Chapala.com Webboard

Driving Someone Else's U.S. Plated Car from MX across U.S. Border

mermaid38

Hi,

Next month, we are swapping ownership of our Mexican-plated car for a U.S.-plated car, since we are going to live in the states for awhile and our friends we are swapping cars with are staying here and want a MX plated car for obvious reasons.

Question: what forms will we need when we cross the border.....and are there any deadlines to be aware of?

thanks

What permit do your US friends have in order to have the car in the country?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm an American living here in Ajijic with FM3. I am purchasing an American-plated car from an American friend here in Ajijic. I have an Arizona driver's license and address.

My main concern is getting the car across the border without being the owner. My next concern is going to a Texas DMV to transfer the title since I'm not a resident there and my license of from AZ. Driving to Arizona is farther, and scarier.

Does anyone know the easiest way to get my new car into the US so I can transfer title?

I'm an American living here in Ajijic with FM3. I am purchasing an American-plated car from an American friend here in Ajijic. I have an Arizona driver's license and address.

My main concern is getting the car across the border without being the owner. My next concern is going to a Texas DMV to transfer the title since I'm not a resident there and my license of from AZ. Driving to Arizona is farther, and scarier.

Does anyone know the easiest way to get my new car into the US so I can transfer title?

Margaret - why not change the plates to South Dakota - it may need your friend to do this first, and then change the plates to your name - but this way you do not have to take the car to the border. Clay County, South Dakota is the location that is very helpful in doing this.

The care MUST go to the border the turn in the TIP and get a new one in her name.

ABSOLUTELY TRUE. You must go to the border and have the sticker removed by Banjerito, getting the official computer printed receipt for the seller. The sale must officially take place in the USA, so date any Mexican documents accordingly.

NOW, for the South Dakota option: If the buyer and seller have 100 percent faith in each other, they might sign over the title, which will need to be sent to SD, Clay County Treasurer, to obtain plates and SD title in advance, but two or three weeks. Once they have arrived in Mexico, the buyer could drive with the letter of permission, old notarized copy or orignial of saparate registration, if available, until crossing the border; at which point the new plates and title & registration in the buyer name would be in effect immediately. The buyer must then insure for Mexico and temporarily import the car in his own name, if returning to Mexico. Otherwise, insure for the USA and continue on.

One poster tried to do that with a 2008 vehicle and Texas wanted $700.00 US in taxes first plus a fee to register it and 2 weeks to deliver the title by mail to a US address. It might be worth it to drive to Nogales as there is an importer there who charges a fraction importers charge on the Texas border, gouging Expats. No re registering the car in another state and probably less taxes. Much simpler and only 400 miles farther and a safe drive.

Archived