Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for a Legitimate Broker to Nationalize an U.S. car at the Mexican border...

Looks like I am going to have to make a trip to the border to get my U.S. plated car Nationalized. I talked with Veronica at Strom White Moving thinking she might know a reliable Broker there but she only knows Brokers who deal with Household goods.

I'm hoping someone has had personal experience with a Broker in Nuevo Laredo and can share the information with me. I can combine the trip North with a shopping trip while there so I don't mind driving to the Border. :)

Mainly, I want to make sure I find someone who is legitimate and fair.

Any info./help would be appreciated!

As always, thanks for the help,

Valerie :)

I suggest you talk to Kevin Paulini at Ajijic Legal & Immigration. He has posted elsewhere on this webboard that he has referred people to a gentleman named Maurice Mora who has legally nationlized 60 foreign plated vehicles. And as noted by another poster on the Customs and Immigration section,he says that you do not have to take the vehicle to the border.

Valerie, my neighbor had a very positive experience with a broker at the Nogales border when he drove his Toyota pickup up there to get the pedimento, but that is quite a bit farther than Laredo. That broker was recommended on the Rolly Brook website. If you decide to go to Nogales and want that contact info, PM me and I'll get it from my neighbor. But as "cortland" says, there are facilitators who are able to get you legal pedimentos without going to the border. That's what my wife & I are planning to do.

Thanks for the info. on Maurice Mora. I did talk with him yesterday and using him is a possibility. I don't mind driving to the border as I always need something from NOB anyway and I can combine the Nationalization of the car with a much needed shopping spree. As we all know, there are just some things that can't be put into a suitcase and flown into Mexico!

Since I really do need a trip NOB by car, I would prefer to do it at the border and save a bit of money as well. From what I understand, the fixed fees are $18,500 pesos for the Federal Govt., $5,000 pesos for the Jalisco Govt., and $10,000 pesos for Maurice's work.

Nogales really is MUCH further than Nuevo Laredo so I am still hoping someone local has had a positive experience with a Broker in Nuevo Laredo.

Thanks!

We are also interested in what info you get Valerie. Driving to Nogales is a pretty grueling trip so we prefer Laredo. The end of August is when our FM3 with a 3 on the back expires. I read in another post that someone went to the border prior to having their Permanente and got all the paperwork done. When they returned they just had to wait until they had their Permanente cards in hand before they got their Jalisco plates. Anyone else know about this? We would prefer to do this so we don't have to get a Returno Seguaro letter to travel to the border with. We have a Mexican beater car we can drive for a month when we get back.

Thanks for the info. on Maurice Mora. I did talk with him yesterday and using him is a possibility. I don't mind driving to the border as I always need something from NOB anyway and I can combine the Nationalization of the car with a much needed shopping spree. As we all know, there are just some things that can't be put into a suitcase and flown into Mexico!

Since I really do need a trip NOB by car, I would prefer to do it at the border and save a bit of money as well. From what I understand, the fixed fees are $18,500 pesos for the Federal Govt., $5,000 pesos for the Jalisco Govt., and $10,000 pesos for Maurice's work.

Nogales really is MUCH further than Nuevo Laredo so I am still hoping someone local has had a positive experience with a Broker in Nuevo Laredo.

Thanks!

Valerie...was the 5000 pesos for Jalisco for the plates? We're the prices you were quoted for the complete package?

Joni

Valerie...was the 5000 pesos for Jalisco for the plates? We're the prices you were quoted for the complete package? Joni

A few months ago, Maurice Mora quoted me a total of MXN$36,950 to nationalize a 2003 Jeep Liberty, made up as follows:

Aduana (customs) MXN$20,000; Permit MXN$ 1,450; Payments to Jalisco State for plates etc. MXN$5,000. Agent's fee MXN$10,000.

Yes, it is not cheap and some will say it is not worth it for a 10 year old car. But I estimate that the cost of dog sitters, gas, accomodation on the journey, meals etc. plus air fares for two of us to fly back would be just as much. And then we would need to buy another vehicle here, which I am sure would cost more than what we would get for the Jeep in Ontario.

We used a Laredo broker that we were happy with , but, can't find their card. They operate under the name of 5 brothers. I'm sure a search will turn them up.

A few months ago, Maurice Mora quoted me a total of MXN$36,950 to nationalize a 2003 Jeep Liberty, made up as follows:

Aduana (customs) MXN$20,000; Permit MXN$ 1,450; Payments to Jalisco State for plates etc. MXN$5,000. Agent's fee MXN$10,000.

Yes, it is not cheap and some will say it is not worth it for a 10 year old car. But I estimate that the cost of dog sitters, gas, accomodation on the journey, meals etc. plus air fares for two of us to fly back would be just as much. And then we would need to buy another vehicle here, which I am sure would cost more than what we would get for the Jeep in Ontario.

The price is too high. 2006 Jeep at the airport is $28,500MXN and the plates are $1400MXN.

Great! Thanks for all the info. and contact info. too. I think we'll be doing this in either early to mid June or mid July. Will definitely share what I experience in Nuevo Laredo.

Great! Thanks for all the info. and contact info. too. I think we'll be doing this in either early to mid June or mid July. Will definitely share what I experience in Nuevo Laredo.

Valerie...sent you a PM

With all the phony counterfeit nationalizations which have been lamented on this board, how do you know for sure that the place you go will furnish you with the real thing?

Because maybe others have had good and legal paperwork with brokers at the border. People are willing to share good information.

Val we stayed at the Comfort inn behind the mall at exit 3 heading north. beautiful rooms, great breakfast

Val, I suspect you may be looking for a pet friendly facility when you do this. I have never been able to find any in Nuevo Laredo, MX. Please shoot me an email or a PM if you ever find one.

La Quinta in Laredo was pet friendly when we were there last year....I do not know if it changed or not

The La Quinta in Laredo, TX does accept pets with no additional fee. In fact, ALL La Quinta's in the USA accept Pet's without an additional fee. There are over ten hotels in Laredo, TX that accept pets, but La Quinta is always my first budget priced choice.

However, Val was asking about Nuevo Laredo, Mexico. I have never found any pet friendly hotels on that side of the border.

Thanks for the notes on pet friendly hotels. In this case, the babies will have to stay in Ajijic with a pet/house sitter. We need to have the freedom to shop while there and I don't like the idea of leaving them in a hotel room, unattended. As much as I hate to leave them in Ajijic, I think they will be safer and more comfortable at home.

Thanks again for thinking of my little ones....

Archived