Chapala.com Webboard

Paving Ajijic's Tiangis street

On fundraising: Definitely a shortage of donors so far. Meanwhile, Efren Gonzalez has been holding events and auctions to raise the 162,000 (approximately) pesos to cast a statue in bronze to be placed in the lobby of the Cultural Center. Newest thing is a Fiesta coming up at 300pesos per head for a plate of some Mexican food and a drink. I hear the fundraising is going well and he expects to reach his goal. Maybe he's got the right idea, rather than just asking people to donate money.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we wish Efren the best and look forward to working with him on his project as Director of the Casa de Cultura. We have met with him and mutually know about each others projects for the benefit of Ajijic's populace

There is often talk about the government spending money in Chapala and ignoring Ajijic's needs. The fact is there is little if any money right now. However, if there was money to be spent on various projects withing the municipality of Chapala, why would it be earmarked to an area that seems to be self-sufficient with the generous donations of the people? When the projects are done with donations, then that frees up whatever government money there is for other projects in the municipality. I commend what the generous people in Ajijic are trying to do, but you could be hurting yourself in the long run for future projects.

I can help fund 10 meters. I believe every donor will prevent at least one fall. Count me in...very admirable project.

Harry will be at Blacck Coffe at 11 a.m. today to meet donors and issue receipts. Please join him for a cup and ask any questions you may still have!

Putting the Tianguis on the Malecon would be a big shot in the arm for the Central Business District and would create more festive water oriented event with room to expand. Normally you can't fight tradition in Mexico BUT if the Ajijic Tainguis has a history of being moved anyway, then why not. The trees in the current location are nice shade, there is an intimacy. But I think the size of the Tianguis is being limited by the current location. The market on mondays in Chapala seems 3 times longer. The street ends that lead to the lake could be designated as truck load zones Weds. A one day a week Plaza to Malecon to Carretera bus would pay for itself I wouid think. Weds at the LCS could become the go-to day of the week. I think the big spin off would be all the small shops and cafes within a few blocks of the Malecon; quite likely Weds could become a true shopping and dining day with maximum exposure for all concerned.

This forum thread has become a town meeting aimed at Urban Planning. I see that as a good thing.

The only thing about that is that we actually have little say in how things work; especially we in the Gringo Ghetto, as some put it. Things have been working the way they work in Mexico for a very long time, including the money issues and the disappearance of same. We can talk about it, but ...."we can't stop the rain". Hector has been trying his best, but there are so many things that need funding that most people are tapped out about now, and it's the low season as well.

Bless the garden club and it's efforts.

thanks to all the donors who paid this morning. The money is safely in the bank well documented exactly where it came from and for what. Now it awaits its' compadres!

If the vendors were to set up along the "road" along the now-lovely park, where would all the customers park??? On the side streets? there is hardly room now to park to go to Tango or Telares, and 5 de mayo is a very, very narrow street. We all can not park on Morelos, and have a traffic jam near Abbeyfield.

The Delegado and committee have in fact come upon a project that moves an influential MEXICAN. Today we received their donation and a promise of an introduction to a state minister who may help us with funding!

Archived