Chapala.com Webboard

How to Successfully Legalize Your Car at Lake Chapala

Due to the changes in immigration law as of last November, it's more difficult to remain a temporary resident in Mexico after four years than it used to be. Before that time, all you had to do was get a renewal for another year at the Chapala immigration office. Now you have to allow your temporary resident visa to expire, go back to your home country, and apply for a new temporary resident visa at a Mexican consulate. That cannot be done within Mexico. Its much easier to become a permanent resident after those four years because that can be done locally.

The problem is that permanent residents may not own foreign vehicles. This has become such a problem that many scams have been reported in assisting people in getting their vehicles nationalized. One reputable source can now be reported as having a successful track record in nationalizing vehicles without having to go to the border: S & S Auto in Riberas del Pilar. Their first batch of two vehicles were successfully nationalized last week.

Only vehicles whose VIN number begins with a 1,2, 3, 4, or 5 (made in a NAFTA country), and that are model year 2007 or older qualify.

As a first step, S & S Auto contracts with a border agent to get a pedimento for the vehicle. This costs between $1,700 and $2,200 USD, and takes approximately three weeks. That makes the vehicle a permanent import (as opposed to a temporary import, which most vehicles get permission for when they cross the border). The pedimento allows the owner 30 days to register the car in a Mexican state and get license plates. When that's complete, S & S Auto verifies the legality of the pedimento through Aduana's website.

The second step involves making an appointment to take the vehicle to the secretary of finance in Guadalajara for State of Jalisco registration and plates. This process can be done by the owner personally, or a representative from S & S Auto can act as facilitator for this step for a fee of approximately $300 USD. The owner would need to leave the Lake Chapala area at 5AM, and the process is usually completed by 2PM of the same day. Expenses paid to the Secretaria de Finanzas de Jalisco (Jalisco secretary of finance) are between $300 and $600 USD, depending on the vehicle's make and age, and includes validation, verification, a hologram, registration, plates, and various taxes.

The entire process takes about a month from beginning to end. Although S & S Auto has had hundreds of inquires recently about this service, they will only process about five vehicles per week. They are reluctant to process too many at any one time in order to protect themselves and their customers. The rules and regulations enforcing the nationalization of vehicles, and the interpretation of pedimento laws, sometimes changes without notice.

Inquiries may be made to info@ssauto.com.mx.

As a first step, S & S Auto contracts with a border agent to get a pedimento for the vehicle first. This costs between $1,700 and $2,000 USD, and takes approximately three weeks. That makes the vehicle a permanent import (as opposed to a temporary import, which most vehicles get permission for when they cross the border). The pedimento allows the owner 30 days to register the car in a Mexican state and get license plates. When thats complete, S & S Auto verifies the legality of the pedimento.

Could you explain the ''between $1,700 and $2,000 USD''? Is it based on the age of the vehicle? The type?

Thanks for your time

That's what JRM reported and I know him personally and he doesn't take risks with stuff like this.

Appears to be a bit more expensive but not if you figure what it costs to drive up there, sit in a hotel for some days, and then drive back.

my neighbors tried to get their car nationalized thru S&S and nothing ever got done and it was a nafta car.

There might have been circumstances that were beyond control ... when was this?

Could you explain the ''between $1,700 and $2,000 USD''? Is it based on the age of the vehicle? The type?

Thanks for your time

Yes, price varied depending on the valude of the vehicle being imported (age, make, model)

The aduana web site to verify pedimentos doesn't always give results (I recently saw some data not showing up for a valid pedimento) and I can verify pedimentos at SAT personally to hopefully avoid being detained and having the vehicle seized.

The aduana web site to verify pedimentos doesn't always give results (I recently saw some data not showing up for a valid pedimento) and I can verify pedimentos at SAT personally to hopefully avoid being detained and having the vehicle seized.

I'm not sure. That was what S & S Auto told me. You could inquire.

S&S Auto - as you can imagine - is inundated with inquiries ... best to send an email to carsinmexico@gmail.com or make an appointment :)

Archived