Chapala.com Webboard

Paving Ajijic's Tiangis street

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

these are two different projects. Donors to finish the plaza have been sought for months with no response from the public. Apparently, no one cares.

I have heard of no fund raising. I have heard nothing regarding the plaza. It would be very nice if we could finish one project

before we start another. Also I believe the plaza has debt associated with it with suppliers and labor already provided. We need

to pay our bills before we go off to paving streets in my opinion.

Can we just finish something all the way please?

Exactly. Starting another project distracts everyone from the previous initiatives. BTW, the Plaza isn't the only one unfinished, there are still a lot of unfinished street and sidewalk repairs as well. I reported some time ago a number of problems at the intersection of Constitucion and Juan Alvarez, they remain unfixed. Crumbling sidewalks east of LCS on 16 de Septiembre present a real hazard to those who walk to LCS and the Plaza via this route.

This is an opportunity to demonstrate good public management by setting priorities and completing projects fully before moving on. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has noticed that this is a chronic issue in this country. The expats in Ajijic who are working on these issues have a real opportunity to show the benefits of fully completing things before moving on.

I just wish that the project and fund raising for finishing the plaza could have been finished before this was undertaken. We use the Tianquis street once per week but the plaza is the center of our community and it continues to sit there, glaringly unfinished.May I be so presumptuous as to suggest that things be undertaken one at a time and finished before another is started?

I,m curious, is this what the moderators call hijacking a thread?

You're new here so you may not be aware that this is just the latest solicitation for donantions to do civic projects. What some of us who have been around a while are suggesting is that other projects for which money has been solicited by the same parties very recently should be finished first before new initiatives are begun.

Personally, I think this is a valid question/concern to raise. If I'm over-ruled on this, so be it.

If the mods who are not participating in this thread decide it has gone too far afield, they will be able to figure that out all on their own without your help.

Actually hijacking is taking a thread and going in a complete different direction.

What was done is actually called a drift and is a normal part of forum life. My

comment on your comment is a drift also.

I don't think it is right for foreigners to initiate infrastructure change. I would be happy to contribute to a fundraising drive that came out of the Mexican community.

I agree.

Chris, We will do section. I can commit one other person to a section. Then I will ask at the next couple of parties we are at for donations and hopefully can put together a 3rd section.

I personally do not necessarily agree with the paving however since its to be attempted I 'd like to help make sure it gets done completely.

As for the plaza I think of the 3 major remodels in the past 8 years this one couldn't be any worse. It is horrendous and ugly. Why have sun murals underneath your feet for a place that is chopped up and usually crowded with pedestrians. What is with the ocean scenes carved on the bandstand...we are inland and there are no octopus and porpoises in the lake. And the sex inspired carvings have gotten old and just seem pathetic. They need to move on. Unfortunately this project was the previous fellows vision and every fellow has a new vision. I would actually contribute to doing something different with the bandstand. But as for the walkways just cement what isn't finished.

The plaza has languished without supporters for some time. It is central to the community and an embarrassment. It will receive attention if and when donors step up. The Delegado and his committee will go anywhere, speak/supply numbers to anyone, any time! if a donor says that they want their money to go to the plaza, that is where it will go with documentation supplied the supporter. Moneys designated for the Tiangis will also be documented

The Tiangis street has it's own stakeholders. People are being hurt every week. We need 46 donors and have 8 as of this post. If we don't get them this project is doomed also. Chapala will supply the labor and it will take two to three weeks.

As to the sidewalks - yes they are the owners responsibility. But, the Delegado is using compassion and common sense. If the person is poor or the damage has extenuating circumstances he is acting which is within his power - if he has materials donated. An accessibility map of Colon is in progress and will be expanded as possibility.

Once the rainy season starts, hopefully we will get our workers back from Arroyo duty to continue addressing village needs.

BTW we have been advised that the power/phone lines for two blocks around the plaza will be put underground. Hopefully, this initiative will also be expanded. It comes out of Chapala and may be a governmental program.

I am prepared to be blistered for this, but......

Why not move the market to the bullring? Or along the malecon?

I think your suggestion of moving it makes a lot of sense.

Even without the hazards, it is such a narrow walkway that if a few people are standing in front of a booth, it's difficult to get past. The real consideration is parking, both for the vendors and the public.

these are two different projects. Donors to finish the plaza have been sought for months with no response from the public. Apparently, no one cares.

People are injured every week at the tiangis and or don't go for fear of being injured . If there is a rapid response of donors the work will be completed rapidly. If not this idea too will languish

Here is what the committee is asking donations for on the plaza. http://www.lakechapalagardenclub.org/2013maygarden.html

The Lake Chapala Garden Club just approved a large donation.

Money to redo roof and paint murels (artists doing ceiling Efran Gonzalez, Victor Romero, Bruno Marisid, Javier Zaragosa.); cantera fr railings and columns; sealer; raise garden beds. Committee approved a donation for $23,500 pesos towards these projects

Too much goes on at the malecon. The vendors wouldn't be able to setup and they leave a god offal mess which has to be cleaned up every wednesday p.m.

The charro ring (no bull ring here) the surface is very deep and dirty. It would be worse.

"I think the pavers look nice, still keep that old town look."

Yes, we can look at them, and they look nice in postcards, but not so nice to actually walk on.

Did you miss the point of this post that they are replacing the cobblestones with PAVERS? Pavers are much nicer to walk on than cobblestones. My point was that the pavers look nice and keep that old town look as compared to just paving the street with blacktop.

I don't think it is right for foreigners to initiate infrastructure change. I would be happy to contribute to a fundraising drive that came out of the Mexican community.

If we own homes here and pay property taxes here are we still "foreigners"? In a real sense this is our home too!

Chris, as I have suggested before, can you set up a paypal account or an account at LLoyds to make it easier to contribute?

Too much goes on at the malecon. The vendors wouldn't be able to setup and they leave a god offal mess which has to be cleaned up every wednesday p.m.

The charro ring (no bull ring here) the surface is very deep and dirty. It would be worse.

I walk the malecon almost everyday. It is virtually deserted from 9 till 3 on any given Wednesday (or other weekday for that matter). Well I guess whoever cleans up the Tianguis site now (the vendors themselves? the city?) would be able to clean up afterward, wherever they set up.

At the park at the malecon the vendors could set up on the grass and customers walk on the sidewalks. There's also the bandstand area, the basketball court, etc. And no fundraising for pavers needed. Think outside the box is sometimes a good thing.

If we own homes here and pay property taxes here are we still "foreigners"? In a real sense this is our home too!

Chris, as I have suggested before, can you set up a paypal account or an account at LLoyds to make it easier to contribute?

Yes, we are foreigners until we have Mexican citizenship.

Archived