Chapala.com Webboard

Food protest event

as far as I know, it may be because a Greenpeace protest against transgenic corn....

2ufeo10.jpg

This was a shout-out, world-wide awareness day to educate people about the dangers of genetically modified food. Mexican corn, the oldest corn in the world, has been adulterated. Like it or not, The corn tortillas we eat are GMOed. Monsanto is the giant who has created this monster. Some European countries have said no to GMO food but the US has it on fast forward. Our local protest was able to hand out flyers with information to the folks in Ajijic.

for more info - https://www.facebook.com/MarchAgainstMonstanto?fref=ts

and yes - world wide - 292460_604024789616045_1494728339_n.jpg

There is a really interesting documentary out - Monsanto in India - the documentary is called dirty white gold and discusses the increase of suicides of farmers - because of GMO seeds - the need to purchase, the need to fertilize, the need to water - and the need to pay for the seeds. Some mortgage their land to pay for the seeds - and if they have a bad year, they lose their land - and some choose suicide as a way out. I recommend the documentary - as it seems that it could also play out this way for Mexico. http://www.sponsume.com/project/cotton-film-dirty-white-gold

Monsanto is paying the US Congress to get reelected and gaining huge protection for profits

Heard last week on PBS Congress just pasted Law- Mandating Protection for Monsanto

Company can never be held Liable for anything-or sued for damages even if they are proven guilty of causing harm from their genetic altered products-

Think a rebound law made famous when PG&E Pacific Gas & electric CO in California poisoned the entire water table of most of the Mojave Desert and surrounding towns - made famous in the movie with Julia Roberts

Yesterday was the MARCH AGAINST MONSANTO, a world-wide protest against Monsanto and genetically modified foods. Over 2 million people from around the world took to the streets to protest. Around 120 people showed up for the protest and speeches in Ajijic.

You can view some of the photos Kai & I took of the event (our Facebook album) here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.534266396631580.1073741832.127045310687026&type=1

You can see a local media coverage of the protest at "Chapala en Vivo" here: http://www.chapalaenvivo.com/2013/05/26/ajijic-presente-en-la-jornada-mundial-contra-los-transgenicos/

To see photos and videos of people around the world who participated check out the March against Monsanto Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MarchAgainstMonstanto

If you want to educate yourself on the harms of genetically modified foods & what you can do check out this site: http://www.responsibletechnology.org/

Monsanto is paying the US Congress to get reelected and gaining huge protection for profits

Heard last week on PBS Congress just pasted Law- Mandating Protection for Monsanto

Company can never be held Liable for anything-or sued for damages even if they are proven guilty of causing harm from their genetic altered products-

A terrible law stuck on the end of something completely different, unbelievably self-serving, stupid and heinous. Imagine the outrage if any other country did this.

However, it is stipulated as a two-year deal at the moment.

A terrible law stuck on the end of something completely different, unbelievably self-serving, stupid and heinous. Imagine the outrage if any other country did this.

However, it is stipulated as a two-year deal at the moment.

But there is hope - companies are starting to look for non-gmo ingredients - and there will be certification just like organic.........

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/27/business/food-companies-seeking-ingredients-that-arent-gene-altered.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Britain's giant food companies are struggling trying to keep their own 10-year ban in place, because it's getting harder to get seed, and they are paying up to 20% more. http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/green-living/big-stores-counting-the-cost-of-ban-on-gm-food-1779870.html

For some reason I just wasn't aware that Mexican tortillas are GMO. I have been disturbed by this info. since I read it.

So square with me, the bags of MASACA are GMO corn. Is ALL Mexican corn GMO?

Do any of you use an alternative? When in the states, I do have a source for organic tortillas. I just didn't think about it here.

GMO doesn't make something "non-organic."

opps - yes, it does

The USDA organic seal verifies that irradiation, sewage sludge, synthetic fertilizers, prohibited pesticides, and genetically modified organisms were not used.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/ams.fetchTemplateData.do?template=TemplateN&rightNav1=NOSBlinkNOSBMeetings&topNav=&leftNav=&page=NOPOrganicStandards&resultType=

For some reason I just wasn't aware that Mexican tortillas are GMO. I have been disturbed by this info. since I read it.

So square with me, the bags of MASACA are GMO corn. Is ALL Mexican corn GMO?

Do any of you use an alternative? When in the states, I do have a source for organic tortillas. I just didn't think about it here.

No, there is currently (at least allegedly) no Mexican corn that is GMO, although the (again, allegedly) first crop is in the ground. The Calderón government authorized test crops to be planted in several Mexican states, although most people who are aware of the corn situation in Mexico believe that there is already GMO corn being harvested in many locations.

