Chapala.com Webboard

What age do you see yourself - in your minds eye?

I recently had family members visiting. My sister in law is a fit 62 year old that wears hip clothes and leads a very active life. She is retiring in a month.

I brought my visitors to a party. Really funny, crazy people. Lots of drinking and dancing and joking around. My visitors seemed to have fun, but my sister in law was very quiet going home. I asked her if she had a good time.

She said, "Yes, but............. am I really that old? Everyone had white hair! There were people with canes!"

I remember thinking the same thing when I first visited here. I was struck by all the white hair.... tables in restaurants full of old people. In the past few years...... I tend not to notice or even think of people as old. My best friend is in her 70s and is younger in the way she lives than any of my friends. I asked her what her "mental age" was. She said, "mid thirties.... sometimes 17".

So I am wondering.... how old do you feel? Does living here make you feel younger than you felt NOB? Do your NOB peers seem older to you than your Lakeside peers?

I feel much younger than my chronological age until I look in the mirror or listen to my body. I am at peace and happy most of the time so the number of candles I have blown out is of no consequence. I try not to wear white tennis shoes too often because I don't like our nickname " Q tip " .

This is an interesting question which I have pondered in the 3-1/2 years living Lakeside. I feel younger and more vibrant without the stress of the Bay Area of California and commuting, work, dealing with Marin County SOB's and their "entitled ways".

However, sometimes the age demographic does get to me and I start to lose my sense of humor so what do I do? I take myself for a little vakay to Puerto Vallarta. I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea, and isn't the PV of 25 or 35 years ago that I fell in love with, but I still love PV -- long walks on the Malecon, fun shopping for bling sandals, dancing till 6 am in the morning with a Mexican friend, hangin' out with the Shaw sisters of Cassandra Shaw jewelry, eating at Joe Jack's Fish Shack, the lights of the new pier, and mostly being on the Pacific Ocean as I was raised in Southern California a couple miles from the beach. It is in my blood.

But I would say most gray haired people here have so much energy and adventure left in them that mostly I love interacting with all of them -- at art openings, dancing at different venues, at El Piano Rojo, having lunch together -- you name it.

Viva la Mexico!!!

Well, if you're Canadian, you could spell it "EH"GE and it would be a four letter word but still only represents a number. Some days I feel 85 and other days I'm my real age which is 62...but in my heart and mind I'm 18. Just 'cuz there's snow on the roof doesn't mean there isn't a fire in the furnace.

I feel young, vigorous, climbing mountains, sailing the seas and enjoying other adventures all over the world; especially the sight of various places. Then, I wake up and I am 75 again and everything is blurry. Oh well. Memories are still good.

This is one of the reasons because I urgently need to sell or at least rent my home here and relocate back in Mexico City or in some beach. I am in my 50´s, I left my job in the bank when I came here, now a days I REALLY miss some action! I was all the time, kind of hyperactive person, now my life is BORING! specially in this died town where there are any good "antro" or "disco", I need to live at least on Guadalajara. In this Country a person older than 40 never get a job, (a job in my field or at least a decently paid job). So every day here awaiting for somebody to buy my home is a real torture, now I am just watching tv or computer, I am feeling every day some new pain, some new health issues! I really need to get out of here, in Mexico City at least we have lots of day life, night life, lots of places to go, lots of things to do and see, at least the activity around us make life less boring. Here all the food is so greasy, all the music here is so old, and on top of the things we can not have a decent party because all the people in the houses around want to have silence! argh! I guess old age is contagious !

What an interesting question... when we were visiting Ajijic last winter, I just thought there was so much energy there... Gosh, we had trouble keeping up with the cocktail parties and dinner parties almost every night and I'm 58 ! We needed a vacation from our vacation when we got home.

That place is just amazing...must be something in the water or maybe its the thin oxygen level at that altitude !

