Chapala.com Webboard

Question to INM

Can a husband apply for permanent residency from a FM3 for his wife. What do facilitators do? Would he need to have a power of attorney from her.

They have to come to Mexico just for that and then wait at least 2 months before everything is ready. When it's time to go for prints, then the wife would come over. But what about the application?

If no one knows the answer, would any one have a phone number for Chapala INM? It would save me a trip over to get the answer.

Thanks

There is no phone #. Call a law office or facilitator. They don't have time to tell you how to do what is on their web site. http://www.inm.gob.mx/

Colibri-- I suspect that if a facilitator can act on behalf of his client, a husband can do the same for his wife.

Just in case, his wife should write an authorization for him to do so--in Spanish--and the application should be accepted. The lady at the office would answer that question, I'm sure.

Thank you both for your reply. I guess not too many people know about this.

I don't want to give my friends the wrong answer, so I better drive to Chapala tomorrow and find out. It would be good if only one would have to fly over to apply.

I think you will find that both will have to be in Mexico to sign the applications and, at the end, to be fingerprinted. On the application you will find that you can sign authorization for another person to do some of the paperwork and footwork, as a facilitator, for example.

If you have no-inmigrante cards, you have to turn them in with the application. Tnen, you would have to have an emergency letter to be outside of Mexico for a maximum of 60 days.

That is my understanding. The OP sounds like his friends want to be tourists, yet have permanent residency.

We will apply next week and have not been out of Mexico for years. If it takes a few months to process, we could care less; we are not going anywhere.

I think yu will find that both will have to be in Mexico to sign the applications and, at the end, to be fingerprinted. On the application you will find that you can sign authorization for another person to do some of the paperwork and footwork, as a facilitator, for example.

If you have no-inmigrante cards, you have to turn them in with the application. Tnen, you would have to have an emergency letter to be outside of Mexico for a maximum of 60 days.

That is my understanding. The OP sounds like his friends want to be tourists, yet have permanent residency.

We will apply next week and have not been out of Mexico for years. If it takes a few months to process, we could care less; we are not going anywhere.

Thank you for helping me sort this out.

My friends have a FM3 with a 2 in the back. But they want to apply for permanent residency (financial is no problem). They are in the US right now for health reasons but have a house here.

Their FM3 will expire in June so he would come down to apply for both of them. My question is: can he do it for her (the first stage). I know that they both have to be here for fingerprints, etc. But can the primary application be done by someone else. If yes, would he need a power of attorney from her. He would leave for 2 months or until INM says that the paperwork is ready, then they would both return to complete the application with fingerprints and payments.

They just want to avoid to both come for the application.

I'd like to help them with this.

I think they will both have to be here to apply, but Spencer (Intercasa) can answer that question better than I.

While in process (tramite), one cannot leave Mexico and be away for more than 60 days. Permission is required.

At present, there are no guarantees of anything getting done as quickly as in the past. Not even close. SNAFU.

Note: I assume you mean No Inmigrante visa cards; not the old FM3 booklets.

If being here is inconvenient, perhaps it would be possible for them to cancel their current visas at the Mexican consulate nearest their home. Then, they could provide financial information and apply for new visas, of any currently available status, at a time when it would be convenient for them to come back to Mexico and stay a while; like permanently.

They both need to be here, there might be some ways to do it but the best way is to have them both come down and do the renewal, see if someone can pull a rabbit out of a hat and get them fingerprinted in record time and then get a travel letter to go back and fedex them the new cards. I have done that scenario, anything else will require 2 trips or could case problems.

Thank you guys. The suggestion of applying at the consulate would not really save them a trip. They still have to come over, present their application and wait to be called for fingerprints. At least that's one point clarified.

Now, I just thought about something else that I did not discuss with them yet. They used to come here six months a year with their own truck. If they apply for permanent residency, they cannot come over with their vehicle. They will have to face another problem . . . Right?

Wow, are they in for a shock.

True. They will have to buy a Mexican vehicle. But, it still appears that they are not really candidates for Residente Permanente, but just want to be done with INM; and I cannot blame them. However, if they are not really permanent residents, they might benefit from staying temporary residents, even if they have to make a cancellation and re-application to get their annual renewals to a more convenient date, when they will always be in Mexico.

When you first apply, you can have someone representing you. On her application form, his wife would have to fill out to bottom part "add the name of the person representing her" to give her husband the authorization. She would have to give him all the necessary documentation: her INM card, passport, application letter.

En su caso, persona autorizada para tramitar, oír o recibir notificaciones - Si usted quiere agregar personas autorizadas es necesario que lo efectúe con el botón 'Agregar persona'

Do they have a particular reason why they want to apply for permanent residency at this time? RVGringro has a very good point.

They have their house for sale here and want to benefit from the tax exemption. Also, their non-inmigrante visa is due in June so they still have to apply for renewal as temporary resident anyway. At the moment, the only advantage would be that, as temporary, he can drive here with his truck and, before he leaves again, buy a car for next year when they would apply for permanent residency.

So, with your information Seewee, I understand that he can come over alone, present their applications, ask for permission to leave and wait until their papers are ready (they will check online) and then they both return for fingerprints. And they would still have to wait and allow some time to receive their card.

I will explain to them the best I can. Of course, that will be their decision.

Thank you RV and Seewee.

I'm not sure why you are not listening to Intercasa's advice, stating that both people need to be here. Perhaps you are just looking for the answer that you want, not the correct answer?

