Chapala.com Webboard

Carry or Not to Carry Your RP?

hensley

If I was a Mexican Citizen I wouldn't be carrying my passport all the time so how would they know what my immigration status was.

Your IFE card is all you need to prove citizenship. Immigrants by law/rules have to carry their original INM visa to prove legal residence in Mexico or could be legally detained by INM officers, A notarized copy might or might not work. Depends on who wants to see it. Simple.

Though I didn't always, I carried my US Green Card with me most of the time as you are supposed to.... when living in the US. I think most immigrants in most countries are supposed to carry their id card. I get people are afraid it will get lost or stolen, but we have computers now and, if you have a certified copy, you can get a replacement fairly easily.

US, Canada or Mexico. You lose your immigrant id card, you are going to have to pay for a replacement.

I was never stopped and asked to show my Green Card in the US and I doubt that I will be stopped and asked here, unless driving a foreign plated car. Still..... should carry the card. I just think these rules and regulations are really easier for those of us who have been immigrants before, to accept.

If I was a Mexican Citizen I wouldn't be carrying my passport all the time so how would they know what my immigration status was.

Don't most Mexicans carry a voters card as picture id?

Edit: Oops. I see several of us answered close to the same time.

Don't most Mexicans carry a voters card as picture id?

Yes the IFC card and when using credit or credit cards and signing contracts it is the only card most places will accept. Most Mexicans do not have a passport here I was told.

I have been opening bank accounts etc. and use my INM visa card successfully but need my RFC card, IMSS "seguridad social" number to get no fee or a minimum deposit required accounts. Alan

Though I didn't always, I carried my US Green Card with me most of the time as you are supposed to.... when living in the US. I think most immigrants in most countries are supposed to carry their id card. I get people are afraid it will get lost or stolen, but we have computers now and, if you have a certified copy, you can get a replacement fairly easily.

US, Canada or Mexico. You lose your immigrant id card, you are going to have to pay for a replacement.

I was never stopped and asked to show my Green Card in the US and I doubt that I will be stopped and asked here, unless driving a foreign plated car. Still..... should carry the card. I just think these rules and regulations are really easier for those of us who have been immigrants before, to accept.

I immigrated 35 years ago to the USA from Canada and know how it works, especially when travelling even inside the US. In the US you HAVE to carry your "Green Card" no matter what anyone tells you or you are in violation of Immigration Law.

In the US anyone copying a "Green Card" has broken the law. Only an Immigration Oficial can make a copy legally when I was in that situation and copying your Naturalization Document was also illegal back then in the early 80s and states that right on the document.

It appears the same here now.

When you receive your new INM card you sign for it in 2 ledger books. You also sign the form which the card is siliconed to which states you must carry your INM document and show it to any INM official who asks to see it.

""Safeguard and keep the documentation to prove your identity and your situation [migratory];

Show the documentation to prove your identity or your authorized migratory situation, when required by immigration authorities; "

"Resguardar y custodiar la documentacion que acredite su identidad y su situacion;

Monstrar la documentacion que acredite su identidad o su situacion migratoria regular, cuando le sea requerida por las autoridades migratorias; "

Is this simply a suggestion or does it imply a notarized copy will pass or is a rule, you decide?

Hard to believe that none of the posters has never been asked for an Official ID- Even at your Bank

3 weeks ago ATM's inside Bancomer were out of service- went to window gave my DEBIT Card and asked for Cash- according to clerk--- Passport required- said NO I don't carry it with me- offered my Drivers License with photo- NO not acceptable-....... My Visa was at INM being renewed

Talked to Supervisor- NO LUCK -Passport or Visa Originals only- Left went back couple of hours later to use ATM

AND this is not the first time this has happened have also been asked when using a credit card for a large purchase to verify identity....

I have carried my ORIGINAL VISA SINCE THEY WENT PLASTIC SEVERAL YEARS AGO

In Chapala Bancomer they accept driver licenses and there is a sigh saying so, maybe with so many foreigners in the Chapala area they got with the program. All government offices accept notary certified copies.

As far as my statement that being illegal in Mexico isn't a crime, that doesn't mean it isn't an administrative wrong that is punishable by fine or deporatiation.

Archived