Chapala.com Webboard

This is going to be difficult to explain away

solajijic

Mormon mother-of-seven is falsely held in Mexican prison for smuggling marijuana 'after she fails to pay $5,000 bribe to judge in time', her distraught husband claims

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2331593/Yanira-Maldonado-Family-claims-Mormon-mother-seven-falsely-held-Mexico-drug-smuggling.html#ixzz2UWHeUHoL
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Mormon mother-of-seven is falsely held in Mexican prison for smuggling marijuana 'after she fails to pay $5,000 bribe to judge in time', her distraught husband claims

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2331593/Yanira-Maldonado-Family-claims-Mormon-mother-seven-falsely-held-Mexico-drug-smuggling.html#ixzz2UWHeUHoL

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

And I am afraid that all this media attention might have the opposite result (of what she wants).

And I am afraid that all this media attention might have the opposite result (of what she wants).

Causing public interest got the soldier released who was arrested for bringing a rifle into Mexico. I don't know what else they can do.

Causing public interest got the soldier released who was arrested for bringing a rifle into Mexico. I don't know what else they can do.

He stayed in jail for quite a long time (6 months or more).

Getting some kind of "arrangement" is easier with less eyes watching. Pride and public opinion will not play as important a role.

Furthermore, never forget, we only hear one side of this story. The lady might be innocent, then again, she might not be. We simply do not know.

Rony

She may have been smuggling drug m just because she does not use them does not mean she does not sell them

More likely she was set up and the marijuana was planted by some of her friends, kids or the cops. Paying a bribe or offering to pay a bribe and saying that you were told it was the way it works in Mexico is not going to work in her favor either,,,one was or another she is in a bit of a pickle..

Some friends of our family went to Thailand on a tour and bought some type of statuette and brought it back with them. After they went through customs they were attacked and the package was taken from them by force.

The police told the that a gang had been smuggling drugs in tourists souvenirs and where stealing the souvenirs or presents after people had gone through customs, That was in France but I am sure that could happen here too.

The post sounds like the result of the USA 24/7 news cycle, in that what may be a story may not be at all. Amongst the things I do not miss about the USA is that 24/7 non-news stories mentality. Oh for the days when "news" was carefully vetted for publication before we all set out to comment. Alas...let's see and Rony may be right - the Mexican culture, as I know of it, does not take well to embarrassment of any type and unlike Anglo mentality seem to tighten the screws rather than loosen them when it happens.

Rony may be right - the Mexican culture, as I know of it, does not take well to embarrassment of any type and unlike Anglo mentality seem to tighten the screws rather than loosen them when it happens.

Yep, when the Mexicans are chastised in the media for denying human rights and justice, they respond with indignity and suggest that this is their country and who are you to tell them how to run it. Remember the French woman in jail for years because she had a drug dealer for a boyfriend. She actually did nothing wrong (except use poor judgement), but was jailed as an example to all to not fool with Mexican justice. The more her country complained to Mexico, the more Calderon said she deserved to be punished for her crimes (even tho there were none), and Mexico kept her jailed. So is the Mexican justice system...(sad).

Yep, when the Mexicans are chastised in the media for denying human rights and justice, they respond with indignity and suggest that this is their country and who are you to tell them how to run it. Remember the French woman in jail for years because she had a drug dealer for a boyfriend. She actually did nothing wrong (except use poor judgement), but was jailed as an example to all to not fool with Mexican justice. The more her country complained to Mexico, the more Calderon said she deserved to be punished for her crimes (even tho there were none), and Mexico kept her jailed. So is the Mexican justice system...(sad).

If I remember correctly, the French woman was guilty but was released because her rights were violated. Many people were upset because the Mexican Supreme Court released her. In the U.S. the trial court would have thrown out the charges before trial because of the trial being tainted. She knew her boyfriend was kidnapping and holding people and she was identified by victims as being a participant. The police had her perform for a camera showing her entering the property, etc, and that was a rights' violation.

In this case either this mother of 7 thought she could get away with smuggling or someone else was smuggling, and was ratted out but she was the unfortunate person sitting on the drugs. To me it appears the cops had a snitch because the husband was arrested and then let go after I assume the cops talked to their snitch.

That case has little to do with this one. These folks put their luggage under the bus and were seen entering carrying nothing. Anyone could have stashed drugs under that seat. The husband could have just as easily sat in that seat. For that matter, they should have arrested everyone on the bus following this kind of nonsensical logic.

This is an example of Mexican "kangaroo" justice that give this country such a bad name IMO. It will never be a part of the first world until it fully reforms criminal justice and gets rid of all the petty (and worse) thieves that populate its police forces.

The post sounds like the result of the USA 24/7 news cycle, in that what may be a story may not be at all. Amongst the things I do not miss about the USA is that 24/7 non-news stories mentality. Oh for the days when "news" was carefully vetted for publication before we all set out to comment. Alas...let's see and Rony may be right - the Mexican culture, as I know of it, does not take well to embarrassment of any type and unlike Anglo mentality seem to tighten the screws rather than loosen them when it happens.

This is EXACTLY the reason why the US has to pursue this. To allow Mexico its continued abuse of human rights helps no civilized country. Brushing this under the rug is simply wrong. Sunlight is the best protector of human rights worldwide. Too bad Mexican's crooked government might be "embarrassed."

If I remember correctly, the French woman was guilty but was released because her rights were violated. Many people were upset because the Mexican Supreme Court released her. In the U.S. the trial court would have thrown out the charges before trial because of the trial being tainted. She knew her boyfriend was kidnapping and holding people and she was identified by victims as being a participant. The police had her perform for a camera showing her entering the property, etc, and that was a rights' violation.

In this case either this mother of 7 thought she could get away with smuggling or someone else was smuggling, and was ratted out but she was the unfortunate person sitting on the drugs. To me it appears the cops had a snitch because the husband was arrested and then let go after I assume the cops talked to their snitch.

Joco, you are correct. There was a national uproar here in Mexico because she was released even though guilty, and a national celebration in France because she was sent back to her country.

This is EXACTLY the reason why the US has to pursue this. To allow Mexico its continued abuse of human rights helps no civilized country. Brushing this under the rug is simply wrong. Sunlight is the best protector of human rights worldwide. Too bad Mexican's crooked government might be "embarrassed."

Hi B,

I do see your point of view, but more and more I believe that change has to come from within, from the Mexican people themselves.

Rony

This is EXACTLY the reason why the US has to pursue this.

There is a senator from Arizona pursuing it,that should help, seeing how well known that state is for respecting the rights of Mexicans.

There is a senator from Arizona pursuing it,that should help, seeing how well known that state is for respecting the rights of Mexicans.

What a "cheap" shot !

Archived