Chapala.com Webboard

Today's Trip to Laredo

Ajijic

I drove to Laredo today from SMA an 8 hour trip. There were 3 Federales check points and 2 military. I recently got a new windshield and the car permit is not on the windshield but stuck on a piece of glass now in the glove compartment from the old windshield.. At one of the check points I was pulled aside. I showed my Permanent Resident visa and waved on. No one cared there was no car permit evident even with foreign plates.

I was not worried as I had it but it reminds me of the stress some have over bringing in a pet and rarely are documents required. I am not saying do not be prepared, simply interesting they never asked or noticed or cared..

As a follow up to my trip to Laredo. I had written 3 dealerships that buy cars. I gave the VIN. I clearly stated the car is currently registered in Ontario Canada but was originally purchased and registered in Michigan. All 3 wrote back saying not at issue and they can legally buy it.

First stop was CarMax in San Antonio. Again, I noted the above. My 2008 SUV is really in excellent condition. They offered $10,500 which is $2500 less than Kelly Blue Book. I very reluctantly said OK. I went to business office to be paid. The short version is, they stated we can not buy this vehicle unless you register in in Texas and pay about $700 in tax and that takes about two weeks.

I went to the two other places and immediately explained the circumstances. the answer was the same. Of course I was less than happy after driving so far.

So, I drove back to San Miguel with my car. No sticker on windshield but in glove box as I noted. I stopped at the checkpoint approx. 25 miles in from Nuevo Laredo. I showed my Permanent Resident visa and waved through. i went through two more military check points with not being stopped and no car permit obvious.

In summary, take a deep breath everyone and relax as I now remind myself to do the same. Viva Mexico.

At end of year i can nationalize based on age of vehicle or I will have our friend who is a cop have his contacts nationalize it in the state of Mexico now for 20,000 pesos max.

I suspect the issue with selling wholesale and price quoted is not untypical. I would have lost $2500 based on KBB and with the difference in retail prices retail lost more. To buy an equivalent car in Mexico would have been approx $2000 more than US retail prices as used cars here are more. The history of a used car in Mexico can not be verified so a gamble. In all $5000 plus to have same vehicle bought here and likely condition less. As a pensioner that is a lot of dinero for zero gain. I relate to those frustrated with this whole issue.

Archived