Chapala.com Webboard

Article 106-tying TIP to your current visa

I have done a search for the above and have also gone to Spencer's web site and Rolly's also. I am driving to the states 5/24 (yup,to sell my Japanese foreign plated car) and want to have a copy of Article 106 which basically says that my TIP is current as long as my visa is. I brought me car down in 2008.

Many thanks in advance.

Why not print the page from the Aduana temporary vehicle importation manual? 106 is old news and not convincing anymore. Latest revision of aduana manual is August 2012.

a copy of Article 106

I'm not sure why Rolly et al have removed Article 106 from their websites (Rolly?), but maybe it is because there is so much confusion with the Immigration thingy that they did not want to be 'advising' folks whose circumstances might not still fit the Article.

Any any respect, here is the Spanish version of it followed by an English 'interpretation':

Also, I have sent you a PM......

Artículo 106

Se entiende por régimen de importación temporal, la entrada al país de mercancías para permanecer en él por tiempo limitado y con una finalidad específica, siempre que retornen al extranjero en el mismo estado, por los siguientes plazos:

IV. Por el plazo que dure su calidad migratoria, incluyendo sus prórrogas, en los siguientes casos:

a) Las de vehículos propiedad de extranjeros que se internen al país con calidad de inmigrantes rentistas o de no inmigrantes, excepto tratándose de refugiados y asilados políticos, siempre que se trate de un solo vehículo.

Los vehículos que importen turistas y visitantes locales, incluso que no sean de su propiedad y se trate de un solo vehículo.

Los vehículos podrán ser conducidos en territorio nacional por el importador, su cónyuge, sus ascendientes, descendientes o hermanos, aun cuando éstos no sean extranjeros, por un extranjero que tenga alguna de las calidades migratorias a que se refiere este inciso, o por un nacional, siempre que en este último caso, viaje a bordo del mismo cualquiera de las personas autorizadas para conducir el vehículo y podrán efectuar entradas y salidas múltiples.

Los vehículos a que se refiere este inciso, deberán cumplir con los requisitos que señale el Reglamento.

Administracion General de Aduanas

Administracion Central de Planeacion Aduanera

Av. Hidalgo No. 77, Modulo IV, primer piso

Col. Guerrero, Delegacion Cuauhtemoc

Codigo Postal 06300, Mexico, D.F.

Article 106

SECTION IV. For the period which coincides with the period granted for the immigration category of the owner, including any extensions.

a) The vehicle owned by foreigners who enter the country as inmigrantes rentistas or no inmigrantes, except in the case of refugees and asylum seekers, provided that it is a single vehicle.

The vehicles can be driven in Mexico by the importer, his or her spouse, their parents and grandparents, etc, their decedents, their brothers or sisters, even when those relatives are not foreigners [But those relatives will need to carry documentation proving the relationship and that you have an FM3/2], or by a foreigner who has the same immigration category as one of those herein referenced [inmigrantes rentistas or inmigrantes], or by a Mexican citizen, provided in this latter case, that a person authorized to drive the vehicle is within the vehicle. Such vehicle is authorized to make multiple exits and returns from and to Mexico.

Vehicles referred to in this section must meet the requirements pointed out in the regulations.

Is 106 a Rule or a Law? In the U.S., and I'm sure it is true in Canada also, law enforcement enforces laws, not agency rules. If 106 is a law and an agency rule has changed, the law is all that law enforcement can consider if Mexico is similar to its Northern neighbors and I've noticed that it is.

106 is old news and not convincing anymore.

Spencer, that is a bit confusing. Article 106 is a law and I have not heard here on the boards that this law has changed. Are you just saying that, like many things in Mexico, laws are not always followed and some 'authorities' are getting tired of having this 'shoved' in their faces?

Why not print the page from the Aduana temporary vehicle importation manual? 106 is old news and not convincing anymore. Latest revision of aduana manual is August 2012.

Thanks Spencer,

I have done so many searches online that I don't know where to go now.

Gracias para su ayuda.

The manual is a more detailed explanation of it as many just copy and paste 106 and the cops aren't impressed where as a printout of the 3 or 4 pertinent pages of the manual works wonders, FWIW

10, 23, 24 and 26 for most people but not residente permanentes as they should not be driving foreign plated vehicles

I have been in the process for a week know. I went to the border tip removed and my car made Mexican and now in the process to plate my car and I have made my appointment in Tonala for plates on 5-30. I have the big BLUE sticker on my car showing my car is Mex. Do I need to take off my old plates now or when I get my new Mex. plates on May 30

Better to leave on old plates as no plates will get you pulled over. I will print you out the federal decree that lets you drive for 30 days after the date of your pedimento without plates.

