Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican Cheeses

ComputerGuy

I think that is is because the answer to my question about a Mexican version of sharp cheddar is that there is none. How ironic that in a country where everything is so spicy their cheese is so bland.

I agree with you completely. It must take an exceptional sense of taste to differentiate between them. I find them all, bland, tasteless, unremarkable and similar and have stopped buying Mexican cheeses.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a site that specializes in Mexican Cheeses, along with a link to their Facebook page. I found out about them when we were getting ready to move here.

http://lactography.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Lactography

I agree with you completely. It must take an exceptional sense of taste to differentiate between them. I find them all, bland, tasteless, unremarkable and similar and have stopped buying Mexican cheeses.

That's too bad. I delight in both the subtle and not-so-subtle differences. Cotija can be amazing crumbled on a salad, especially when it is left to get saltier as it dries. And melted panela from the frypan? Zounds. What is called "gouda" here makes a good substitute for mozz on a pizza.

Try this with panela for your next party: Heat the oven to 180ºC. Put a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in an 8" square Pyrex pan, along with the juice of half a limón. Place a whole panela cheese, about a half kilo, onto the puddle of oil/juice. With a chopstick, poke holes all the way through the cheese, all over the top of the panela. Pour another 2 Tbsp olive oil over the cheese, getting as much as you can into the holes. Sprinkle with crushed dried oregano and sea salt. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve with tostadas and drinks (have you tried Salmas?) as an appetizer. Serves six.

A very nice salad is a slice of chilled watermelon (usually pressed, but making it easy for you), sprinkled with a bit of sugar, a little cherry balsamic, topped with cubes of mango, mache or baby lettuce, sprouts and salty cotija with a drizzle of olive oil. Very refreshing with a nice salty/sour/sweet contrast.

Mexican cheeses have their uses even though they can't compare with the complex flavours of European, Quebec or English cheeses. No one here has mentioned adobera, which is a good melting cheese (pizza, quesadillas) and actually has some flavour. Also, I prefer requesón to the bland ricotta that can be bought at Costco and will try Liana's idea of using it in lasagna.

• 2 weeks later...

We also grow our own on occasion, always on sphagnum; it takes a bit of watching to be sure to pick it before it expires suddenly. Otherwise I don't think it's available here ready-grown so you need to bring seeds. For the recipe I usually use other microgreens or sprouts - still on topic for the cotija!

some years ago superlake had white mozzarella. they had to cut it, as it was in a big loaf. they also had yellow which is not the better quality. they stopped getting the white (maybe the other as well). they directed me to to the packaged section. which one is the best quality? this is the only cheese i can eat, grilled. one of the small packages says it has "vingear" (??) is this in all moz cheese?

Never heard of vinegar in mozz. For best type, your best bet is to test them all. I'm sure my taste is different than yours. But it's safe to assume that imported mozz is going to better when you get it at a place like SuperLake. There used to be a cheese shop, not that long ago, in Riberas beside Dr. Pinto, and I was excited to find large knobs of Mexican mozz there... I bought some and was disappointed. I now get mine shredded, from Costco.

byw, i did see mex mozorella @ the market between colon & juarez. it was packaged & a bit yellow. yes best to stay w/superlake. the problem w/ all cheese is there is so much salt!

Archived