Chapala.com Webboard

Comparaison with old and new law (INM)

bonbon

I realized by the questions asked on the forum that certain aspects of the INM regulations are misunderstood by many people. I have prepared something to help understand the difference between all the terms In order to clarify the present situation, especially for newbies.

The articles of the law never used the terms FM3 and FM2. Those terms were given to identify the different visa forms used.

This is the old rules. REGLAMENTO DE LA LEY GENERAL DE POBLACIÓN

Nuevo Reglamento publicado en el Diario Oficial de la Federación el 14 de abril de 2000

Please take note of the terms: Non-inmigrante, Immigrante, Immigrado.

Article 41. Los extranjeros podrán internarse legalmente en el país de acuerdo con las siguientes calidades:

Translation -- Foreigners may enter legally in the country according to the following characteristics:

No Inmigrante
Inmigrante.

I REPEAT -- THE TERMS FM3 AND FM2 ARE NOT USED IN THE LAW AND THAT WAS IN 2000 before the amendments (before they replaced the booklet by the card—before they indicated Non-inmigrante and Inmigrante on the card that we have now).

Article 42. No Inmigrante es el extranjero que con permiso de la Secretaría de Gobernación se interna en el país temporalmente, dentro de alguna de las siguientes características:

Translation – Non Immigrante (My note: corresponding to the form FM3) is the foreigner . . . who enters the country temporarily within any of the following characteristics: (here they include: students, visitors, refugees, retired people, etc.)

Article 44. Inmigrante es el extranjero que se interna legalmente en el país con el propósito de radicarse en él, en tanto adquiera la calidad de inmigrado.

Translation -- Immigrante (My note: corresponding to the form FM2) is the foreigner who enters the country for the purpose of settling in it to acquire the quality of immigrado.

Article 52. Inmigrado es el extranjero que adquiere derechos de residencia definitiva en el país.

Translation -- Immigrado is a foreigner who acquires rights of permanent residence in the country. (My note: which is permanent resident)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now in the new law, the terms Non-Inmigrante, Inmigrante, Inmigrado have disappeared to be replaced by temporal and permanent. We have to transfer to the new terms to eliminate the old terms. Also, depending on your status, you can chose to become permanent or stay temporary resident without financials. If you want to apply, regardless of your status, (as a newbie) you have to leave the country and present financials.

IV. Visa de residencia temporal, que autoriza al extranjero para presentarse en cualquier lugar destinado al tránsito internacional de personas y solicitar su ingreso a territorio nacional, con el objeto de permanecer por un tiempo no mayor a cuatro años. (My note: corresponding to the old Non-inmigrante and Inmigrante (FM3 and FM2 forms).

VI. Visa de residencia permanente, que autoriza al extranjero para presentarse en cualquier lugar destinado al tránsito internacional de personas y solicitar su ingreso a territorio nacional, con el objeto de permanecer de manera indefinida. (My note: corresponding to the old Inmigrado, which was permanent residence)

So, under the old law, you could drive a foreign plated-car as a Non Inmigrante and Inmigrante (not Inmigrado, which was permanent residence). And now, with the new law, you can drive your foreign plated-car as a temporary resident and not permanent resident. (Just like before). The inconvenience NOW is that, after 4 years on your temporary visa, you have to reapply outside of Mexico. A good occasion to visit your family.

The new arrivals can apply for permanent residency right way (if they qualify) and are cutting the temporary residency (like we used to have for 5 years on an FM2). Also, the FM3s have a chance to upgrade to permanent residency as well (depending on the number of times they have renewed their FM3). The FM2s (with three or four renewals) can of course apply for permanent residency, which was their intention anyway.

In my opinion, the rumor circulating right now about counting previous years is simply to accommodate the Inmigrante (FM2s) who did not renew three or four times yet. The people who have been on a Non Inmigrante ( FM3) for 5 years and then on FM2 for one or two years, would be behind the FM3 who have 4 years, right? Well . . . that is difficult to swallow for the FM2s. But que sera, sera!!

I have also noted that a few people confuse “citizenship” with “permanent residence”. Citizenship has nothing to do with what most of us are dealing with at the moment. Citizenship is another step to obtain a Mexican passport and the right to vote.

I’m not sure it’s easy to follow. I had colors, and after I pasted, the colors disappeared.

I hope it is still clear and that it helps.

So, what is your point, Joco?

I can send you the whole "Ley General de Población" D.O.F. 7 de enero de 1974, if you are interested to see that the articles I stated are the same.

