Chapala.com Webboard

sanity returns

The last 7 months around here have certainly been entertaining.

First of all was the new Visas. Just reading this web board, you would have believed that MX was going to run most of the Gringos off because of financials. People here were in a panic, talking about selling homes and moving back north.

Eventually the dust settled and it became clear that if you had a visa, you didn't need any financials and everyone was OK.

Then the auto story took over. People paniced again. Scam artists appeared, took money and disappeared.

The first story was that everyone would have to drive to the border and get their car nationalized there. Cops were going to sieze cars that were now illegal. Once again, people were talking about selling out and moving somewhere else.

Now, it is clear that you don't have to go to the border and although it will require money and a day or so of time, getting a car nationalized is not all that much of a problem.

Give it another couple of weeks and some enterprising people will figure out how to do it for you without you ever leaving home.

Never a dull moment in Mexico.....

So, Spencer, what do you charge for a regular renewal of the old FM-3. Mine has a one on the back even though I have been here seven years. What is the cost, what are my options and when should I start the process? My FM-3 expires Aug 3. Thanks

Archived