10, 23, 24 and 26 for most people but not residente permanentes as they should not be driving foreign plated vehicles

I am still very confused when you say "residente permanentes should not be driving foreign plated vehicles". If my wife is residente temporal and has her own car in her name with the TIP in her name do you mean that I can not drive her car? I sure hope that is not the case.

Spouses, parents and children and brothers / sisters of the importer who are Mexican or permanente may still drive the vehicle without the importer present.

Spouses, parents and children and brothers / sisters of the importer who are Mexican or permanente may still drive the vehicle without the importer present.

Maybe that is a solution for us. We both went Permanente. Can one of us switch back to Temporal?

Maybe that is a solution for us. We both went Permanente. Can one of us switch back to Temporal?

Think about it..... you have permission to work and never have to renew again and you will give this up for... a Rolls Royce? Ferrari? or an 8 year old Nissan?

That is what I hoped you would say! Although we both got FM3's at the same time and always had the same renewal date somehow mine got screwed up and I was due a month before my wife. Not only that mine had a 4 on the back and my wife had a 2. Thus our plan---I went Permanente and she renewed for one more year as Temporal. All legal as far as I know and Spencer seems to agree. Great to have a guy like him in you corner!

Think about it..... you have permission to work and never have to renew again and you will give this up for... a Rolls Royce? Ferrari? or an 8 year old Nissan?

I don't want to work. The rules could change again and Permanente could be forced to renew annually or whatever.

I don't want to work. The rules could change again and Permanente could be forced to renew annually or whatever.

Mercy me! Why can´t we all be optimists. I am sure that once we are permanente we will be that way until we give it up or die.

What has happened to the Immigrados since the law changed? Did they have to redo their paper work, or get new cards? NO!

Mercy me! Why can´t we all be optimists. I am sure that once we are permanente we will be that way until we give it up or die.

What has happened to the Immigrados since the law changed? Did they have to redo their paper work, or get new cards? NO!

How can you be sure are you some kind of seer? Be realistic and be prepared.

"Cancellation of temporary resident status or permanent.

◾ For final departure from the country;

◾ overseas release of another condition of stay;

◾ Providing false or exhibit to the official documentation Institute

apocryphal or legitimate but has been obtained fraudulently;

◾ abroad lose its status stay for other reasons established

in the Act;

◾ abroad lose recognition of their refugee status or protection

complementary, in accordance with the legal provisions that are

applicable, and

◾ Be subject to criminal prosecution or conviction for felony under

to national criminal law or the provisions of

international treaties and conventions to which it is part Mexican State

or whose antecedents in the country or abroad could jeopardize

national security or public safety."

http://visasmex.com/Esp/documentos_migratorios/residentes.html

You might not want to cancel it but IT can be canceled. It appears you must live in Mexico most or at least part of the time and keep your nose clean.

"Cancellation of temporary resident status or permanent.

◾ For final departure from the country;

◾ overseas release of another condition of stay;

◾ Providing false or exhibit to the official documentation Institute

apocryphal or legitimate but has been obtained fraudulently;

◾ abroad lose its status stay for other reasons established

in the Act;

◾ abroad lose recognition of their refugee status or protection

complementary, in accordance with the legal provisions that are

applicable, and

◾ Be subject to criminal prosecution or conviction for felony under

to national criminal law or the provisions of

international treaties and conventions to which it is part Mexican State

or whose antecedents in the country or abroad could jeopardize

national security or public safety."

http://visasmex.com/Esp/documentos_migratorios/residentes.html

You might not want to cancel it but IT can be canceled. It appears you must live in Mexico most or at least part of the time and keep your nose clean.

Just the fact that with a Residente Permanente status you still have to notify your INM office of changes of address, change of marital status etc. seems to me they require you to live in Mexico and not receive a RP card and live in another country if they find out you can lose it.

Obligations with a RP or RT:

"liabilities"

◾ Enroll in the National Registry of Foreigners.

◾ Inform the Institute of any change in their immigration status within

ninety days after such changes occurs:

a) civil status, [married, widowed or divorced]

b} Nationality;

c) Address;

d) Workplace

I would not be surprised to discover, at some point, they put some kind of limitation on how long you can be away from Mexico and maintain your permenente status. The US it is six months, without applying for a special leave (up to two years I think). Canada also has limitations. I will not be surprised if that happens and can accept it

I had a permenent Green Card, in the US. Obtained in the 80s. It had no expire date. Later Green Cards did have an expire date and you had to renew. So.... Mexico is not being crazy with their immigration laws. The US and Canada change their laws as well and drive people nuts with waiting and waiting for visas and permits. Not exclusive to this governement.

Its just that Mexico really sucks on managing change and implementing the rules and regulations in a consistant manner. I don't think they are going to make people re-apply for permanente, but they could change to one where you have to renew every five or ten years. So what? Deal with it when it happens, if ever.

Archived