Chapala.com Webboard

Loss of TIP Deposit on FM3 Renewal

Ezzie

I recently took my vehicle out of Mexico and stopped at the Columbia crossing to cancel my TIP. All went as expected, I turned in my windshield sticker, original of the paperwork and had all VIN#s validated by the lady at the Banjercito kiosk.

I never received my deposit refund so I followed up with Banjercito. They told me that my TIP deposit had not been refunded because the TIP had expired when my "Non-inmigrado Rentista" (FM3) expired at the end of March. At that time my deposit was forwarded to the Mexican Treasury.

30 days prior to the expiry of my "Non-Inmigrado Rentista" (at the end of February), I submitted my application to renew to the new "Temporal Resident" status however I did not receive my new card back from Mexico City prior to the expiry of my previous visa. Concerned at the time of the potential loss of my TIP deposit, I paid Spencer/Denise at Intercasa 300 pesos to obtain the TIP extension letter from Aduana. They did and I carried this with me to the border when I crossed a week ago and also presented this to the Banjercito kiosk at Columbia. Seems it didn't help. The explanation I got was that letter was only a "notification" letter and I still need to get a letter now from Aduana to "instruct" Banjercito to refund my deposit.

I have just asked Spencer/Denise for help with this since I don't know who or where to get this letter and I thought that was part of Spencer's service for the 300 peso charge to get you TIP expiry date moved to coincide with the expiry of your renewed Resident Temporal.

Anybody else on here that has lost their deposit because of the slowness of INM to turn around visa renewals? Anyone been able to recover their deposit and if so, how long did it take?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is an email my wife got on a similar issue: "I got a letter from Aduana on Friday saying they have canceled my temporary auto import permit. They said it's because there is a new law that temporary residents with "lucrativa" on their visas cannot drive foreign cars. I don't believe this. Do you know of such a law? They said I have lost my $300 deposit even though I renewed and took my proof of renewal to Aduana in Querétaro on time.

When I called Aduana in D.F. to ask about this, a licensiada said I should call a broker who will get me a "permanent import permit." I have never heard of this. Is it the same as nationalizing the car? I heard from the Yucalandia website that people are getting ripped off. Permits are being issued that LOOK official but are fakes, and the cars are being confiscated. So who can I trust?"

My TIP was not a fake. It was the original document and windshield sticker that I received when I brought the vehicle into Mexico last December. I didn't even get 6 months out of it since the expiry date was tied to the expiry date of my "Non-Inmigrado Rentista" that was valid at the time. The problem here is that if INM doesn't turn your new "Resident Temporal" around within the 30 day renewal window, it seems you lose your deposit - DESPITE - carrying with you the Aduana extension letter that Spencer got for me. So therefore, I have been driving around for the past couple of months with an illegal vehicle and it could have been seized by the police?

I did everything humanly possible and I am still out $360 because of INM.

.... and, I now am wondering if I will be able to get back into Mexico in a few week's time when I return. It will be interesting when I arrive at the border and try to take out a new TIP. Will they think I am not entitled since I have "used up" my one time allowance?

A woman arrived last Thursday driving through Laredo. Her visa expired Friday and with the help of my wife she applied for her Permanent Resident visa on Friday as that was exactly 4 years. He car permit was literally for 2 days and expired Friday. She went to Aduana in Queretaro and might as well talked to the wall. Technically her car is illegal and deposit lost.

I agree with Mainecoons and this has become absurd.

This is an email my wife got on a similar issue: "I got a letter from Aduana on Friday saying they have canceled my temporary auto import permit. They said it's because there is a new law that temporary residents with "lucrativa" on their visas cannot drive foreign cars. I don't believe this. Do you know of such a law? They said I have lost my $300 deposit even though I renewed and took my proof of renewal to Aduana in Querétaro on time.

When I called Aduana in D.F. to ask about this, a licensiada said I should call a broker who will get me a "permanent import permit." I have never heard of this. Is it the same as nationalizing the car? I heard from the Yucalandia website that people are getting ripped off. Permits are being issued that LOOK official but are fakes, and the cars are being confiscated. So who can I trust?"

Inmigrante Rentistas could have TIPs. Inmigrante with a Lucritiva could not, No Inmigrantes could have TIPs. That law/rule has been in effect at least since "Ăºltima modificaciĂ³n : 27/mayo/2013, 11:37, informaciĂ³n vigente.

""Permit limits

The terms of the permit are:

"For foreigners

The term is given to return the vehicles is the effect of immigration status, its extensions, extensions, endorsements or change of nonimmigrant visa status to immigrant financier [rentista], provided there is continuity in migration status granted in accordance Law of matter so that the term of temporary import permit vehicle may be credited with the official document issued by the immigration authorities, without requiring authorization from the customs authorities."

""Obligation to register and return the vehicle"

"If you do not return the vehicle, your deposit will be held and Banjército transfers the amount to the Federal Treasury, no later than the second banking day following the day on the expiration of the term of the temporary. If you left a deposit and get an extension, expansion or endorsement of its quality or change in noinmigrante visa status to inmigrante rentista, provided there is continuity in migration categories, so that it does not become effective must present personally in any of the 49 customs of the country in free format a letter giving notice of that fact within 15 working days following the day on which he shall have been granted an extension, expansion, endorsement or change in immigration status of inmigrante to inmigrante rentista and must attach a copy of proof of such proceedings, and the temporary import permit [TIP] of the vehicle and, if appropriate, the admission card."

