Chapala.com Webboard

mexico 10th happiest country in the world

traderspoc

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-happiest-countries-in-the-world-165510616.html

These are the happiest countries in the world.

10. Mexico
> Life satisfaction score: 7.3
> Self-reported good health: 66% (14th lowest)
> Employees working long hours: 28.6% (3rd highest)
> Disposable income: $12,732 (3rd lowest)
> Life expectancy: 74.2 years

Mexico received a high life satisfaction score despite receiving low scores in a number of categories that make up the OECD’s Better Life Index. No nation rated worse than Mexico in safety — the nation’s murder rate of 23.7 murders per 100,000 residents in 2011 was the highest of any OECD nation and more than 10 times the OECD average that year. Additionally, 13.1% of residents had been assaulted or mugged in 2012, also the highest of any nation considered. Mexico also ranked as one of the worst nations for both work-life balance and income. The nation had one of the lowest averages for household disposable income in the OECD, at just $12,732 as of 2010. This is less than a third of the average disposable income in the United States. However, none of these factors have prevented Mexicans from being satisfied with their lives.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-happiest-countries-in-the-world-165510616.html

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and I can see why :

importance of belonging to and being part of a family (something we have lost upnorth), the number of fiestas and lots and lots of sunlight..... They are romantic (importance of music), a fairly young and carefree popuation and also more capable of living today and not to worry about tomorrow.

There you have a lot of good reasons to be happy.

Rony :)

And, maybe lack of education plays a part, as it doesn't take a lot to please a 5th or 6th grader. Hard to find much on Mexican TV that is intellectual and thought provoking and not geared toward sex. :D

Most likely Mexicans are happy because they haven't been told life is supposed to make them happy like too many of us in the U.S. grow up believing. When you think you are guaranteed happiness and life is life, which is not often that happy, it is almost impossible to be satisfied with your life.

(Edited by moderator to remove gratuitous personal attack, poster warned.)

If this survey is based on average Mexican respondents, then sounds like the 5-6th grade education statement is about right, as most people are aware of how poor the Mexican education system is. Are there some very well educated Mexicans? Certainly, but most people in this country are very poor and very poorly educated. I think that has a part to play in what it takes for them to feel happy, along with the ability of living today and not worrying about tomorrow. Tomorrow is tomorrow.

If this survey is based on average Mexican respondents, then sounds like the 5-6th grade education statement is about right, as most people are aware of how poor the Mexican education system is. Are there some very well educated Mexicans? Certainly, but most people in this country are very poor and very poorly educated. I think that has a part to play in what it takes for them to feel happy, along with the ability of living today and not worrying about tomorrow. Tomorrow is tomorrow.

You think education is related to IQ? There are many high IQ people without formal education. Read the Bell Curve about intelligence.
Michael Faraday, revolutionized our understanding of electricity, and a whole lot more and he never had any formal education.
Abraham Lincoln, lawyer, U.S. president. Finished one year of formal schooling, self-taught himself trigonometry, and read Blackstone on his own to become a lawyer.
Amadeo Peter Giannini, multimillionaire founder of Bank of America. Dropped out of high school.
Andrew Carnegie, industrialist and philanthropist, and one of the first mega-billionaires in the US. Elementary school dropout.
Andrew Jackson, U.S. president, general, attorney, judge, congressman. Home-schooled. Became a practicing attorney by the age of 35 – without a formal education.
Andrew Perlman, co-founder of GreatPoint. Dropped out of Washington University to start Cignal Global Communications, an Internet communications company, when he was only 19.
Anne Beiler, multimillionaire co-founder of Auntie Anne’s Pretzels. Dropped out of high school.
Barbara Lynch, chef, owner of a group of restaurants, worth over $10 million, in Boston. Dropped out of high school.
And 95 more at that site.

Who said anything about IQ?

Jim Bowie wrote that Mexicans are happy because of a lack of education. Education has very little to do with the way one thinks. High IQ people self educate. Having or not having a formal education has nothing to do with someone being happy or the way one thinks.

Mexicans are probably happier because of less expectations, less money driven, more family closeness, more traditions, all the things our people had before we became successful.

Jim Bowie wrote that Mexicans are happy because of a lack of education.

One of us can't read, because I did not read that from what Bowie said.

Then read what Jim Bowie said and what Hook em Horns said over again.

Did anyone notice that Canada comes in at Number 8...Mexico at Number 10? And Canadians are the most educated people in the world and have held that standing for a while.

http://www.educationnews.org/higher-education/most-educated-countries/

In other words, education has boo diddley squat to do with Mexico's ranking.

From my own perspective...a Canadian living in Mexico...darn near close to Nirvana.

