Chapala.com Webboard

Min Wah for dinner

Mainecoons

Actually I was not being fair to the food should not make fun of their effort but I am sorry I never had a Hot and Sour soup with loads of sugar in it hence my nickname Sweet and Sour . .To be fair the soup was also hot as we ordered it extra hot so it should have called it "the Hot sweet and sour soup"..another invention.

Thanks for the clarification!

If you're ever in the DF with a midday mealtime to spare, let us know and we'll go to the Taiwanese restaurant not far from our house.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great! My cousin married a Tawainese woman but unfortunately he cooks way more often than she does so I would not mind having some good Chinese food for a change! Is that the place in Coyoacan?

I had a ticket to go to DF on the way back from Chiapas on the 18th but thanks to the teachers the Alebrije parade was rescheduled and I cannot go so I will fly back directly to Guadalajara.

When I went to Min Wah 13 years ago I went there to find out where to find Chinese ingredients, funny they barely used any... the food has improved they actually use waterchesnuts now.

I avoid all buffet and especially the Chinese ones, just because people are Chinese does not mean the food is good.

We have several restaurants in San Cristobal that are owned by Chinese and I was very encouraged when I heard the young men speak Mandarin, I immediately went to their restaurants.and they serve awful Cantonese food..I guess that is what people down there expect. Many of the Chinese in Chiapas came to build the railroad and they were Cantonese, somewhere along the line between forgetting how to cook and not having the proper ingredients the food went straight to hell.

I could use a simple authentic Chinese restaurant from any region if the food was good.

You pick, the Taiwanese restaurant near us (not in Coyoacán, though) or the DIM SUM restaurant not terribly far away. Taiwanese best for comida, good dim sum till 1PM every day.

And I can take you to get all the Chinese ingredients you want, both staples and produce--you will be so happy.

Just give us a few days' advance notice.

You pick, the Taiwanese restaurant near us (not in Coyoacán, though) or the DIM SUM restaurant not terribly far away. Taiwanese best for comida, good dim sum till 1PM every day.

And I can take you to get all the Chinese ingredients you want, both staples and produce--you will be so happy.

Just give us a few days' advance notice.

LOVE dim sum. Do they have old Chinese women pushing carts?

No, it is a very small place, too small for carts. There might be 10 tables total. It's more like a dim sum buffet--as the bamboo steamers come out of the kitchen onto the 'buffet' table, you go get what you want. Prices are 30-50 pesos per plate, one plate to a steamer. Har gow. Chinese tamales. Bao, some with char siu and others with--well, I forget with what. Trust me, compared to NO dim sum, this was fantastic. We'll be going again soon and this time I will take my camera!

I would guess that the unskilled Cantonese laborers, who came to the Americas to work on railroads, were probably not accustomed to the finer points of Chinese cuisine from any part of Chine, even their own. When the building boom was over, many opened laundries, a task with which they had more experience, I am sure. Some did try their hand at street food and used what they could find for ingredients; not what was available from China, for sure. As such, a Chinese-American menu was born and remains to this day. It is neither Chinese, nor American, and is certain to vary a great deal within one day of travel in any direction. Some is very tasty, even if unidentifiable. It is sort of like trying to find Mexican food in the USA or even Canada, eh?

Read here for the history of the Chinese in Mexico. Just don't GO here, the ownership of the restaurant has changed and the food is awful. What a loss!

http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2012/03/a-brief-history-of-comida-china-chinese-food-in-mexico-and-restaurante-dalian.html

Seven years ago we had a dreadful, half warmed over lunch there, but after reading some positive reviews, we tried the Saturday Buffet lunch today.

Uh..........maybe we'll try it again in seven years from now. It didn't come up to my lowered expectations. 2 out of 10.

Specifics? Where's the spices........like garlic? Flavorless spring rolls. Vegetable soup with undercooked broccoli and little flavor.

We'll try Chopsticks next. My taste buds long for some Chinese flavor. The heck with the non-atmosphere.

[....].and they serve awful Cantonese food...[...]

By which I take it to mean that they serve an awful version of "Cantonese" food, and not to mean that so-called "Cantonese" food is awful (a word usually used to refer to some buffet stuff in non-Asian countries)? Some of the finest and most loved dishes in mainland China and beyond are from southern China and Hong Kong and are renowned for their delicacy and freshness.

This is getting pretty hilarious... go, try, if you like... good. If you don't... oh, well. For any restaurant, anywhere. I'm willing to settle for half-a@@ed Chinese food... if I have to settle. And around here, most often, that seems to be the case. This is just not the country for a great choice in Chinese places.

Back home, Thai and Vietnamese is sweeping Ottawa ("Pho" seems to be the most popular new word in the language there, even though usually pronounced incorrectly). Why now? Dunno, Montreal had lots of great little places like that 35 years ago.

Montreal is just "down the road" from Ottawa... 35 years seems like an awfully long leakage... and of course Ottawa is rife with French. Since it is now hitting the whole country, I am guessing it didn't originate there. But who knows? As long as it is.

Archived