Maseca imports most of its tortilla corn from--guess where? The USA, where almost all corn is now GMO. Read here for more information on Monsanto's history: http://fracturedparadigm.com/2013/04/15/monsantos-dirty-dozen-the-12-most-awful-products-made-by-monsanto/

Aside from what is set forth in the above-linked article, why should we be especially concerned about GMO corn in Mexico? A poster up-thread said that Mexico's corn is 'the oldest in the world'. In fact, corn originated in Mexico approximately 3500 B.C. and was taken to the rest of the world during the Spanish occupation here. So what?, you might well ask. Mexico has hundreds if not thousands of kinds of maíz criollo (native corn types). Corn is pollinated by air. Suppose a huge field of maíz transgénico (GMO corn) were planted next to a field of ancient blue corn--still grown in Mexico--or ancestral red corn--still grown in Mexico. The pollen from the GMO corn would blow into the fields of ancient corn, fertilizing and subsequently destroying the field of Mexico's ancient history. Along with Mexico's patrimony of true corn, regional cuisines which depend on regional types of corn would also be destroyed: without the different varieties of corn, regional specialty foods from ancient days cannot be prepared. One corn does not substitute for another. One corn variety (biodiversity, folks) does not suffice for all needs.

The ancient Maya believed that corn was god, and that humankind was born of corn. For more on that, read here: http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2010/07/sin-ma%C3%ADz-no-hay-pa%C3%ADs-without-corn-there-is-no-country.html

Some argue that GMO corn and other crops will poison our bodies. Others argue that Monsanto must be stopped from contaminating our earth with its insecticide RoundUp, created specifically to use in GMO fields of corn. I contend that here in Mexico, Monsanto must be stopped to preserve our culture and heritage. Sin maíz, no hay país. Without corn--true corn, Mexican corn--there is no country.

Thank you for that good post.

Where I am from, Taos NM, and around the New Mexico Indian Pueblos, there are many varieties of heirloom corn, and the Amercan Indians do all they can to protect this. And to protect the seeds.

When I lived on the Big Island of Hawaii, some friends of ours were working on GMO test plots as agricultural scientists. During this time, I became quite aware of the secretiveness with which the Hawaiian Islands were being used for this purpose. The Natives were protesting because they didn't want their taro roots and other sacred crops contaminated. During this time, my friendships were really strained with these scientists, who were conscientious about life in so many other ways, but completely "sold out" in their careers. They also used alot of round-up onj their property. What a turnoff. No longer friends.....

I could no longer minimize how i felt about their involvement and first hand reports of GMO papaya, bokchoy and other experiments. It ruining our world, and we can't minimize the impact.

opps - yes, it does

The USDA organic seal verifies that irradiation, sewage sludge, synthetic fertilizers, prohibited pesticides, and genetically modified organisms were not used.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/ams.fetchTemplateData.do?template=TemplateN&rightNav1=NOSBlinkNOSBMeetings&topNav=&leftNav=&page=NOPOrganicStandards&resultType=

Thank you Shelley! I think Monsanto is an agricultural Nazi .

I am always amazed at how many foreigners living here think that most of the food they buy in Mexico is unadulterated. That all the chickens come from people's back yards and aren't fed hormones and antibiotics, that the vegetables and fruit are more or less organic. Aside from GMO corn, pesticides and herbicides are used freely, (the farmers unfortunately aren't even educated to know that they should be wearing gloves and masks), the chickens are kept in little cages in big chicken factories just like up north, etc. Those big luscious-looking strawberries- wouldn't touch them, heavily sprayed.

I am always amazed at how many foreigners living here think that most of the food they buy in Mexico is unadulterated. That all the chickens come from people's back yards and aren't fed hormones and antibiotics, that the vegetables and fruit are more or less organic.

They're not? Oh, no.

The ancient Maya believed that corn was god, and that humankind was born of corn. For more on that, read here: http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2010/07/sin-ma%C3%ADz-no-hay-pa%C3%ADs-without-corn-there-is-no-country.html

Some argue that GMO corn and other crops will poison our bodies. Others argue that Monsanto must be stopped from contaminating our earth with its insecticide RoundUp, created specifically to use in GMO fields of corn. I contend that here in Mexico, Monsanto must be stopped to preserve our culture and heritage. Sin maíz, no hay país. Without corn--true corn, Mexican corn--there is no country.

Excellent viewpoint. Truly. Thank you.

One other point about maíz criollo (native corn) vs maíz transgénico (GMO corn) in Mexico: for all of these milennia, the Mexican farmer has saved ears of the best corn he grows to use as seed for the following year's crop. Year upon year upon year upon year, that's how it's been done.

But: GMO corn cannot reproduce itself. If a farmer switches from maíz criollo to maíz transgénico, he will not be able to save seed for planting his next year's crop. He will continually have to buy GMO seed to plant--year upon year upon year. Most small farmers are at the subsistence level and cannot afford this expense--and coupled with the expense of proprietary insecticides, the situation is worsened.

AND: remember that last night I posted the part about the wind blowing GMO pollen into native corn fields? The mixture of GMO pollen with native corn converts the native corn into a bastard species that--you guessed it--cannot reproduce itself.

Next time there is an anti-GMO or anti-Monsanto march in Mexico, join up. Mexico is depending on all of us.

