Chapala.com Webboard

Bird siting, what is it?

No pic, sorry. I've been seeing this bird for the last year so it is indigenous and not a migrator. This is a bluish black bird about the shape of a grackle (ticus) but smaller. It is singing a lot now so maybe it's its mating season. It is a champion singer on the order of the Northern Mockingbird with a constantly changing song. I can't yet tell whether the actual song changes (like with the mockingbird) or whether it is actually modulating one or more main song subjects. It is quite loathe to let me view it at any nearness. It will immediately fly away. (Unlike the mockingbird which loves an audience.) The closest birds I could find in the guides are the Melodious Blackbird and the Black Catbird. But the guides do not indicate a song as mellifluous and extensive as this birds'. Any ideas, lakeside birders?

No pic, sorry. I've been seeing this bird for the last year so it is indigenous and not a migrator. This is a bluish black bird about the shape of a grackle (ticus) but smaller. It is singing a lot now so maybe it's its mating season. It is a champion singer on the order of the Northern Mockingbird with a constantly changing song. I can't yet tell whether the actual song changes (like with the mockingbird) or whether it is actually modulating one or more main song subjects. It is quite loathe to let me view it at any nearness. It will immediately fly away. (Unlike the mockingbird which loves an audience.) The closest birds I could find in the guides are the Melodious Blackbird and the Black Catbird. But the guides do not indicate a song as mellifluous and extensive as this birds'. Any ideas, lakeside birders?

I suspect it is a blue mocking bird:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Mockingbird

I think that's it. I haven't seen the red eye yet or black patch but recordings of Blue Mockingbirds on the internet are a good match. Thanks, Bournemouth.

I saw the black patch around the eye today so the bird I saw definitely was a Blue Mockingbird. We're lucky to have them around.

Archived