Chapala.com Webboard

Drivers license fee in Chapala

I just stopped by the transito office and picked up a printed list of requirements for a first time drivers license. This printout is in English and says that I need to make a payment of $37.00 ...that doesn't sound right. I thought it was more. Does anyone know how much the fee is?

Yes, I just trudged back up there....OMG it's hot out there! They were closed but I was able to talk to a transito and he told me that amount was not correct and reminded me that I drive a truck so I need a chofers license.

The form that was given to me earlier says " lost license" at the top....I explained to her that I did not lose my license and I have never had a Mexican drivers license and she told me that the requirements were the same...she said that " yes" I can pay at the bank before I come in for the test, transito says no i have to pay after the test. I speak Spanish well enough so this was not a language glitch.

So beware if you get this form...all you will do is waste $37.00 and a trip to the bank. It was the only form in English.

Archived