Chapala.com Webboard

Paving Ajijic's Tiangis street

I cannot believe the amount of negativeness I am reading on this post. First of all most of you are guests in this country and they let you come here very easily, you would never get to live in the states on a permanent basis like you do here. 6 pages of comments, unbelievable.You are never going to get a consensus of opinion, there is a committee, they are making the decision. If you do not like the way things are being done, get out there and get on committees and help, not complain. Hector is working to improve things and is open about what is going on and what they are trying to accomplish. most times things just happen and then you find out. lets not be negative, if you do not like what is going on that is fine and do not complain, if you are positive, get behind the effort and help with donations of fund raisers. Enough said!!!!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it interesting that some interpret an open discussion where there are different opinions expressed as "negative." Perhaps it is only negative because some of the opinions don't agree with your point of view? This has been a very friendly and interesting discussion, thus far, at least until your post, bobkat.

The committee has come to the community and this board and asked it to pay for this project. In doing so, it opened up the topic to discussion. This is called "free speech" and you should get used to it.

I find it interesting that some interpret an open discussion where there are different opinions expressed as "negative." Perhaps it is only negative because some of the opinions don't agree with your point of view? This has been a very friendly and interesting discussion, thus far, at least until your post, bobkat.

The committee has come to the community and this board and asked it to pay for this project. In doing so, it opened up the topic to discussion. This is called "free speech" and you should get used to it.

+1

This is a great thread, a great discussion! Maybe what we are seeing here, through no deliberate fault, is the black vs. white arguments we hear in the USA, absolutist "fer me or agin me" which has hogtied USA politics. This is a discussion in the shade of gray - and it is great! The gray is the area on the Venn diagram where compromises live and compromises are made of divergent thoughts put into action for the greater good.

This discussion needs to go on, a discussion on merits.

Oh for heaven's sake! We're talking about a simple project to make the footing safe for people going to the tianguis. It is not a big deal. It is not the only way to do the job, but it is simple and effective and helpful. True, it is not Hector's only project, he is working on several fronts at once, and he is succeeding on several fronts at once. Me, I can't do more than one project at a time, but he can and does. His term is 2 years and he is moving fast. How about a few more contributors?

I have fallen down twice at the tianguis, and after the second time, did not go there again. And, for those who think that Mexicans are immune to falls on the cobblestones, I have seen elderly Mexicanas fall also. Right now, I cannot contribute, but it would be high on my list asap. Tianguis at the malecon could be OK, but I worry that the grass would be ruined, and where should visitors park, if not in front of Yves? Watering down that area could be the answer. Yes, the residents would have plenty to say about the noise, etc.

Is the divided road to La Floresta out of the question?? Shade, for sure, and the road is level, and cobblestones not as ruined as Revolucion. I suppose the residents there would complain as well, but the sides of the street are wide enough that resident traffic could still use the road with caution.

As far as the plaza, I was immediately disheartened by the amount of dirt/ stains/ chewing gum/ and sticky crud all over the lovely designs on the ground.There needs to be a pressure hose and/or steam cleaner used frequently to keep it beautiful. Plus, someone else said, with the amount of people when there are events, the ground isn't even visible. So it is only appreciable when it is not crowded.

I too like the diversity of ideas on this thread. Regarding the pros and cons of different alternative tianguis sites, I suspect it will be for only one, perhaps two, Wednesdays. There probably won't be much wear-and-tear on grass (if it's the malecon) or extended hassles on other streets given just one or two times. For the sake of continuity, the less dislocation for that one or two times will be best-- like using Juan Alvarez or the boulevard in La Floresta or the area around the horse ring/soccer field.

And the tianguis may not need to temporarily relocate. It is likely that the albañiles doing the pavers will be doing the work in segments along Constitucion, and they can schedule their work around Wednesdays so that the tianguis can be held in its usual location.

This is sad. The Bublins asked for help funding a project for the community and people begin pledging until one person began posting that maybe the location of the market/project should be moved. And boom, everyone was distracted and the number of pledges per unit of time went way down and basically have stopped.

It's really too bad. Just my opinion.

There really is no viable alternative to moving the location of the tianguis. It is there for a good reason...many good reasons, as a matter of fact.

For starters, the Ajijic tianguis should be in Ajijic, not in La Floresta or in San Antonio Tlayacapan. At least Revolucion is a street on the border of Ajijic.

There is little traffic along Revolucion. The west side of the street is a walled-off private property with no entrances along Revolucion. On the east side of the street there are two football fields and a charro stadium. These locations can easily schedule events around the tianguis. No one lives there and few drive there so there is little disruption to private lives and traffic flow by having the tianguis at that location.

Revolucion is barely wide enough to accomodate two rows of vendor stands and a walkway in between The vendors set their tables in the street and utilize the sidewalks in order to have a place to sit and a place to store their supplies. The lateral road alongside the carretera just isn't wide enough to accomodate the tianguis.

Moving the tianguis to the malecon is problematic as well. Not only will the grassy areas be destroyed but there really is no place to park. Keep in mind that the beach in front of Yves' is only temporarily dry. I have seen the lake lapping at the sidewalk right in front of Yves'. At times, they have been forced to close the ground floor due to flooding. I am assuming that the vendors would quickly fill the small public parking lot west of the pier before any shoppers arrive.

This is sad. The Bublins asked for help funding a project for the community and people begin pledging until one person began posting that maybe the location of the market/project should be moved. And boom, everyone was distracted and the number of pledges per unit of time went way down and basically have stopped.

It's really too bad. Just my opinion.

+1 -

that's what has happened. it happens too often here - simple things get blown out of proportion.

