL. I imagined I would have to plan months in advance to be sure I get it before the expiration date. I travel for business and will need to plan in advance for any periods of time that I need to remain in Chapala.

So… the consulate is at the American Legion in Chapala the first Wednesday of each month (w/July being an exception).

1. What hours on that Wednesday?
  2. Do I need an appointment to meet with the consulate reps at the Legion?
  3. Do I look for a renewal application online and bring it filled out?
  4. What else do I need? Old passport, new photos, money
  5. Then they bring the new passport then next month on the first Wednesday?

Anyone who has done this recently, please chime in about your experience.

Thank you!

KBIOhio

Oh I’m happy to see this post. I will need to renew my U.S. passport at the end of this year. I thought I would have to make and appointment and go to the consulate in GDL. I imagined I would have to plan months in advance to be sure I get it before the expiration date. I travel for business and will need to plan in advance for any periods of time that I need to remain in Chapala.

So… the consulate is at the American Legion in Chapala the first Wednesday of each month (w/July being an exception).

1. What hours on that Wednesday?
  2. Do I need an appointment to meet with the consulate reps at the Legion?
  3. Do I look for a renewal application online and bring it filled out?
  4. What else do I need? Old passport, new photos, money
  5. Then they bring the new passport then next month on the first Wednesday?

Anyone who has done this recently, please chime in about your experience.

Thank you!

KBIOhio

1. Be there by 9:00 AM

2. Sign up at the Legion the day before, I think. Check with the Legion.

3. Yes; fill out the application, print and bring with you.

4. Yes; old passport, photos, and a cashiers check, $110, from IC Bank, new shopping center, near Wings. Tell them what it is for.

5. Yes; so you will not be able to travel outside of Mexico that month.

Daisy 2013. my birthday is 9/11. If I can go without an appointment when do I go. I am also going to see if I can have a telephone interview. That is an option I have they asked me when I made my appointment. Now that I think about it that's seems like a good option. Thanks for everyone's advice. What a good learning experience.

After taking all of your advice. Here's the plan. I scheduled a telephone interview. So I don't need have to drive to Guad. I'll make copies of my passport, etc. and have it faxed after my interview. And renew my passport July 10th over here. Wow, what an adventure. Thanks again for all your help and advice.

After taking all of your advice. Here's the plan. I scheduled a telephone interview. So I don't need have to drive to Guad. I'll make copies of my passport, etc. and have it faxed after my interview. And renew my passport July 10th over here. Wow, what an adventure. Thanks again for all your help and advice.

For Social Security help in Mexico dial toll free 01 800 772 6394 Office hours Monday thru Friday from 8:00 to 11:30 am and phone hours Monday thru Friday from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm closed on Mexican and American holidays and the last weekday of the month.

You can schedule an appointment, update your address and your direct deposit information, report payment issues, obtain information....and much more. Social Security closer to you than ever! All our services are free Progreso 175, Col. Americana, Guadalajara, Jalisco 44100

Archived