Chapala.com Webboard

Jeanne Chausee

I am shocked and very sorry to hear this. Over the years we had some funny, gossipy conversations. Sadly, I always worried that her weight would or could take a tragic toll. Poor Libby. She was a colorful woman and she'll be missed.

Lexy

My prayers are with the family. Although only here a short time, her place in the community was well known to me and I have heard much respect for her work and her life.

My condolences to LIbby and the family - she will be missed!

Very sad about Jeanne. Have been in contact with her over the past years since Ruthie Merrimer left town. She always did her best to get all of our articles re fundraisers and events into her columns in the Gdl. Reporter.She will certainly be missed by the Non-profits organizations. So sorry Libby for your loss.

We were just talking about her yesterday! I am so saddened to hear this news. She has always been such a bigger-than-life, colorful, eccentric and fun lady....She will be missed by all of us.

My thoughts are with Libby....So very sorry.

Val and John

Jeanne had been ill for about a year. She recovered and then relapsed.

This probably had an impact on her overall health.

About 12 years ago there was a presentation of The Vagina Monologues

All of us who were cast members had a party afterwards. I was the

only somewhat new resident of Lakeside... Everyone else had been here

for 16 years or more. They all started reminiscing about the

characters who had lived here and their escapades. It was the

funniest party I ever attended. Jeanne and the others were all

raconteurs. Jeanne and I talked about it on occasion and laughed

again.

At that same party Jeanne helped us plan a procession and vigil to

Barbara's Bazaar where Tommy had the ashes of Neill James which he

had absconded with when they were illegally dug up at LCS. He had a

standoff going with LCS and we jumped into the middle of it

We all had a good laugh.

Jeanne was one of a kind and we will never again see anyone quite like

her. One by one we are losing the old timers who were a different

breed of cat. They all had a sense of adventure and a sense of humor

to be able to live here when it was a spartan place for foreigners to

live.

Rest in peace Jeanne. I was so fortunate to know you.

Shocked, numbed, and certainly NOT ready to let her go. We still had way too much to talk about!

Besides, she was part of a rapidly vanishing breed of cool people who made every day here a little brighter simply by their presence,

their eccentricities, their wit, or their adventurous spirits.

If there's a Heaven, Jeanne, may it be filled with all the things you love best, including many cats!

And to you, Libby, there are simply no words that can in any way express my heartfelt sadness at your tremendous loss.

It was easy to forget what an exceptional writer Jeanne was. Her interviews were pure gold. She never interjected herself into the article but instead you felt you knew the essence of the person after you read her interviews. So very difficult to do in a limited space. She will be so very missed.

Condolences to Libby and the rest of her family. Jeanne was one beautiful person.

Since the Guad Reporter hasn't for some reason been delivered to Melaque yet this weekend, we still don't even know if that will end up being her last public address. We hope to still find her there one last time. We know her from the LLT but her almost ubiquitous contributions to the community are already remembered far and wide. She will be a lot of people to replace to keep the lines of communication that she maintained for so long still open (if you follow that logic). ¡Qué se vaya bien y con Díos!

IMX23_25expats_JeanneChausee.jpg?

Jeanne Chausee

Works at: Guadalajara Reporter

Originally from: I was born in Seattle, Washington and grew up there and in Missoula, Montana.

Lives in: Ajijic, Jalisco.

Living in Mexico: Most of the last twenty-eight years.

Why did you move to Mexico?

I came to teach at the American School of Guadalajara, and moved to Aguascalientes several years later. [Later] I moved to the Lake Chapala area, as my cousin and my best friend were living here by then (both died within two years of me moving here, which I thought was rude).

Tell us about your work as a columnist and writer for the Guadalajara Reporter.

I worked for the Guadalajara Reporter in the late 80s, with fellow reporter (now co-owner of the paper) Michael Forbes. He asked me if I would write theatrical reviews for productions at the Lakeside Little Theatre, the largest and longest-running English-language community theater in Mexico. Then I wrote about art projects around town. One day I opened the paper and found that I had a column called "Ribera Arts Review."

When my colleague Ruth Merrimer

the paper, I ended up with her Laguna Chapalac column, covering notices of meetings, lectures, news about charities, and such. I added space where I comment on "life here at Lakeside," or in general. Some call it my rant.

What other activities are you involved in here?

I belong to Democrats Abroad and the Ajijic Society of the Arts. By proxy, I'm very involved in my daughter Libby Townsend's project to aid the Tarahumara indigenous people of the Copper Canyon. Libby lives with me, and is the local office manager for the Guadalajara Reporter.

Do you have a specific Mexico "moment" that makes you think, "That's what I love about this place"?

I knew I was home the minute I arrived in Guadalajara the first time...but it was really nailed down when a classroom of eighth-graders at the American School surprised me on my first Teacher's Day by standing up and singing "Las Mañanitas" when I walked in. It has been a love affair from the beginning...

What are both the best and the hardest things about being an expat in Mexico?

The best part about being an expat (anywhere) is that we can chose to live the part of the local culture that we like and ignore the rest. The bad part is that when you live so far from family your grandchildren grow up calling you "Mexico Grandma," and you don't see them often enough. Of course, when you do it's a real celebration.

Archived