I would venture to guess her term "permanent import permit" refers to a pedimento, nationalizing the vehicle.

So in conclusion losing the TIP deposit and having an expired TIP is what will happen if you are a Residente Temporal with a Permiso para Trabajar and not a Residente Temporal Rentista [retiree] with which a TIP can be renewed now. If over the 45 days to notify ADUANA in writing of your INM change in visa status your deposit will be lost usually. I have heard people getting a TIP renewal after 2 months of their previous visa expiring and then receiving their Residente Temporal Rentista visa in Puerto Vallarta and Queretaro City ADUANA offices lately. Alan

My "Non-Inmigrante Rentista" expired March 26th. The Aduana notification of extension letter is dated April 10th (couldn't get it until I got my new "Resident Temporal" card).

Still lost my TIP deposit. Banjercito said they already had transferred the funds to the Federal Treasury.

If you notified on time then it can take months for them to fix it, we have had many peoples money refunded months later, it just takes patience. If we did the notification then there is evidence you did your part fine, the one office that receives it in Mexico City needs to get the info to the other department and they aren´t very fast.

My "Non-Inmigrante Rentista" expired March 26th. The Aduana notification of extension letter is dated April 10th (couldn't get it until I got my new "Resident Temporal" card).

Still lost my TIP deposit. Banjercito said they already had transferred the funds to the Federal Treasury.

The way they state it in the ADUANA website is the deposit is transferred within 2 days of the original 180 TIP expiration date to the Federal Treasury and held there if you are an INM visa holder classified as a Rentista. The deposit is good if you notify ADUANA within 15 days of any INM renewals or appropriate visa changes without a break in renewals. Then if you do not within 45 days of getting a new INM visa that is when the deposit is not held there and lost.

I believe a former FM-3 visa holder and a non-inmigrante who were "lucrative" could have a foreign plated car. Based on my post above this may not be true any longer and will mean thousands of expats who are lucrative Temporary Residents will be shocked to discover their car is illegal if this is true. The end result could be confiscation and / or if in an accident insurance not covering your car as it is illegal and you would never know until it happened.

For those who think it is just grumpy old folks wanting to keep a car here forever it is far more. It is loosing deposits when in no way in heck should you have; it is driving into Mexico and having a car permit expiration date the following day; it is those who are preapproved as a Permanent Resident who drive into Mexico and only then discover in 30 days (which may before the time your visa even arrives) your car is illegal and no one told you at the consulate; it is having no web site or contact that will give consistent clear answers; it is the unknown and guessing that does not have to be; it is the total incompetence of the Mexican government regarding this issue.

What is this "one time" business? If the tourist visa is properly surrendered before expiration and the TIP also turned in at the same time, is there any restriction on getting a new tourist visa and TIP with it in the same year? Are Aduana and INM making up more of their own laws?

The other countries that understand what a good thing it is for expats to come and bring money with them have to be thanking the Mexican government for the mess they have made of this and their heavy handed treatment of the expat community.

I believe a former FM-3 visa holder and a non-inmigrante who were "lucrative" could have a foreign plated car. Based on my post above this may not be true any longer and will mean thousands of expats who are lucrative Temporary Residents will be shocked to discover their car is illegal if this is true.

I remember a FM2 lucrative visa holder could not have a TIP. I might have read a FM3 lucrative could have a TIP for 180 days but had to get the car back to the border after that. Ex.: temporary workers granted a work permit in Mexico. This would be the old rules before they updated the ADUANA website and strictly used FM2 and FM3 terms.

Well dear actually nobody.

If you notified on time then it can take months for them to fix it, we have had many peoples money refunded months later, it just takes patience. If we did the notification then there is evidence you did your part fine, the one office that receives it in Mexico City needs to get the info to the other department and they aren´t very fast.

Thanks Spencer. Yes, I did all of this through your office and the Aduana notification was done on time. I have sent you and Denise an email to see if you can help me recover my deposit.

I believe a former FM-3 visa holder and a non-inmigrante who were "lucrative" could have a foreign plated car. Based on my post above this may not be true any longer and will mean thousands of expats who are lucrative Temporary Residents will be shocked to discover their car is illegal if this is true. The end result could be confiscation and / or if in an accident insurance not covering your car as it is illegal and you would never know until it happened.

For those who think it is just grumpy old folks wanting to keep a car here forever it is far more. It is loosing deposits when in no way in heck should you have; it is driving into Mexico and having a car permit expiration date the following day; it is those who are preapproved as a Permanent Resident who drive into Mexico and only then discover in 30 days (which may before the time your visa even arrives) your car is illegal and no one told you at the consulate; it is having no web site or contact that will give consistent clear answers; it is the unknown and guessing that does not have to be; it is the total incompetence of the Mexican government regarding this issue.