Thank to Harry, he's doing a great job.

Yeah, I know this isn't going to get more pavers, but why shouldn't the vendors clean up after themselves??

Too much goes on at the malecon. The vendors wouldn't be able to setup and they leave a god offal mess which has to be cleaned up every wednesday p.m.

The charro ring (no bull ring here) the surface is very deep and dirty. It would be worse.

This was also from another Chris B post.

BTW the Delegado cleans up after the tiangis each week.

We live near the current Tianguis location. The clean-up crew after the Tianguis does a SPECTACULAR and IMMEDIATE job as soon as the vendors have left. It's amazing, actually. I've always assumed that the cleanup crew were paid from a fund collected by the fees the vendors themselves pay to be there.

Other than that, I agree with Alex. It's in the location it's in for a lot of good reasons. (Although it would sort of tickle me to see those blue lonas lined up in the parking lot of the Centro Laguna Mall for a while. But that's a ridiculous idea and just something I personally find funny as a notion.) Any suggestion of using the grassy area near the malecon is a complete non-starter since it's an absolute bog during the rainy season. The parking lot/street area over in that area I'm not so sure about, but I don't care because I like it where it is.

Support the proposed project if you want it made more pedestrian-friendly and navigable in its current location, or don't. How hard is this?

We are supporting many other causes and can't promise the 1600 pesos right now, but will work on getting some funds to the committee. Hope this can be done soon. We no longer go to Ajijic for the market due to the bad walking conditions. Too dangerous for us. We really enjoy the surface and set-up in Joco. We'd come to Ajijic's at least once a month IF we could walk safely. So glad that the committee is working on this.

Carol

I notice that the original OP's post started this thread as a request for funds for a particular project not as a request for discussion on which site is best for the Wednesday tianguis or for discussion on the best method to use to complete projects. It rather seems to me that to attempt to change the focus of the original intent of the thread might not serve the need of the community best? Perhaps those who wish to discuss the best site for the Wednesday tianguis and other subjects would best serve the need by opening another thread? Just an observation and certainly not meant to cast the slightest aspersion on the intent and good will of all who have posted so far.

No one is talking about paving over the street. They say it will look like Colón, with flat paving stones in a 2 meter strip down the middle and cobblestones along the sides.

And we don't take care of Colon very well. Many of the flagstones are gone or loose.

I just hope for once we can start something and finish it. I know pavers are different

from the Flagstones on Colon but we need to put maintenance in place from the start

to keep it level.

I think this is a very good thread and has many good ideas and comments. I didn't take it

as negative but brainstorming.

When someone starts a thread asking for almost 74,000 pesos to be contributed to a project, it's certainly fair to ask why it's needed before contributing and to make suggestions that could possibly resolve the problem without such a big outlay of money. And to question whether the 74,000 pesos could be better spent on projects already begun but not finished.

We live near the current Tianguis location. The clean-up crew after the Tianguis does a SPECTACULAR and IMMEDIATE job as soon as the vendors have left. It's amazing, actually. I've always assumed that the cleanup crew were paid from a fund collected by the fees the vendors themselves pay to be there.

Other than that, I agree with Alex. It's in the location it's in for a lot of good reasons. (Although it would sort of tickle me to see those blue lonas lined up in the parking lot of the Centro Laguna Mall for a while. But that's a ridiculous idea and just something I personally find funny as a notion.) Any suggestion of using the grassy area near the malecon is a complete non-starter since it's an absolute bog during the rainy season. The parking lot/street area over in that area I'm not so sure about, but I don't care because I like it where it is.

Support the proposed project if you want it made more pedestrian-friendly and navigable in its current location, or don't. How hard is this?

Travis, go back and read the posts about using the Malecon. What has really been suggested is using the wide three block long street and parking lots IN FRONT OF the Malecon. Definitely agree that the grassy area is not the appropriate place for this activity.

The slope of Revolucion causes constant wash out of the cobblestones during the rainy season. Noting the performance of this paving on a similarly sloped street, Colon, should give one pause as to the efficacy of this proposal from an engineering and maintenance point of view, particularly given the quality of public maintenance here.

Finally, this is a public discussion board and someone coming here to solicit should expect public discussion of that request. The posters have been for the most part with the exception noted above, respectful of the varying opinions posted and there have been some creative suggestions and ideas. Anyone who comes here with a similar solicitation should expect discussion and as long as it remains civil and focused on the proposal rather than the posters.

When someone starts a thread asking for almost 74,000 pesos to be contributed to a project, it's certainly fair to ask why it's needed before contributing and to make suggestions that could possibly resolve the problem without such a big outlay of money. And to question whether the 74,000 pesos could be better spent on projects already begun but not finished.

Remember most of this money is not Government money. It is from donations. People who donate expect it to go for the cause they were

told. I agree we could do a better job of finishing stuff but donations are dedicated money.

The fee paid by vendors goes to Chapala and is never seen. What a surprise. I is impossible to tie up the street on the malecon for a day. When the beer trucks and the coke trucks got to the bottom of Colon, where would they go?

There is no question in my mind that the residents would slap you with an injunction the moment the decision was made. You would kill Salvador's and plaza Bouganvillias business

Discussion is fine and we have seen good suggestions, but, no new solutions. After 124 posts we need donors to commit!

Well, if you come up short since you only have 25 percent of the donors you need for this project, consider asking them to divert the money to finish the Plaza. We've been surviving Revolucion during the Tianquis, rain or shine, for a long time and probably could continue to do so. However, our Plaza, though it wasn't so fancy before, was at least complete, something it is not now.

Archived