Chapala.com Webboard

Update Guad Apt nationalization

MX plates are on the car. It took a total of 9 days from start to finish. Plates have been checked and are legal.

Cost was $28,500MXN for customs and broker and $1400MXN for plates.

All the people who said it cannot be done are wrong.

Congrats. Details?

Go to Guad airport to the air freight compound, up near the motel.

Take:

Color pictures of the car, front, back, left, right, label on the drivers door and of the VIN #

proof of residence and 2 copies. Util bill or lease

Original title and 2 copies

MX picture ID. Drivers license or visa, and 2 copies

Age of vehicle, # of cylinders, size of motor, # lugs per wheel, manual or automatic, gas or diesel, 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive

We used Secorp but any broker can do it.

Mucho pesos. For a 2006 Jeep it was 28,500. Max is 35,000, less for older cars.

Pay the money, get a receipt and a date to have it inspected.

Drive across Guad to the inspection station and get it inspected. Takes most of the day.

Wait a few days and go back to the airport for your plates. They are about $1400P

Contribute 100P to the Red Cross as a thank you for not having to drive to the border.

I am glad it worked but usually you get the plates at the end of the vehicle verification process. It seems like some people are able to nationalize and it is working, too early to see anybody with a good track record.

As far as I can tell, anyone can do it or you can pay someone to do it for you.

The only problem is getting the car to the inspection and back. You do not have to be there in person anywhere.

I cannot find any loophole where I can get a MX to drive my car to the inspection and back legally. You have to be a Gringo or be in the car for that to be legal. If I have to drive, why would I need any help?

However, driving across Guad at 5am to get in line and spending most of the day just hanging around is a lot easier and cheaper than driving to the border.........

But your car has become Mexican, has it not - even if it does not yet have Jalisco plates - so a Mexican "ought" to be able to drive it to the inspection station.

I don't know when it becomes "Mexican". It's in the gray area.

Technically, my FM-3 has expired so I'm illegal driving it.

With the federal pedimento your car became legally imported into Mexico and became Mexican. You can drive 30 days without plates, come by and I will print you the federal decree authorizing such.

With the federal pedimento your car became legally imported into Mexico and became Mexican. You can drive 30 days without plates, come by and I will print you the federal decree authorizing such.

Spencer at the risk of giving you the 1,000th 'big-head'..... you are just a jewel for this community!

Here's the exact question:

1. I go to the airport turn in the paperwork, pay the fee and get an appointment for the inspection.

2. I drive across Guad and get approved

3. I drive home.

Exactly where in that process does it become MX?

I know that I can drive it but could someone else drive it to the inspection who is MX and be legal?

Ok, in order for you to do your appointment for the license plates in Guadalajara a pedimento is needed as without one you cannot get plates, the pedimento is the receipt for payment of the fees for permanently importing the car. That is something the guys at the airport probably obtained. You may have it and not know it.

Your car becomes Mexican the day of payment and issuance of the pedimento. Anyone can drive the car as it is Mexican, assuming you have the pedimento, however, not anybody can do the paperwork at the inspection for you unless they have a notarized power of attorney.

Ok, in order for you to do your appointment for the license plates in Guadalajara a pedimento is needed as without one you cannot get plates, the pedimento is the receipt for payment of the fees for permanently importing the car. That is something the guys at the airport probably obtained. You may have it and not know it.

Your car becomes Mexican the day of payment and issuance of the pedimento. Anyone can drive the car as it is Mexican, assuming you have the pedimento, however, not anybody can do the paperwork at the inspection for you unless they have a notarized power of attorney.

Thanks....

That makes things a lot better.

There are people here with a NOB plated car and a Permanente visa.

They do not have to have the car on hand to pay the fee. So, they can pay the fee, keep the paperwork and receipt and drive it over to get it inspected since it is now a "MX import".

If they get stopped by the cops, they are legal.

MX plates are on the car. It took a total of 9 days from start to finish. Plates have been checked and are legal.

Cost was $28,500MXN for customs and broker and $1400MXN for plates.

All the people who said it cannot be done are wrong.

I am hoping that the customs/broker fee is a one time only deal and that plates run around 1400MXN per year? Am I correct? Thanks

I am hoping that the customs/broker fee is a one time only deal and that plates run around 1400MXN per year? Am I correct? Thanks

I think yearly renewals are around 400P now.

Archived