I feel things like this happen because all the Secretarias involved in this are separate institutions and don´t "care" what the others do or say. You coming from a Social Democracy in Canada should have been best at understanding how compartmentalized gov´t. institutions are from one another.

Things like that happen because Mexican Consulates are part of the SRE (SecretarĂ­a de Relaciones Exteriores) while INM is part of SEGOB (SecretarĂ­a de GobernaciĂ³n). Unfortunately, these two branches of the federal government don't work together to coordinate the hoops foreigners have to jump through to get residence visas.

ADUANA is part of SAT.

Why are you surprised?

"Different strokes for different folks" syndrome here.

It takes the patience of a saint, and I haven't been canonized........yet. :)

I asked the person I have been emailing back and forth with at Banjercito why they are not getting their information "sync'd" up with Aduana and INM regarding these TIP extensions. I also explained where I think the process is broken and asked if there is anyone in Banjercito's Mgmt. I could speak with about getting this process looked at. Here is the reply I got, some of you may find it interesting.

"You’re right, the problem is a communication between INM-Aduanas-Banjercito, if you like a turist received on time your new resident visa only have 15 natural days to advice at nearest Aduana Office about this renew; that Aduana send the documents to Headquarters where decide if your refund can be done; Banjercito just make what Aduana determinate; in so many cases determination is not refund warranty deposit.

What can foreign people do? Return to border driving the car before they expiration dates and cancel the TIP; then when they have their Residente Temporal Visa apply for a new one.

Contact INM two months before their expiration date to verify the process and how INM can do it faster.

Other option is to apply for a definitely importation.

Other one is buy a Mexican car.

Other one is not keep vehicles with foreign plates at Mexico longer than their migratory status."

• 2 weeks later...

I asked the person I have been emailing back and forth with at Banjercito why they are not getting their information "sync'd" up with Aduana and INM regarding these TIP extensions. I also explained where I think the process is broken and asked if there is anyone in Banjercito's Mgmt. I could speak with about getting this process looked at. Here is the reply I got, some of you may find it interesting.

"You’re right, the problem is a communication between INM-Aduanas-Banjercito, if you like a turist received on time your new resident visa only have 15 natural days to advice at nearest Aduana Office about this renew; that Aduana send the documents to Headquarters where decide if your refund can be done; Banjercito just make what Aduana determinate; in so many cases determination is not refund warranty deposit.

What can foreign people do? Return to border driving the car before they expiration dates and cancel the TIP; then when they have their Residente Temporal Visa apply for a new one.

Contact INM two months before their expiration date to verify the process and how INM can do it faster.

Other option is to apply for a definitely importation.

Other one is buy a Mexican car.

Other one is not keep vehicles with foreign plates at Mexico longer than their migratory status."

What can foreign people do?

If you talk with SAT people on their INFOSAT phone that specializes in vehicle TIPs, they tell you to send a letter requesting to extend your TIP expiration date (another) year to Aduana 2 weeks before your TIP expires, to preserve your $$ deposit with Banjercito. You include your INM proof that you have a NON-WORKING (rentista) Residente Temporal application officially being processed. The best proof of this is to include a copy of your Garantia de Pago form that shows you have paid INM. Since June 2010, we had to notify Aduana early, in time for them to notify Banjercito before the expiration date (+ 14 days), so that we had a valid INM application in process to protect the $$ deposit for the past 2 years. No change in that with the Nov 2012 INM rule changes or with Aduana policy.

Just like the FM2/Inmigrante Working - lucrativa visa: Residente Temporales are not allowed to have foreign plated TIP cars, so, this part of the Aduana rules did not change. By combining the old FM3 with the FM2, into a single Residente Temporal, the lucrativa FM3/No Inmigrante's lose their ability to keep a foreign plated TIP car.

We are working on your deposit recovery and many times aduana messes up, you notified on time so it is getting them the proof of that and having them refund the deposit. They have been maiing lots of errors lately, almost hoping nobody fights it, but we do, that is what is included in our fee.

Seems like maybe Aduana is making up all these new rules (i.e.Temporal lucrativa vehicles now illegal, giving out 30 day permits to those who have applied at consulates up north, when those people can't possibly have their paperwork done here in time) just to have an excuse to grab all these deposits. Like 10s of thousands of dollars. If not, it sure looks like that. Not very conducive to attracting new foreign investment.

10s of thousands? Thy hundreds or millions over a few years time.

A woman arrived last Thursday driving through Laredo. Her visa expired Friday and with the help of my wife she applied for her Permanent Resident visa on Friday as that was exactly 4 years. He car permit was literally for 2 days and expired Friday. She went to Aduana in Queretaro and might as well talked to the wall. Technically her car is illegal and deposit lost.

I agree with Mainecoons and this has become absurd.

It's more than absurd. It's downright unhealthy. Going way back to psychology 1A, I recall the rats and the maze. They have two paths having a piece of cheese at the end, however they are met with an electrical shock before they ever get there.

The two largest and very powerful Mexican auto dealer associations met with the government in past few weeks. I believe that is why Aduana is saying to HE!! with expats and being totally ignorant.

Archived