Chapala.com Webboard

Auto Dealer has Nationalized a NAFTA Vehicle That Qualifies Inside Mexico For An Expat

It appears there is a legit way to nationalize your US or Canadian registered vehicle between 1985 and 2007 NAFTA built without going to the border:

"The documents are sent to a dealership in Tamaulipas. The dealership imports the vehicle and then sells the vehicle back to you. You receive a factura, a copy of the pedimento, tarjeta de circulacion for Tamaulipas and all sorts of official looking window stickers. It would be similar if one bought a used vehicle in Tamaulipus. We received our plates last week and are changing to Yucatan plates this week. I believe one has 30 days to change plates to the state that matches the drivers license held by the owner."

I presume it is a costly procedure. This is good news for some.

So whatever the dealer in Tamaulipas charges to do the nationalization and sell it back to you is ONE cost. The second cost is to drive the car to the state where you live--tolls, gasoline, etc. The third cost is to 'dar de baja' (deactivate) the cost of the brand-new Tamaulipas registration and license plates. The fourth cost is to pay for registration and license plates for your actual state of residence. Others have posted here that in Jalisco, that fourth cost can be as much as 3,000MN.

Am I missing something?

So whatever the dealer in Tamaulipas charges to do the nationalization and sell it back to you is ONE cost. The second cost is to drive the car to the state where you live--tolls, gasoline, etc. The third cost is to 'dar de baja' (deactivate) the cost of the brand-new Tamaulipas registration and license plates. The fourth cost is to pay for registration and license plates for your actual state of residence. Others have posted here that in Jalisco, that fourth cost can be as much as 3,000MN.

Am I missing something?

No need to drive the vehicle to Tamaulipas.

The rules for auto dealers has a few differences, I would call perks, that citizens and legal residents do not have.

Some auto dealers have Amparos also that are still current.

One auto dealer in Nuevo Laredo can nationalize NAFTA vehicle from 1950 to 2007 at the same duty as the other customs brokers on the border nationalizing 1984 to 2007 NAFTA vehicles by selling your car to them, they nationalize It, get local registration and plates and sell it back to you.This broker uses them and he appears not to charge outrageous fees:

http://www.importaciondeautos.com/#

No need to drive the vehicle to Tamaulipas.

The rules for auto dealers has a few differences, I would call perks, that citizens and legal residents do not have.

Some auto dealers have Amparos also that are still current.

One auto dealer in Nuevo Laredo can nationalize NAFTA vehicle from 1950 to 2007 at the same duty as the other customs brokers on the border nationalizing 1984 to 2007 NAFTA vehicles by selling your car to them, they nationalize It, get local registration and plates and sell it back to you.

I have read it is a bit difficult to deactivate a current registration in some states, even that you have to have the vehicle with you to do so with extra documents from that state. Other states I have read no problem at all.

Here they want a document from the state you bought the vehicle and this might be the document that the vehicle registration has been deactivated in that state, but I forgot what it called, besides a Municipal office printout from where you bought it showing it is clear of all due fines etc. plus the other paperwork when buying.

The fee for registering is about $4,000 pesos for the first time for out of state vehicles [great guess on your part] or part of that as they prorate registration fees, here due every Jan. and Feb. so it might be a bit less depending.

The next registration due is much less expensive here but every 2 years they change the plate design and then it costs more that year. [i presume they charge for the cost of manufacturing your plate]

I have read it is a bit difficult to deactivate a current registration in some states, even that you have to have the vehicle with you to do so with extra documents from that state. Other states I have read no problem at all.

Here they want a document from the state you bought the vehicle and this might be the document that the vehicle registration has been deactivated in that state, but I forgot what it called, besides a Municipal office printout from where you bought it showing it is clear of all due fines etc. plus the other paperwork when buying.

The fee for registering is about $4,000 pesos for the first time for out of state vehicles [great guess on your part] or part of that as they prorate registration fees, here due every Jan. and Feb. so it might be a bit less depending.

The next registration due is much less expensive here but every 2 years they change the plate design and then it costs more that year. [i presume they charge for the cost of manufacturing your plate]

Why are you going thru all this and taking a risk on getting fake papers?

You can go to the Guad airport, get it done and know that you are legal.

Why are you going thru all this and taking a risk on getting fake papers?

You can go to the Guad airport, get it done and know that you are legal.

Simply because some people live quite a drive from Guadalajara.

The fee at the custom brokers at the Guadalajara airport are not outrages considering all someone would have to go through driving to Nuevo Laredo to save money if you have a 2007, 2006 , even a nice 2005 vehicle. IMO

My friend nationalized a 1999 Chevy pickup in Mexicali for $500.00 US. Broker there, I have meet 4 times now, charged him a $65.00 US fee. No problems with plates after several years of renewals.

Interesting. We will get our plates and registration from a small town near Mexico City soon for my 2008 NAFTA made vehicle. The pedimento follows later. The cost is 21,000 p total. Of that 7000 p when plates ordered, 7000 p when plates arrive and 7000 p when pedimento comes. My understanding is even newer vehicles can be processed.

I´ve read auto dealers can nationalized newer than 2007 vehicles also. Probably without taking them to the border but a higher duty.

Wow, I was at the airport today and no one nationalized me? What did I miss?