You might have misunderstood my whole operation.

So, what is your point, Joco?
I can send you the whole "Ley General de Población" D.O.F. 7 de enero de 1974, if you are interested to see that the articles I stated are the same.
You might have misunderstood my whole operation.

Their website was upgraded to Residente Temporal and Residente Permanente last September [their website update states: "Septiembre de 2011".

Sometime before this they were using FM2 with the newer classifications and FM3 with their newer classifications: INMIGRADO, INMIGRANTE, NO INMIGRANTE, INMIGRANTE RENTISTA, and Visitante which was not new. etc. I don´t remember when they dropped FM2 and FM3 altogether but many people wrote they still used the terms in their offices and regarding TIPs.

SAT ADUANA HAS NOT UPDATED to the latest TERMS of RESIDENTE PERMANENTE, RESIDENTE TEMPORAL ,SO FAR AND USE THE DIFFERENT CLASSIFICATIONS OF INMIGRADO, INMIGRANTE, NO INMIGRANTE, INMIGRANTE RENTISTA SINCE AT LEAST 25/abril/2013, ON THEIR WEBSITE.

On the SAT ADUANA website the procedure for applying for a TIP has an updated warning about the new INM law and classifications for who is eligible to have a TIP.

TIP rules, among others, on the SAT ADUANA website:

"Documentos necesarios para comprobar la calidad migratoria

Para extranjeros

Original y copia de su identificación oficial vigente la cual puede ser:

• Pasaporte.
  • Passport Card
  • La documentación expedida por el Instituto Nacional de Migración que acredite su calidad migratoria autorizada para el trámite."

Documents required to check immigration status

For foreigners

Original and copy of their official identification which can be:

◾ Passport.

◾ Passport Card

◾ The documentation issued by the National Migration Institute [iNM] stating their immigration authority to the [be allowed to use the ] process .[qualifying for a TIP] "

• AVISO:

Le sugerimos visitar el portal del link.gif Instituto Nacional de Migración para concocer las formas en que puede ingresar al país, ya que el pasado 25 de mayo de 2011 se publicó en el Diario Oficial de la Federación la Ley de Migración, la cual contiene nuevas disposiciones para el ingreso de visitantes a territorio nacional.

Antes de realizar su visita a México, infórmese."

WARNING:

"We suggest you visit the website of the link to an external site INM to concoct the ways in which you can enter the country, since last May 25, 2011 was published in the Official Journal of the Federation the Migration Act, the which contains new provisions for the entry of visitors to the country.

Before your visit to Mexico, learn."

Very clear to me now also. Thank you Seewee for this presentation. I have now checked the law concerning Immigrants and you are right I have not seen anywhere the terms FM2 and FM3. I guess the terms will stay in our vocabulary for a long time or with some oldies who are used to them.

Do you mean the same folks who take pictures with a kodak, or even some who hoover their rugs? All the rest have actually looked at their INM documents and determined what they are called; those big letters on the front.

I realized by the questions asked on the forum that certain aspects of the INM regulations are misunderstood by many people. I have prepared something to help understand the difference between all the terms In order to clarify the present situation, especially for newbies.

The articles of the law never used the terms FM3 and FM2. Those terms were given to identify the different visa forms used.

This is the old rules. REGLAMENTO DE LA LEY GENERAL DE POBLACIÓN

Nuevo Reglamento publicado en el Diario Oficial de la Federación el 14 de abril de 2000

Please take note of the terms: Non-inmigrante, Immigrante, Immigrado.

Article 41. Los extranjeros podrán internarse legalmente en el país de acuerdo con las siguientes calidades:

Translation -- Foreigners may enter legally in the country according to the following characteristics:

No Inmigrante

Inmigrante.

I REPEAT -- THE TERMS FM3 AND FM2 ARE NOT USED IN THE LAW AND THAT WAS IN 2000 before the amendments (before they replaced the booklet by the card—before they indicated Non-inmigrante and Inmigrante on the card that we have now).

Article 42. No Inmigrante es el extranjero que con permiso de la Secretaría de Gobernación se interna en el país temporalmente, dentro de alguna de las siguientes características:

Translation – Non Immigrante (My note: corresponding to the form FM3) is the foreigner . . . who enters the country temporarily within any of the following characteristics: (here they include: students, visitors, refugees, retired people, etc.)

