Chapala.com Webboard

Who can ask to see your visa and why does my TIP receipt have a 1 year expiration?

One month ago had to apply for the Residential Permanente because 4 years up and did not want to go El Norte to reapply, pay fine and face the new financials documentation. No brainier on that. Have old truck, California plated not worth effort or money to get Mexican plated that has the TIP windshield sticker. First question: I see some posts that say that cops are not allowed to demand to see your visa. If that is true how can they know my visa status and thus if I am qualified to drive my truck? I have a valid California drivers license, registration (in California called a pink slip) and current insurance. As far as I can tell this is all the documentation I need if stopped. Is this true? Second question: I was looking at my TIP receipt (green with silver laser type emblem on the upper left corner) and saw that there were in 2 places it shows dates 12/04/2008 - 11/04/2009 and then the number 365 (circled) On the bottom right it says: No. Internacion: 0, Dias Disponibles 365, Modulo de Exp; 411. April 4th, 2008 was the date that I crossed and got this TIP sticker. I always thought that as long as I maintained my visa the TIP would be valid. Within the past few years I have been pulled over a few times and shown this TIP receipt as well as the other documentation mentioned above and there never was a problem. Why is there a date limit on this receipt, and do i even have to present it if stopped? Thanks for any clarification.

Archived