Chapala.com Webboard

Paving Ajijic's Tiangis street

I hope you all don't mind if I highjack this topic again and point it in another direction, but I would like to pledge $1,600 pesos.

Can't we just all agree to get along and help with this project, Please.

I will be back from the cool North in about 4 weeks and will donate then.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I walk the malecon almost everyday. It is virtually deserted from 9 till 3 on any given Wednesday (or other weekday for that matter). Well I guess whoever cleans up the Tianguis site now (the vendors themselves? the city?) would be able to clean up afterward, wherever they set up.

At the park at the malecon the vendors could set up on the grass and customers walk on the sidewalks. There's also the bandstand area, the basketball court, etc. And no fundraising for pavers needed. Think outside the box is sometimes a good thing.

I agree. Move to the Malecon.

As soon as the paving project started a couple of months ago, I asked Hector and Harry about the tianguis. it is treacherous now and will be worse when the rainy season comes. When I first came here, the tianguis was held on Galeana, then for a short time on the carretera. The street where it is now, Revolucion, has many missing stones, potholes and is hard to traverse while looking at the produce, and carrying your packages, while keeping track of your purse.

The Plaza isn't all finished but it does not present a danger to those who go there. IMHO, it is more important to make Revolucion more user friendly than putting the finishing touches on the Plaza. I am sure that the mostly women who buy at the tianguis every week would agree.

tomgates Posted Today, 01:51 PM "It works fine as it is."

If it works so 'fine' where it is, why do they need pavers? Even after pavers are installed it remains hilly and probably slick when wet.

The malecon park is under utilized weekdays.

Public restrooms at park.

Park already has sidewalks. Also abuts street and parking area.

Better parking in area (incl. the area in front of Old Posada/Yves).

Large and level area.

Nearer to more restaurants who would appreciate the crowd, assuming some would stop for breakfast or comida.

No capital investment/donations required (important in these tough times).

Doesn't seem to be 'traditional' at current location (per La Chula's statement re: used to be elsewhere).

Yes, we pay taxes here. My house in the village of Ajijic costs me maybe a little over $100US a year in predial. Many expats want the senior citizen discounts on their home and water bills. Our taxes are not channeled to our little villages, they go to Chapala where they often go to politicians' pockets one way or another. Sometimes they actually do go to community projects. Chapala is in debt because of greed and corruption of previous administrations.

Many of us who have retired here can chip in to make OUR lives more comfortable, as well as for the wonderful Mexicans who are so kind to us.

What they "should" or "should not" do is not for us to say.

It works fine as it is. Quit trying to change it and put your money up.

It's not going to change at this stage of the game. The committee has met, decided and is now proceeding from there. If everyone has a say about what may or not work better, I guarantee you a consensus would be very difficult. As for "put you money up", that's your choice.

Our taxes, with or without the senior discount, are nada compared to many places in the states. Try CA, for instance. Big ouch! But that's not the topic.

The more I think about the advantages of the Malecon, the more I like the idea........and the amount of money that would need to be raised for the pavers, plus the hardship on the merchants while the project is actually going on........makes me like it even better.

I imagine the decision will and should lie with whoever is running the show for the merchants along with the merchants themselves, si? They are the ones who would be most affected by either a change or a construction project.

The only problem I could see with using the Malecon, and by that I assume we mean the wide roadway that runs along side it and the parking areas, is that it is less accessible for the merchants coming in to set up. Otherwise, it obviously offers far more space, is flat, is better surfaced, has bathrooms, is more central to the village.

I really appreciate what Hector and company have done, with the caveat expressed earlier that I'd like to see a more disciplined effort that focuses on finishing one thing before starting another

I don't think this idea is up to the standards of the rest, however. The street will remain too narrow, too steep, too short. Time to move this market to a bigger, safer place, not stick an expensive band aid on a bad location. The Tianquis have been moved before, there's no reason they can't be moved again.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

How about the parking lot at Centro Lago?