Article 44. Inmigrante es el extranjero que se interna legalmente en el país con el propósito de radicarse en él, en tanto adquiera la calidad de inmigrado.

Translation -- Immigrante (My note: corresponding to the form FM2) is the foreigner who enters the country for the purpose of settling in it to acquire the quality of immigrado.

Article 52. Inmigrado es el extranjero que adquiere derechos de residencia definitiva en el país.

Translation -- Immigrado is a foreigner who acquires rights of permanent residence in the country. (My note: which is permanent resident)

Now in the new law, the terms Non-Inmigrante, Inmigrante, Inmigrado have disappeared to be replaced by temporal and permanent. We have to transfer to the new terms to eliminate the old terms. Also, depending on your status, you can chose to become permanent or stay temporary resident without financials. If you want to apply, regardless of your status, (as a newbie) you have to leave the country and present financials.

IV. Visa de residencia temporal, que autoriza al extranjero para presentarse en cualquier lugar destinado al tránsito internacional de personas y solicitar su ingreso a territorio nacional, con el objeto de permanecer por un tiempo no mayor a cuatro años. (My note: corresponding to the old Non-inmigrante and Inmigrante (FM3 and FM2 forms).

VI. Visa de residencia permanente, que autoriza al extranjero para presentarse en cualquier lugar destinado al tránsito internacional de personas y solicitar su ingreso a territorio nacional, con el objeto de permanecer de manera indefinida. (My note: corresponding to the old Inmigrado, which was permanent residence)

So, under the old law, you could drive a foreign plated-car as a Non Inmigrante and Inmigrante (not Inmigrado, which was permanent residence). And now, with the new law, you can drive your foreign plated-car as a temporary resident and not permanent resident. (Just like before). The inconvenience NOW is that, after 4 years on your temporary visa, you have to reapply outside of Mexico. A good occasion to visit your family.

The new arrivals can apply for permanent residency right way (if they qualify) and are cutting the temporary residency (like we used to have for 5 years on an FM2). Also, the FM3s have a chance to upgrade to permanent residency as well (depending on the number of times they have renewed their FM3). The FM2s (with three or four renewals) can of course apply for permanent residency, which was their intention anyway.

In my opinion, the rumor circulating right now about counting previous years is simply to accommodate the Inmigrante (FM2s) who did not renew three or four times yet. The people who have been on a Non Inmigrante ( FM3) for 5 years and then on FM2 for one or two years, would be behind the FM3 who have 4 years, right? Well . . . that is difficult to swallow for the FM2s. But que sera, sera!!

I have also noted that a few people confuse “citizenship” with “permanent residence”. Citizenship has nothing to do with what most of us are dealing with at the moment. Citizenship is another step to obtain a Mexican passport and the right to vote.

I’m not sure it’s easy to follow. I had colors, and after I pasted, the colors disappeared.

I hope it is still clear and that it helps.

This is an ambiguous statement-

I just renewed my 2nd 5 year Fm3 which had 2 more years to go- (Peroga 1) to Temporal

INM did not recommend changing to Permanente - You would pay a large Penalty to change categories in mid term

- When this Temporal expires in April 2015 I can convert to Permanente WITHOUT FINANCIALS AND DO NOT NEED TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY TO APPLY - this CAN BE DONE at INM IN GUADALAJARA.

​Under current Aduana Law ---Temporal Visa -allows me to drive my foreign plated car until I convert to Permanente-

2 years time frame - assume GOV regulation may be passed to allow Permanete residents to keep their cars- if not- will then nationalize car in Mexico.

This is an ambiguous statement-

I just renewed my 2nd 5 year Fm3 which had 2 more years to go- (Peroga 1) to Temporal

INM did not recommend changing to Permanente - You would pay a large Penalty to change categories in mid term

- When this Temporal expires in April 2015 I can convert to Permanente WITHOUT FINANCIALS AND DO NOT NEED TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY TO APPLY - this CAN BE DONE at INM IN GUADALAJARA.

​Under current Aduana Law ---Temporal Visa -allows me to drive my foreign plated car until I convert to Permanente-

2 years time frame - assume GOV regulation may be passed to allow Permanete residents to keep their cars- if not- will then nationalize car in Mexico.

I'm not sure what part you might find ambiguous because you are right on all points. You explained in other words what my statement stated. And you are also lucky to have more time to allow you what you want to do and decide for your car.

