Chapala.com Webboard

Paving Ajijic's Tiangis street

What's wrong with the Mexican and Expat community working together? Maybe some of the vendors would like to participate and donate. It means more business for them.

I agree, and would think a collection taken at the end of day on Wednesday would be appropriate. They won't likely be donating 1600 pesos each, rather what they can relatively afford, maybe 5, 10, or 20. It's not about money.

"If you come to help, you're wasting your time.

But if you come because your liberation is bound with mine, let us work together."

Lila Watson

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hector is planning to discuss the funding of the project with the vendors. They had already complained to him about customers getting injured. It is bad for business.

News flash - Mexicans get old too and also have been injured there!

No one is talking about paving over the street. They say it will look like Colón, with flat paving stones in a 2 meter strip down the middle and cobblestones along the sides.

Ok I get the point, but other than looking pretty I dont see much of an advantage, especially when resources could be used in other areas fixing existing imfrastructure, after all the tianguis is only one day a week.

tomgates Posted Today, 01:51 PM "It works fine as it is."

If it works so 'fine' where it is, why do they need pavers? Even after pavers are installed it remains hilly and probably slick when wet.

The malecon park is under utilized weekdays.

Public restrooms at park.

Park already has sidewalks. Also abuts street and parking area.

Better parking in area (incl. the area in front of Old Posada/Yves).

Large and level area.

Nearer to more restaurants who would appreciate the crowd, assuming some would stop for breakfast or comida.

No capital investment/donations required (important in these tough times).

Doesn't seem to be 'traditional' at current location (per La Chula's statement re: used to be elsewhere).

Agree this would make a much better place.

Ok I get the point, but other than looking pretty I dont see much of an advantage, especially when resources could be used in other areas fixing existing imfrastructure, after all the tianguis is only one day a week.

Just look at Colon, they can't keep the flag stones in place, they keep coming loose. Why would you want to do another street with them?

Why would you want to do another street with them?

Just a guess, but possibly so people who have infirmities can attend and enjoy it, and so elder people without infirmities could attend and get around without the likelihood of falling down or twisting an ankle.

But, that's just a guess. Perhaps they just want to make it pretty.

This is interesting.

Absolutely NOT at the Malecon. It would tear up the grass. There won't be parking if the vendors park there. The place is useless without lush grass.

Businesses located nearby are destination businesses selling much the same stuff as the tianguis vendors.

I would prefer to see the paving wider than 2 meters. And for goodness sake make sure it goes down the middle of the street. Remember Colon and that the city workers were told to make it so a car tires would roll over them, so they did, but forgot to account for the parking.

This is interesting.

Absolutely NOT at the Malecon. It would tear up the grass. There won't be parking if the vendors park there. The place is useless without lush grass.

Businesses located nearby are destination businesses selling much the same stuff as the tianguis vendors.

I would prefer to see the paving wider than 2 meters. And for goodness sake make sure it goes down the middle of the street. Remember Colon and that the city workers were told to make it so a car tires would roll over them, so they did, but forgot to account for the parking.

Not exactly. They would set up in the street as they do now except on the Malecon the street in front is a lot wider and longer too and with access from three north-south streets. There's all that parking in front of Yves and on all the streets leading down. More people could walk there because the location in more central.

I also think they should look at the south side service road from GDL Pharmacy to El Torito. Flat, accessible, more parking, longer.

Revolucion suffers from too steep, too crowned, poor access, too small for all the vendors so they overflow onto Guadalupe Victoria. I see no point is spending money to make it a little more walkable when that is all that might be gained and the major flaws would remain.

I think someone suggested that the vendors could set up on the grassy area next to the sidewalks going through the park. Using the parking area itself seems more feasible and accessible.

I don't see that the nearby businesses are selling the same thing that the Tiangus is selling. Most of them are restaurants, galleries or higher end clothing/jewelry stores.

The parking area in front of Yves' could be watered down before the crowds arrive.

Perhaps these various ideas should be presented to the Dellegado about now?

The malecon idea has merit, but my question comes from the homeowners on the street.