Think back, waaay back to when we were teenagers, adolescent young and full of "stuff" & vinegar, weren't we happy? - of course we were, we had, or took, little responsibility, life was a party, let's get wild and crazy - remember all that? Well friends and neighbors, look around you, you are living in the middle of a country whose culture is completely adolescent - in short, we're living in a country full of adolescent teenagers, run by teenagers. They don't think things through, they take little, if any, responsibility and they're not trying to set the world on fire, just a little hot spot under a globas.

Now, that being said, I'm not saying it's all bad, as the survey notes, folks are happy, tequila is cheap and available (as are other dalliances) and life is largely stress free (by our standards) it's the manana culture. In large part they're not rich, but they're happy and at least for me, I wish I could revert to my adolescent years and shed the stress of who I am and what I know - that I can't change.

Think back, waaay back to when we were teenagers, adolescent young and full of "stuff" & vinegar, weren't we happy? - of course we were, we had, or took, little responsibility, life was a party, let's get wild and crazy - remember all that? Well friends and neighbors, look around you, you are living in the middle of a country whose culture is completely adolescent - in short, we're living in a country full of adolescent teenagers, run by teenagers. They don't think things through, they take little, if any, responsibility and they're not trying to set the world on fire, just a little hot spot under a globas.

Now, that being said, I'm not saying it's all bad, as the survey notes, folks are happy, tequila is cheap and available (as are other dalliances) and life is largely stress free (by our standards) it's the manana culture. In large part they're not rich, but they're happy and at least for me, I wish I could revert to my adolescent years and shed the stress of who I am and what I know - that I can't change.

Exactly. I was about to contribute the same, but you beat me to it. Thanks.

Well, I'm slow at times and it must have taken me two years and a fair amount of cerveza to finally realize what was happening, once I did it changed the way I look at almost everything here in MX. It didn't "fix" any problems, and some days I'm still at wits end, but then I just calm down and put it in perspective, but it really does answer a lot of questions doesn't it?

Jim Bowie wrote that Mexicans are happy because of a lack of education. Education has very little to do with the way one thinks. High IQ people self educate. Having or not having a formal education has nothing to do with someone being happy or the way one thinks.

Mexicans are probably happier because of less expectations, less money driven, more family closeness, more traditions, all the things our people had before we became successful.

Joco, you took the words out of my mouth.

In my opinion, although I am not supporting lack of education, I do not think education or lack of is necessarily a determining factor in finding happiness or contentment. No matter where we live or how much money or education we have, we must ALL (Mexicans included) still deal with creditors, catastrophic illnesses, death, addictions, disputes, etc. And the University of Life can be very educational.

I see less stress with greater family closeness and support, a healthy attitude toward death and deformities, greater tolerance of others, less generation gap, and the ability to enjoy even the smallest things in life, as factors contributing to the high happiness rating in Mexico.

I also think the Mexicans are focused more on local or national news, rather than on global news and all the bizare craziness that is going on. Whether that is good or bad...well, who knows. The news certainly depresses ME! Yes, the Mexicans have drug cartels battling for the enormous NOB drug profits, but in the US we have senseless killings in schools and malls, people killing their own family members, etc.

Overall, IMHO, the Mexicans seem to live more by the well-known adage: "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

I think that despite our education, we can learn something from the Mexican outlook on life and be a little happier for it. Just one person's opinion.

Well friends and neighbors, look around you, you are living in the middle of a country whose culture is completely adolescent - in short, we're living in a country full of adolescent teenagers, run by teenagers. They don't think things through, they take little, if any, responsibility and they're not trying to set the world on fire, just a little hot spot under a globas.

Talk about inaccurate patronizing generalizations...

Can you even speak the language?How much do you know about Mexico,it's history and culture?

In my opinion, although I am not supporting lack of education, I do not think education or lack of is necessarily a determining factor in finding happiness or contentment. No matter where we live or how much money or education we have, we must ALL (Mexicans included) still deal with creditors, catastrophic illnesses, death, addictions, disputes, etc. And the University of Life can be very educational.

I see less stress with greater family closeness and support, a healthy attitude toward death and deformities, greater tolerance of others, less generation gap, and the ability to enjoy even the smallest things in life, as factors contributing to the high happiness rating in Mexico.

I also think the Mexicans are focused more on local or national news, rather than on global news and all the bizare craziness that is going on. Whether that is good or bad...well, who knows. The news certainly depresses ME! Yes, the Mexicans have drug cartels battling for the enormous NOB drug profits, but in the US we have senseless killings in schools and malls, people killing their own family members, etc.

Overall, IMHO, the Mexicans seem to live more by the well-known adage: "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

I think that despite our education, we can learn something from the Mexican outlook on life and be a little happier for it. Just one person's opinion.

That was the point I was trying to make but you made it better.

Talk about inaccurate patronizing generalizations...

Can you even speak the language?How much do you know about Mexico,it's history and culture?

He's just ticked over the car issue but so are most of us.

Archived