I have to agree with RV about why they want to go permanente when they don't live here permanently. I personally do not think that just because someone owns a house here, that they should be allowed to go permanente unless this is their primary place they live. Permanently. Simply having the financials to do so and be done with immigration, without the intent to live here permanently is kind of sketchy, in my opinion.

I'm not sure why you are not listening to Intercasa's advice, stating that both people need to be here. Perhaps you are just looking for the answer that you want, not the correct answer?

I have to agree with RV about why they want to go permanente when they don't live here permanently. I personally do not think that just because someone owns a house here, that they should be allowed to go permanente unless this is their primary place they live. Permanently. Simply having the financials to do so and be done with immigration, without the intent to live here permanently is kind of sketchy, in my opinion.

For the time being, the Notarios in the area agreed to allow permanentes, who can demonstrate that they have been living in their home (by a CFE bill in their name) can qualify for the tax exemption. You know, they can change that at any time. It is up to the Notarios, so people should not count on that. It is meant for people who live here permanently and where the house is the primary res. and you can only do this once every five years. Correct me if I am wrong, but that is my understanding.

So, that is why some people are rushing to become permanentes, where they have plans to return NOB or are currently snowbirds.

In my opinion, I think the Notarios have way too much power in deciding what to do. They are supposed to be responsible to make sure the correct taxes are paid, and they know that many of the amounts on the sales documents are phony. Then later, they watch their clients suffer the consequences. There are many snowbirds taking advantage of this tax exemption, that is meant for full time residents. How long do you think that loop hole will exist?

(Not judging those who are using the exemption.... I would do the same thing if I could qualify. Get the permanente as soon as possible if you want to sell)

What makes you think Intercasa has the RIGHT answer when, online, the form application says that we can name a representative to apply for us? Seewee gave me the RIGHT answer and pointed where to look to do it. It was right in our face, at the bottom of the application form. Did Intercasa know that? If he did, he kept it for himself.

May be Intercasa did not UNDERSTAND the question: answering that we have to be here for fingerprints, that was not my question, and I even mentioned that I knew that already. Also, saying that “there might be some ways to do it” is rather an ambiguous answer.

Perhaps Intercasa is just giving the answer that he wants, not the correct answer? Have you thought of that?

As to the second part of your remark, it is none of my business what they do and why. If they take advantage of a loop hole in the law, it is not up to me or you to judge them or determine what is allowed or not allowed..And that was not my question either.

You need to turn in your original FM to renew and if you are here that can cause problems as how will you enter to fingerprint without your FM?

You need to turn in your original FM to renew and if you are here that can cause problems as how will you enter to fingerprint without your FM?

They intended to leave with authorization (apply for that visa) and return for fingerprint. But again, now, I am wondering if she is not present to leave, and then returns without having shown and stamped that she left . . . Grrrr! I will just tell them to inquire at the Mexican consulate. I don't want to gear them wrong. It's getting too complicated as you say.

Bottom line: They have to be here and they have to wait out the process, however long it takes. Permanent residents should not have a problem with that.

Again, I suggest that they consider the other options, rather than trying to work the system, then probably leave anyway.

Frankly, a lot of folks, who really are permanent residents, find it a bitter pill to swallow that new folks with money can now buy themselves permanent residency without having yet stepped in Mexico, while old-timers may have to become Residente Permanente, even if they do not want to do so. But that is another topic.

Frankly, a lot of folks, who really are permanent residents, find it a bitter pill to swallow that new folks with money can now buy themselves permanent residency without having yet stepped in Mexico, while old-timers may have to become Residente Permanente, even if they do not want to do so. But that is another topic.

I don't think this is applying to them. They have been renewing their non-inmigrante visa for 8 years. It is just now, because of health reason, they are in the US. But they want to come back when they can, probably in the fall. Right now, is just a bad time to renew for them, but they have to before June. . . that's all.

I think that I mentioned before that they could remain up north and allow their present INM documents to expire, or cancel them, probably pay a fine, then apply at a consulate for new documents at a convenient time. That would give them a window of time after returning to Mexico to finalize the process, which they would have to wait out in Mexico. Once those new documents were in hand, they could come and go at will.

Sorry that a health issue is involved, but I doubt that INM would deal with such special circumstances.

I think that I mentioned before that they could remain up north and allow their present INM documents to expire, or cancel them, probably pay a fine, then apply at a consulate for new documents at a convenient time. That would give them a window of time after returning to Mexico to finalize the process, which they would have to wait out in Mexico. Once those new documents were in hand, they could come and go at will.

Sorry that a health issue is involved, but I doubt that INM would deal with such special circumstances.

Thank you so much RV for your concern and suggestion.

I have just talked to them, and they will fly to Mexico for the application and ask permission to leave. She will fly back and he will drive his truck out of Mexico after buying a used car here. That is the situation right now. It might change depending on how she feels. I mentioned your other option.

Be aware that cancellation or allowing the document to expire (expiration also has extra fees, fines and time as a hearing is required) would require proving income again, something to keep in mind if that is an issue.

Be aware that cancellation or allowing the document to expire (expiration also has extra fees, fines and time as a hearing is required) would require proving income again, something to keep in mind if that is an issue.

Thank you for the warning. Financial is not an issue; nevertheless they would not want to pay the fine, so it would be wise not letting it expire if they can. That is the reason they absolutely wanted to do it now. Sometimes the worst is not being able to decide because you don't know what all the options are. They will sleep better tonight now that they have made their decision.

This forum has helped me and my friends in many ways.

Thanks everyone.

Archived