Lots of space for vendors ... even new vendors. Lots of parking for people. Flat level ground for those who have trouble with sloped areas such as Revolution. No need for donations and then use donations for the Plaza.

Just wondering if this could be a solution. With my back problems walking up a sloped street is not possible. It would also give it more visibility and could result in more people visiting the market.

Th

How about the parking lot at Centro Lago?

Lots of space for vendors ... even new vendors. Lots of parking for people. Flat level ground for those who have trouble with sloped areas such as Revolution. No need for donations and then use donations for the Plaza.

Just wondering if this could be a solution. With my back problems walking up a sloped street is not possible. It would also give it more visibility and could result in more people visiting the market.

That's a private enterprise and would probably cost too much. Ajijic would have more control over the malecon

The malecon isn't wide enough to accomodate vendors and customers. It is in total sun 100% of the time. There is a lot of traffic going through there already. Congestion would be a serious problem. Setting up in early morning hours would anger residents.

BTW the Delegado cleans up after the tiangis each week.

There is an Delegado Advisory Committee account with O&A associates across from Walmart. The number is 5033030 - have them make a copy of the deposit with your contact info and "Tiangis" to restrict its' use to that project.You will receive a receipt and original copy of our paid bill

BTW if the project doesn't fly all donations will be refunded in full! But, by the public response, this is a project the public supports.

Working together is a great idea. However, if the Tianguis street really was an issue with the Mexican community, would they have not improved it in the past? In so many things that are being done in the name of the "community", is it truly for the entire "community" or is it that some expats want to change things to make them more convenient and better for themselves and more like the place they left behind when they moved here?

Much like most things in life, money is the key factor.

The Mexican Community, by itself, would never pay to redo the street with pavers, they'd never even consider it.

However, if Revolucion has a set of pavers going down the center of it more people will attend the tianguis.

If more people attend the tianguis then there is a good chance that some, or many of the vendors will sell more product and make more money.

If at the end of the day they walk home with a more pesos in their pocket they will be happy, and they will be glad people had this done.

And I doubt if many will equate their experience walking on pavers at the tianguis to their shopping experiences NOB.

It is obvious to me that this project would benefit the entire community.

ChrisB Posted Today, 03:34 PM: The malecon isn't wide enough to accomodate vendors and customers. It is in total sun 100% of the time.

Not ON the malecon. IN the park, NEXT to the malecon.

Yes, absolutely, ask the vendors where they want to set up! And the local business owners (who would love to get some spillover customers for shopping and also eating).

I have gone to the Tianguis late in the day to pick up pre-ordered items. Frankly, it's very difficult for the vendors to break down their stands on the current narrow street. They basically take turns with their trucks or handcarts getting to their stands, up and down the hill from Constitucion mostly, where most of their trucks/trailers are parked.

At the Malecon, the slot parking adjacent to the park could be the staging area for the vendor's trucks. It would be far easier and quicker for them to set up and breakdown their stands.. Level and adjacent to their new vending area.

They could set up on either side of the sidewalks in the malecon's park, while customers could meander on the flat sidewalks. Frankly, it would be a more beautiful and relaxing shopping experience for both the vendors and customers. The basketball court and the bandstand area could also be utilized.

Why raise money to redo a street when there may be an available and better site that pleases everyone with no additional infrastructure costs. The 73,600 pesos could be better used on something else.

It's probably too late this week, but perhaps next Tianguis all the vendors could be polled by Hector about their wants and needs.

Ok and what about the other implications water runoff eventual potholes etc, this is one of the reasons cobblestone is here and on most of the streets it has held up well for ober 30 years . I guess I have been here to long, Chapala was once cobblestone, then they got the bright idea to pave it, made it much worse now its adoquin and its no better.

No one is talking about paving over the street. They say it will look like Colón, with flat paving stones in a 2 meter strip down the middle and cobblestones along the sides.

Archived