The current tiangus is on a, primarily, non-residential street and does not interfere with any home owners. The location talked about here already has it's problems during the season with parking. Did you know that the homeowners in that area now are allowed to have No Parking permits in front of their property so that they are not denied access and can buy legal signs for that purpose?

We must consider this, as a malecon move would, for one day a week, cause disgruntlement from these people, whereas the current location has no interference with homes. While the current location is not ideal, would we incur too much push back from malecon residents if, even for one day a week, their street was turned into a noisy market? I think yes.

The unfortunate folks who live there now have the following somewhat disruptive events going on both day and night: Cars in the evening with boom boxes; impromptu parties; concerts at the bandstand; a skateboard park; dancing gym groups and on weekends: endless picnickers.

Tiangus? less than a full day.

But then, there's no way I'd choose to live in that location. I prefer different problems, such as those on my street: no parking at all, hardly ever! :wacko:

The malecon idea has merit, but my question comes from the homeowners on the street.

The current tiangus is on a, primarily, non-residential street and does not interfere with any home owners. The location talked about here already has it's problems during the season with parking. Did you know that the homeowners in that area now are allowed to have No Parking permits in front of their property so that they are not denied access and can buy legal signs for that purpose?

We must consider this, as a malecon move would, for one day a week, cause disgruntlement from these people, whereas the current location has no interference with homes. While the current location is not ideal, would we incur too much push back from malecon residents if, even for one day a week, their street was turned into a noisy market? I think yes.

This area already is subject to high traffic/noise etc at the week end with visitors from GUAD...location is what it is

And which of you are going to pay for all the federal permits to operate a business on federal land at the malecon? And maybe we can put up a block of cells / stalls. I'm sure Chapala has the plans?

Once again, we are talking about interlocking paving blocks which will give a smooth yet non skid surface. It is planned as two meters down the center of the street to give the best surface possible for all young, old, mexican, foreign, handicapped, straight, gay, etc. if someone can fund three meters we will gladly add a meter and make it three meters wide.

We have shade, a quiet street without heavy traffic, and few houses. We want to make it safe for all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need more donors to commit!!!

By now, it should be plain that unlike the other initiatives, all of which remain incomplete, there is not general agreement that this project or the current location are the only solution and it is suggested that perhaps a little thinking out of the box would be in order before spending a bunch of money on this while the Plaza remains incomplete, there are still plenty of potholes and sidewalks needing repair, junk cars on the street, broken trash cans needing repair, etc.

There is an opportunity for the expat community to lead by example and show the benefits to the greater community when things are approached in an organized and disciplined way such that priorities are set and initiatives are taken to completion before new ones are started. I realize that the idea of finishing things fully before moving on is somewhat alien to the culture of this country and we should not be lecturing people about that but instead simply taking the lead and showing the benefits of prioritization and completion through our actions rather than more words.

Let me give you an example of how this can work. For years, Ajijic and Lakeside had a growing graffiti problem. Periodically, money, supplies and volunteers would be found, some painting out would be done, and then everyone went home and the tagging came back worse than ever. Starting a few years ago, a different group of volunteers committed to a sustained and methodical approach where areas were cleared in an organized, outwardly spreading approach, and then kept clear, week after week, month after month, year after year, to this very day.

Seeing the effort at last succeeding, the local realtors began to support it and continued to support it year after year. As a result, the problem has dwindled to a shadow of its former self, the volunteers work very few hours, and the continuing resources provided by the realtors covered more and more territory until the area has been cleaned and kept clean pretty much from the Jocotepec line to and through Chapala.

I suggest that this is the model we need to apply to these other local concerns. Focused, carried to completion and sustained.

Kudos to you Dan and John and all the others responsible for this worth while endeavor. More than money you got dirty and got the job done.

Again, thanks.

You're welcome Bob, but please note I'm not hijacking this thread to talk about graffiti. What I wanted to do above is use this as an example of how to really get these things done to completion that we'd all like to see. I believe the very successful graffiti effort provides a directly useful and valid model for accomplishing Hector's excellent beginnings.

Archived