You are better off staying temporal until your time is up. (Unless you want to sell a house in a hurry then permanent is necessary). You are right, you don't need to leave the country to renew your temporal, but, if you want to change category and go for permanent, because you have not accumulated the 4 years on non-inmigrante yet to do it from here, you would have to start new outside Mexico and show financials.

There is no large penalty to pay if you change category (in your case). (??) You would just have to leave Mexico to do it, and it, by itself, gets more costly and more burden, but I see no penalty.

You are better off staying temporal until your time is up. (Unless you want to sell a house in a hurry then permanent is necessary). You are right, you don't need to leave the country to renew your temporal, but, if you want to change category and go for permanent, because you have not accumulated the 4 years on non-inmigrante yet to do it from here, you would have to start new outside Mexico and show financials.

I'm not sure you do have to leave the country to change from a regular rentista visa to permanente. You do have to show financial records, but friends are changing without the required number of years and without returning north, simply by demonstrating sufficient financial worth.

I'm not sure you do have to leave the country to change from a regular rentista visa to permanente. You do have to show financial records, but friends are changing without the required number of years and without returning north, simply by demonstrating sufficient financial worth.

You might just be right. They have allowed it for some. Thanks.

What I don't quite understand, even after looking at Rolly's updated site, is how a spouse might get a Permanente after one of a couple has gotten one. It appears there is a provision for family members getting permanentes after one has qualified and gotten one but I'm a bit unclear as to how this might work.

What I don't quite understand, even after looking at Rolly's updated site, is how a spouse might get a Permanente after one of a couple has gotten one. It appears there is a provision for family members getting permanentes after one has qualified and gotten one but I'm a bit unclear as to how this might work.

CHAPTER THREE

Family Unity:

Article 111. Mexicans and foreigners temporary or permanent resident in the national territory, as well as applicants for temporary resident visa or permanent, are entitled to the preservation of the family unit.

To ensure the right effect noted in the preceding paragraph may request the issuance of a visa and enter the country with people who are indicated below, or apply to become so later.

I. Mexicans are entitled to apply for membership of:

a) father or mother;

b] Spouse;

c) concubine or mistress, or figure equivalent;

d) Children born abroad to non-Mexican in accordance with Article 30 of the Constitution;

e) Children's spouse, concubine or mistress or figure equivalent foreigners, provided they are girls, boys and adolescents who are not married and under their legal representation or who are of age, but are in a state of interdiction and under their legal representation, and

f) Brothers, provided they are girls, boys and adolescents who are not married and under their legal representation or who are of age, but are in a state of interdiction and under their legal representation.

II. Foreign nationals permanently resident in the country or permanent residence applicants are entitled to apply for membership of:

a) father or mother;

b] Spouse;

c) concubine or mistress, or figure equivalent;

d) Children of permanent resident spouse and children, or concubine or mistress or figure equivalent, provided they are girls, boys and adolescents and are not married, or who are over age but are in a state of interdiction and under their legal representation, and

e) Brothers, provided they are girls, boys and adolescents who are not married and under their legal representation, or who are over age but are in a state of interdiction and under their legal representation.

III. Foreign nationals permanently resident in the country for recognition of refugee status may apply to the Institute visa authorization for persons recognized by derivation in accordance with the provisions of the relevant legislation, and

IV. The temporary foreign residents in the country or temporary residence applicants are entitled to apply for membership of:

a) father or mother;

b] Spouse;

c) concubine or mistress, or figure equivalent and

d) Children of temporary resident spouse and children of the concubine or mistress or figure equivalent, provided they are girls, boys and adolescents who are not married and under their legal representation, or who are over age but are in a state of interdiction and under their legal representation.

In any case, it may apply to the right to the preservation of family unity, of more than one spouse, concubine or mistress or figure equivalent, although the law of another country allows.