Driving the "back way" to Guadalajara (through El Molino), you pass many large corn fields that bear small signs that identify the "brand" of corn (e.g., Dekalb) and a number indicating the specific type of seed (hybrid, I'm sure). I would not be surprised if those strains were genetically modified. Large-scale farming here in Mexico is very sophisticated, and profit is the motivator.

Driving the "back way" to Guadalajara (through El Molino), you pass many large corn fields that bear small signs that identify the "brand" of corn (e.g., Dekalb) and a number indicating the specific type of seed (hybrid, I'm sure). I would not be surprised if those strains were genetically modified. Large-scale farming here in Mexico is very sophisticated, and profit is the motivator.

You are so right, OaklandGuy. Any corn field you see with that sort of branding is 99.999% certain to be GMO.

You are so right, OaklandGuy. Any corn field you see with that sort of branding is 99.999% certain to be GMO.

Dekalb Genetics Corporation was bought out by Monsanto in 1998. Monsanto also acquired the right to use the brand name and logo. So DeKalb crops are actually Monsanto crops. However, it's likely that the corn fields you see are hybrid corn, but not necessarily GM. There is a difference between "hybrid" and "genetically modified," although it is quite possible for a seed to be both hybrid and GM. Monsanto sells hybrid seed, GM seed, and hybrid GM seed.

An organism which is GM but not hybrid will reproduce and the offspring will be the same as the parents. Consider Roundup Ready Canola, for example. It isn't legal for a farmer to save that seed and grow it, but it's certainly possible. The fact that it is possible means that some farmers will inevitably get away with it, which seriously annoys Monsanto.

If an organism is hybrid, it will not "breed true" if in fact it can reproduce at all. Mules, for example (offspring of a horse and a donkey) rarely produce babies. The next generation of the hybrid tomatoes which I used to grow would produce only spindly little plants and no tomatoes. The next generation of my hybrid chicks were an odd assortment of chickens that were quite healthy but they didn't look like Mom or Dad and they didn't produce either meat or eggs as well as their parents. There's very little incentive to save the products of hybrid seed for future crops.

Of course there are now seeds that are both hybrid and GM, which means it is illegal to save them and also not very tempting.

• 1 month later...

One other point about maíz criollo (native corn) vs maíz transgénico (GMO corn) in Mexico: for all of these milennia, the Mexican farmer has saved ears of the best corn he grows to use as seed for the following year's crop. Year upon year upon year upon year, that's how it's been done.

But: GMO corn cannot reproduce itself. If a farmer switches from maíz criollo to maíz transgénico, he will not be able to save seed for planting his next year's crop. He will continually have to buy GMO seed to plant--year upon year upon year. Most small farmers are at the subsistence level and cannot afford this expense--and coupled with the expense of proprietary insecticides, the situation is worsened.

AND: remember that last night I posted the part about the wind blowing GMO pollen into native corn fields? The mixture of GMO pollen with native corn converts the native corn into a bastard species that--you guessed it--cannot reproduce itself.

Next time there is an anti-GMO or anti-Monsanto march in Mexico, join up. Mexico is depending on all of us.

I'm afraid there's another layer to this: All corn crops around the world must periodically be crossed with the native, wild, ancestral corn to reinvigorate it. This is true of all food crops. Without the periodic re-crossing with the original genome, the cultivated varieties (in the crops being grown) simply wither then eventually are no longer viable. So, it is imperative that this ancestral corn is kept separated from any GMO version of corn. (In the early days of NAFTA, a GMO corn shipment was sent to areas around Oaxaca where the ancestral corn is and the farmers used it for seed.)

No, there is currently (at least allegedly) no Mexican corn that is GMO, although the (again, allegedly) first crop is in the ground. The Calderón government authorized test crops to be planted in several Mexican states, although most people who are aware of the corn situation in Mexico believe that there is already GMO corn being harvested in many locations.

Maseca imports most of its tortilla corn from--guess where? The USA, where almost all corn is now GMO. Read here for more information on Monsanto's history: http://fracturedparadigm.com/2013/04/15/monsantos-dirty-dozen-the-12-most-awful-products-made-by-monsanto/

Aside from what is set forth in the above-linked article, why should we be especially concerned about GMO corn in Mexico? A poster up-thread said that Mexico's corn is 'the oldest in the world'. In fact, corn originated in Mexico approximately 3500 B.C. and was taken to the rest of the world during the Spanish occupation here. So what?, you might well ask. Mexico has hundreds if not thousands of kinds of maíz criollo (native corn types). Corn is pollinated by air. Suppose a huge field of maíz transgénico (GMO corn) were planted next to a field of ancient blue corn--still grown in Mexico--or ancestral red corn--still grown in Mexico. The pollen from the GMO corn would blow into the fields of ancient corn, fertilizing and subsequently destroying the field of Mexico's ancient history. Along with Mexico's patrimony of true corn, regional cuisines which depend on regional types of corn would also be destroyed: without the different varieties of corn, regional specialty foods from ancient days cannot be prepared. One corn does not substitute for another. One corn variety (biodiversity, folks) does not suffice for all needs.

Whoever control the food source and water will be owner of the planet. We are going that way fast.

Archived