Some people are always in the wrong place when the fun is going on.

We were over at customs talking to a very nice young woman. What were you doing?

• 2 weeks later...

The more I read the more confused I get! Some say 2008 vehicles will be able to be nationalized in Nov. of this year and Ajijic has said he has just done a 2008 now! Can you be sure it is perfectly legal? With so much going on with illegal papers cropping up everywhere, how do you know who you can trust? What broker is reputable?

I am currently spending the summer in Ontario and would very much like to bring my 2008 Ford to Ajijic when we head that way in early October. Our FM3's are due for Permanente Oct. 26th. Could I bring the car in under a TIP with the FM3 when it is due to expire in 2 weeks? Once here do I have to wait until Nov. to nationalize the Ford? Can I actually nationalize the Ford at the border when we enter Mexico? Can I start the process before I leave Ontario and have it complete when I get to Mexico or do I have to wait until we actually apply for Permanente and then start the car process? So many questions keep cropping into my confused little mind! I definately need help!

Correction, we can get vehicles nationalized between 1983 and 2007 for 18000 to 25,000 p. We have 12 in progress. You do not leave your home. In November one can nationalize 2008 vehicles. Others have written as to nationalizing newer but I am not aware. The person we work with was employed by Aduana for many years.

We were quoted 25,000-26,000 to nationalize our 2005 Chrysler Town & Country minivan without taking it to the border. They are a reputable company and are being very careful not to have problems like Tio Corp did. Karen is the contact there. You do NOT have to have your Permanente first. That quote does not include the Jalisco plates which you will have to get on your own in Guadalajara. If you are not comfortable doing the plates on your own there are lots of bilingual people around who will help for a price.

Correction, we can get vehicles nationalized between 1983 and 2007 for 18000 to 25,000 p. We have 12 in progress. You do not leave your home. In November one can nationalize 2008 vehicles. Others have written as to nationalizing newer but I am not aware. The person we work with was employed by Aduana for many years.

I'm confused because in one of your postings (below) you say that the work is done at the border through UCD but then in another you say what your wife is doing is separate from UCD and we can get 'normal' plates wherever we live. :017: Please clarify.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

In SMA one can nationalize a NAFTA car for between 14,500 for a 4 cylinder 1996 vehicle to 22,900 pesos for a 2007 V8 vehicle without leaving the city. Photos etc are taken locally and process it is done at the border by the very reputable organization called UCD.

I'm confused because in one of your postings (below) you say that the work is done at the border through UCD but then in another you say what your wife is doing is separate from UCD and we can get 'normal' plates wherever we live. :017: Please clarify.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

In SMA one can nationalize a NAFTA car for between 14,500 for a 4 cylinder 1996 vehicle to 22,900 pesos for a 2007 V8 vehicle without leaving the city. Photos etc are taken locally and process it is done at the border by the very reputable organization called UCD.

Sorry for not being clear. What we are doing now is processing 12 expat vehicles. The total fees for these 12 vary between 19500 and 23000 pesos. This includes courier of documents if one is not local. Each vehicle depending on year, number of cylinders, gas vs diesel, options etc as all indicated by VIN varies the price. The process takes up to a month but typically quite a bit less.

First, all that is needed is a copy of title and with that we should have the total cost within a day.

Should you wish to proceed we require photos: side view, driver's door jam which shows VIN etc, and the VIN taken up close usually at bottom of windshield on driver's side (taken from outside car and blocking sun so it shows up clearly).

Copies of:

1. visa or passport

2. title

3. utility bill

4. Mexican driver's license front and back

The person we are working with was previously with Aduana for 12 years. The broker is in Laredo.

Some pedimentos, receipts and titles have been issued but they started previously before we got involved and were Mexicans with "chocolates" ie illegal US vehicles with no car permits.

John

Thanks, so to be clear, you're not working with UCD to nationalize these vehicles?

Has the broker in Laredo accepted Canadian registration as the 'title'? The one we contacted a couple of weeks ago (Cuevas) said they cannot do Canadian vehicles.

What a pain. :wacko:

To get a quote we sent in Canadian registrations from both Ontario and BC the latter being a very different format and quotes came back on both indicating not an issue. My wife deals directly with the car owner and they do not leave their home.

The documents to obtain the pedimento we sent in today were all emailed from Manzanillo and the car is registered in BC, Canada. No inspection is required. Note, we are told unless car is presented at the border the deposit if paid will not be returned.

My question still remains: Can I bring in a 2008 vehicle and get a TIP at the border when my FM3 clearly states it is expiring within 2 weeks? Will Aduana concern themselves with what will happen to the vehicle from FM3 expiry until November when it can legally be nationalized? Is this the right thing to do or should I wait another year before importing?

The TIP will expire in 2 weeks. We had a client and hers expired in 2 days!!!! That was when her visa expired. She became Permanent Resident and lost the deposit even though letters to Aduana in Mexico City etc. This is one of the absurdities of the current practices.

If you renew as a Temp Resident non-lucrative it is possible to protect deposit. As a PR no unless car leaves within the 2 weeks.

There are literally thousands of us with a PR visa and illegal foreign cars at this time. I am in same predicament and will drive car until November when I can legalize. Now, if I could find a dealer who will take it on a trade as some indicated...awesome.

Archived