CAPÍTULO TERCERO

DE LA UNIDAD FAMILIAR
Artículo 111. Los mexicanos y las personas extranjeras residentes temporales o permanentes en el territorio nacional, así como los solicitantes de visa de residente temporal o permanente, tienen derecho a la preservación de la unidad familiar.
Para efecto de garantizar el derecho señalado en el párrafo anterior, podrán solicitar la expedición de una visa e ingresar al territorio nacional con las personas que a continuación se señalan, o bien, solicitar su ingreso de manera posterior.
I. Los mexicanos tienen derecho a solicitar el ingreso de:
a) Padre o madre;
b] Cónyuge;
c) Concubinario o concubina, o figura equivalente;
d) Hijos nacidos en el extranjero que no sean mexicanos de conformidad con el artículo 30 de la Constitución;
e) Hijos del cónyuge, concubinario o concubina o figura equivalente, extranjeros, siempre y cuando sean niñas, niños o adolescentes que no hayan contraído matrimonio y estén bajo su representación legal o que sean mayores de edad, pero se encuentren en estado de interdicción y estén bajo su representación legal, y
f) Hermanos, siempre y cuando sean niñas, niños o adolescentes que no hayan contraído matrimonio y estén bajo su representación legal o que sean mayores de edad, pero se encuentren en estado de interdicción y estén bajo su representación legal.
II. Las personas extranjeras residentes permanentes en el territorio nacional o solicitantes de residencia permanente tienen derecho a solicitar el ingreso de:
a) Padre o madre;
b] Cónyuge;
c) Concubinario o concubina, o figura equivalente;
d) Hijos del residente permanente y los hijos del cónyuge, o concubinario o concubina o figura equivalente, siempre y cuando sean niñas, niños o adolescentes y no hayan contraído matrimonio, o bien, que sean mayores de edad, pero se encuentren en estado de interdicción y estén bajo su representación legal, y
e) Hermanos, siempre y cuando sean niñas, niños o adolescentes que no hayan contraído matrimonio y estén bajo su representación legal, o bien, que sean mayores de edad, pero que se encuentren en estado de interdicción y estén bajo su representación legal.
III. Las personas extranjeras residentes permanentes en el territorio nacional por reconocimiento de la condición de refugiado pueden solicitar ante el Instituto la autorización de visa a favor de las personas reconocidas por derivación de conformidad con lo dispuesto en la legislación en la materia, y
IV. Las personas extranjeras residentes temporales en el territorio nacional o solicitantes de residencia temporal tienen derecho a solicitar el ingreso de:
a) Padre o madre;
b] Cónyuge;
c) Concubinario o concubina, o figura equivalente, y
d) Hijos del residente temporal y los hijos del cónyuge concubinario o concubina o figura equivalente, siempre y cuando sean niñas, niños o adolescentes que no hayan contraído matrimonio y que estén bajo su representación legal, o bien, que sean mayores de edad, pero se encuentren en estado de interdicción y estén bajo su representación legal.
En ningún caso, se podrá solicitar el ingreso por el derecho a la preservación de unidad familiar, de más de un cónyuge, concubinario o concubina o figura equivalente, aunque la legislación de otro país lo permita.

Mainecoons Alan has covered it and a short version is: one spouse qualifies for the Temporary or Permanent resident visa and is pre-approved at a consulate. The spouse who did not qualify enters on a FMM tourist visa. Once the visa holder has their visa in their hand the spouse applies locally under "family". Some of the required documents (birth certificate, marriage license, etc), depending on the local INM office may need to be apostilled and for those applicants from countries such as Canada, China etc this is not not possible. Their option is to have required documents legalized another costly and less-than-easy process.

This is also how one brings in children without proving additional income.

As one can see the financial threshold is lower than before using this approach as only one needs to prove income.

Please don’t shoot if my post does not belong on this tread. If it is relevant, then by all means comment.

I have been coming to lakeside for 6 years now,,,,ALWAYS on tourist visa for 180 days. I never stayed for more than 6 months. I also have a 2001 dodge truck that I brought in (with my motorcycle) in 2009.

Last year, I wanted to stay for 8 months, so once I got to Chapala on my tourist visa, I upgraded it to FM3. The FM3 will expire in October of this year. What are my choices?? Can I go back to being “tourist” again? Does that help my Truck and bike? My wife is a Mexican Citizen,,,,does that help or hinder anything?! The longest I would ever stay in Mexico is 8 months out of each year.

Regards,

In the present situation, you may have some insurmountable problems due to the length of time it is taking INM to renew documents; often several months. You could buy an exit-return authorization, but it is only good for 60 days. Catch 22 situation if you want to remain Residente Temporal (replaced FM3, look at your card.) and be able to leave your vehicles in Mexico when you leave.

One option that I see, for your situation, in view of the current INM SNAFU, would be to limit your stays to 180 days, or less and formally cancel your visa at your next exit and continue to come and go as a tourist with your vehicles, each time.

Another option is to stay, convert to Residente Permanente as the spouse of a citizen and then have the freedom to come and go at will; but you would have to remove your foreign plated vehicles and replace them with Mexican plated substitutes. This could take quite a while.

No really good answers at this time.

Archived