This is one of the reasons because I urgently need to sell or at least rent my home here and relocate back in Mexico City or in some beach. I am in my 50´s, I left my job in the bank when I came here, now a days I REALLY miss some action! I was all the time, kind of hyperactive person, now my life is BORING! specially in this died town where there are any good "antro" or "disco", I need to live at least on Guadalajara. In this Country a person older than 40 never get a job, (a job in my field or at least a decently paid job). So every day here awaiting for somebody to buy my home is a real torture, now I am just watching tv or computer, I am feeling every day some new pain, some new health issues! I really need to get out of here, in Mexico City at least we have lots of day life, night life, lots of places to go, lots of things to do and see, at least the activity around us make life less boring. Here all the food is so greasy, all the music here is so old, and on top of the things we can not have a decent party because all the people in the houses around want to have silence! argh! I guess old age is contagious !

This place is only and exactly for retirees, I do not recommend this place for any yound person at all!

Sheldon, you make me feel so sad for you. I know the feeling of being trapped in Real Estate prison. I went through that 2008-2011. I finally thought, life is too short to spend any more time in a place I do not want to be. I sold at a big loss.... my first ever. I am still glad I did it. I hope you sell your house so you can be where you want to be. Maybe you could get together with "Dancing Queen" and at least get out some more.

I agree about the music. Kind of stuck in a time warp here.

I am stuck at 32 in my head. I do not know who that middle aged (If I live to be 112) person is in the mirror. However, if I do not get off my ### and go for a walk I am never going to be able to do the things I did when I was 32 and my physical age will be 82 before I know it!

(Another lazy day sitting in front of my Computer, "chatting" with you folks instead of enjoying the beautiful weather. Same as always.... taking too many breaks from household chores. Sigh.... back to work I go.)

True...but it's a great time warp with some great music. I agree with your advice Valgal...life's too short. We also "dumped" our beach house. We didn't lose money but we sure didn't make much. When you gotta make a change, you gotta just do it.

Io. feel much younger the age shown under my picture on my profile page. Now it is true that this picture was taken maybe 8 to 10 years ago.

You look very happy in the photo and if that is how you feel, and see yourself, then stick with that!

I'm an officially "old" person by the numbers, but in my head.....a kid lives and loves life. Sometimes I do notice how many people around me are getting on in age, but so many seem to be having a good time that it hardly matters. There are some people with a permanently disappointed expression, but it probably got stuck on their faces a long time ago. Others are bright eyed and have a happy look. Most of the latter have a passion of some kind, whether it's a charity, gardening, making art, playing games with their friends or anything else that gets their engines running.

Night clubbing never was my favorite thing.........so I don't miss it. Others need an environment with much more "action", and I say "go for it"!

I would advise anyone contemplating a move to this area to RENT and get the feel of the place. Our most unhappy poster obviously didn't do that before buying and is now in Sellers Hell with itchy feet. Hang in there, and liberation will come, Sheldon! Good luck and hope you find a buyer soon.

I do remember when I first visited. I thought that, since this is a Spanish country, meals would be eaten late, so I made hubby wait until 9:30 to go out for dinner (early I thought, but I was hungry!) and then we discovered that the sidewalks were rolled up and we were lucky to get a meal at that late hour. Came back and watched Monty Python on TV, the scene where Death comes to the English dinner party and no one pays attention, and I thought Monty Python had to have visited Ajijic. BUT, then I decided it was great to go into a restaurant and not be seated by the kitchen door because you were too old to look fashionable. This place has its charms, and one of them is that you are not made to feel old--Mexicans respect older people.

AGE is a topic I don't dwell on, it goes in the same bin as religion and politics. LOL

Music, Music, Music, keeps me feeling young!!! Especially when I hear an Oldie Goldie, each song brings a memory.

Every once in a while, " Time Life " will have some infomercials on TV advertising CD's. It's almost like a, "Name That Tune" advertisement, as they have so many songs they only have time for a line or two of the song. Sure does bring back great memories.

Fox ( Hmmmm a young fox ) Kit or Cub ??? :020:

I feel my age -- 61 -- but feel young and vigorous, getting my energy back to "normal" after a cancer op over 2 years ago. Working out 6 days a week to stay that way! Hope to have another 25 vigorous years to enjoy Lakeside. Life is what you make of it.

Archived