Chapala.com Webboard

Carry or Not to Carry Your RP?

hensley

Since we have our Residente Permanente in our hot little hands and we are MX Plated and have MX drivers licensed, is there any need to carry our cards?

Since we have our Residente Permanente in our hot little hands and we are MX Plated and have MX drivers licensed, is there any need to carry our cards?

When you receive your new INM card you sign for it in 2 ledger books. You also sign the form which the card is siliconed to which states you must carry your INM document and show it to any INM official who asks to see it.

""Safeguard and keep the documentation to prove your identity and your situation [migratory];

Show the documentation to prove your identity or your authorized migratory situation, when required by immigration authorities; "

"Resguardar y custodiar la documentacion que acredite su identidad y su situacion;

Monstrar la documentacion que acredite su identidad o su situacion migratoria regular, cuando le sea requerida por las autoridades migratorias; "

To me when I signed this form and they stamped it with their seal, initialed it with their own stamp it indicated I was by law/rule [agreement] required to carry my card on me at all times, not a copy.

It is the same as a plastic credit card and even washing it will not damage it. Alan

My Lawyer said to make a copy or two because it would be easier to replace should it be lost or stolen. I think I will get certified copies when I return. I scanned in copies of my passport and RP card and emailed the images to myself. That way I can always get a copy.

My Lawyer said to make a copy or two because it would be easier to replace should it be lost or stolen. I think I will get certified copies when I return. I scanned in copies of my passport and RP card and emailed the images to myself. That way I can always get a copy.

Just don't try to present a copy, no matter how good it looks, as the 'real deal'. That's against the law.

I have been robbed at gunpoint and my truck stolen with my wallet in it, so do you think I want to carry something if I don't have to?

I carry a laminated color copy of my visa instead of the original. I wrote COPIA over it before having it laminated. I doubt even any of the local yokels will accuse me of trying to pass it off as an original.

If I go somewhere exotic, like an airport or a government office, I bring the original.

P.S. Congrats on the Permanente Visa. How long did it take after you got the "at the printers in Mexico City" message?

I carry a notarized copy of mine. Hopefully that will be fine and I don't have to worry about losing it as I hear they are difficult to replace.

I have been robbed at gunpoint and my truck stolen with my wallet in it, so do you think I want to carry something if I don't have to?

I had no idea. My apologies. Keep it at home and carry a notarized copy with you. I am so sorry that this happened to you. And now we know the rest of the story and understand the reason for your question. I was once held up at gunpoint when I was at an ATM machine in the States. Took me many months to get over the incredible fear that I could have died

in a second at the whim of the gun holder. Hope you are OK

To have colored copies of any legal document is considered a fraud. You must carry the original card.

Have some copies notarized and keep them in a safe place in your house. The copies must be

actual size not enlargements.

You are supposed to carry it and an attorney from immigration told me foreigners need to carry them.

With that said I will never carry mine as if you lose it then replacement takes weeks not to mention a MP report and spending thousands of pesos. Being here illegally is not a crime and you are never asked for the document so I made certified copies and will carry them as the odds of an immigration officer stopping me are slim and I was stopped in the Tijuana airport and presented a certified copy and they were fine with that, the risk is slim.

Your own copies will not work, only copies certified from a notary are accepted in lieu of the original document, 50 pesos a copy is cheap.

I carry a laminated color copy of my visa instead of the original. I wrote COPIA over it before having it laminated. I doubt even any of the local yokels will accuse me of trying to pass it off as an original.

If I go somewhere exotic, like an airport or a government office, I bring the original.

P.S. Congrats on the Permanente Visa. How long did it take after you got the "at the printers in Mexico City" message?

HI Travis,

We submitted the initial paperwork in Chapala on March 15th and then went into Guadalajara on April 25th to be fingerprinted and then the lady said come back in 20 days so we waited 25 and returned today and got it.

Okay, okay. I'll quit carrying around my stupid "COPIA" - covered copy then. I'll get a certified copy and carry it.....as long as it fits in my wallet.

(Thanks for your post Hensley. I think I'm one of the lucky ones, also, who is on the semi-fast, efficient track. Applied April 4, and fingerprinted last week. All through the Guadalajara office. A couple days ago the INM website was updated to the "in the process of being printed in México" thing.)

EDIT/P.S.: Sorry, I deleted stuff because I wandered into the Permanente application process. Back to the question of the thread: Should you or need you carry your original Residente Permanente Visa with you at all times, even if you have other official documentation like a Jalisco Driver's License?

FYI: I just checked and found out that Notario #2 near the Modelo corner's office will give you certified copies of your papers for 50 pesos.

Our FM2 cards, which expire at the end of June, have to be turned into the facilitators office before the Permanente papers will arrive (turned in next week) and we'd like to have some sort of identification in the meantime. Spencer's office said it could take months before the Permanente cards arrive.

Archived