Chapala.com Webboard

No more couting of prior FM2 or FM3 time for permanente

Well the flip flop is back and we were informed that immigration is now not allowing people to count prior years. We will verify this but apparently is the new local policy and they will count prior years if you are FM2 inmigrante asimilado. I will post a clarification once I can confirm with Guadalajara.

I think that Spencer means you cannot count previous years on earlier visas; only the years on your current visa. You certainly don not have an FM3. What you have is a No Inmigrante visa and you state that you have 4 years on it. If that is the case, you can, and must, change to Residente Permanente at renewal time. The only other option would be to leave the country and start all over again by appling for Residente Tempolral at a Mexican consulate nearest your US address, if you have one. If not, you would probably have to establish one.

There are no guarantees the process, rules and policies will be the same next month let alone in a year, two or three. You have to do what you can with the information available at the time you must make the decision.

Appears to be local policy as we asked today in Guadalajara and was told they will count prior years.

We present papers in Guadalajara as well as I have an office there so if Guadalajara will honor the prior years then we will submit there.

I think that Spencer means you cannot count previous years on earlier visas; only the years on your current visa. You certainly don not have an FM3. What you have is a No Inmigrante visa and you state that you have 4 years on it. If that is the case, you can, and must, change to Residente Permanente at renewal time. The only other option would be to leave the country and start all over again by appling for Residente Tempolral at a Mexican consulate nearest your US address, if you have one. If not, you would probably have to establish one.

We have a No Inmigrante with Prorroga 3 on the back and "El extranejero. No inmigrante reside temporalmente en Mexico" followed in English by "The owner of this document is a temporary resident of Mexico".

The "Prorroga 3" indicates that our visa has been renewed for 3 years, thus meaning we have been here 4 years.

Some months ago, the head of the Chapala Immigration Office stated at a public meeting at Lake Chapala Society that anyone with a "Prorroga 3" on their card could apply for Permanente status without having to meet the financial requirements.

Is Spencer now saying that the Chapala office has changed the rules and that our "Prorroga 3" is no longer going to be accepted as evidence of meeting the 4 year requirement to switch to Permanente?

If so, can we just apply in Guadalajara (where the rules are aparently unchanged) and proceed on the basis that they will accept that we have been here for 4 years and permit us to switch to Permanente, without having to provide financial information?

If not, what are our options?

The flip flop only is for people who have no number on the back or a 1 or 2 and want to go permanente without financials.

So we have a 1 and are getting ready to renew next month. We are doing 2 years. So will the Chapala office grant us peramente in 2015 with out financials as it stands now.

So we have a 1 and are getting ready to renew next month. We are doing 2 years. So will the Chapala office grant us peramente in 2015 with out financials as it stands now.

Yes, if they stay with current policy

Archived