Chapala.com Webboard

No driver's license, no Permanente

A friend is in the process of becoming Permanente. Went to get a renewed driver's license, and was told he needed an original copy of his status. It may take several more months to get that. They could offer no support: no letter indicating that this is an interim situation; no nothing except: try not to get caught driving without a license, and if you do, maybe you can talk your way out of it.

Don't you just need to give them a copy of your current visa? It is still in force even though they have the original. Did your friend not make copies before turning it in?

This mess just keeps getting worse and worse. I submitted for Permanente two months ago, not a word of progress.

Don't you just need to give them a copy of your current visa? It is still in force even though they have the original. Did your friend not make copies before turning it in?

They want the original. He has all the proper paperwork, copies of everything. Not good enough, they said.

Well, I'm going to be in the same place shortly as they took my still current FM3. I have color copies of it. Went to a lot of trouble to get that Jalisco DL, am going to be royally ticked off if this INM mess costs me that license because I can't renew it.

There was a lot of talk at one point about having various papers notarized; I wonder if that would have helped here...

... and I think you'll have to pay all over again for a new license instead of a renewal...

have a friend in same situation -- turned papers in in NOVEMBER

They applied for a visa in November and still waiting? I hope they are getting some help with this

Many people have had forged licenses from local sources, for a fee. That is a serious offense if you are caught; and you will be when you try to renew it, or are stopped for a traffic violation.

The problem we are discussing involves renewals. Getting a new one is no sweat: the exam is translated into English, they always have someone to help, and while it is more now than the $300 pesos last time, I can't imagine how paying anybody off would be worth it. My Mom did it on her own at the age of 80, with no help from me.

Alberto is back; he was 'directing' traffic at the tianguis last week.

Well I would think that if they require to see the original visa for a renewal they are wanting to see it for a new license as well. So if you're caught in the INM Permanente trap, you can't go get a new license either.

And, as noted earlier, unless you had the foresight to go and get certified copies of your visa before you handed it in, you are out of luck.

I would hope that all the facilitators, including Spencer, would be advising their Permanente clients about this. It would have been very easy for me to get a certified copy of my FM3 before I handed it over had I been advised that it would take months upon months to get the Permanente and that I would need those certified copies for any other government business.

Well I would think that if they require to see the original visa for a renewal they are wanting to see it for a new license as well. So if you're caught in the INM Permanente trap, you can't go get a new license either.

Very true. Now there has also been "unnoficial" talk about reporting the license lost or stolen, in which case the en tramité papers would be okay. But oh, the hassles.

If you are already an owner of a legal driver's license, and the government is not intelligent enough to cover you while your visa papers are legally in process, I don't see how reporting it lost is anything to be worried about. It's just working the system.

The one we have been waiting for since November arrived today. Has your friend been fingerprinted yet? Does she have Mexican plates? If so, I would keep a copy of the paid receipt in the car, the letter from immigration showing it is in process, and a printout of the status off the computer. It won't help you with the driver's license but the police might accept it if you get stopped.

The same way the transitos and motorcycle cop "work the system" ?

No, not at all the same, because now you are saying I'm taking or offering bribes, or shaking somebody down. Apples and oranges. I don't see the problem. In this case, the government has not done its job. If this is out of your range of acceptability, that's fine by me. When you have your car towed because you can't get a license you already legally own, perhaps you'll change your tune.

However, the latest news I have is that, according to their own website, transito does state that you can get a letter for $300 pesos at Immigration. We will find out next week if this is so. This is in direct opposition to what my friend was told repeatedly at the transito location. So now we are adding laziness and/or stupidity on the part of an official.

When your application is accepted by INM, they provid a sheet with your specific information and access to the website, with a password, so that you can follow progress. It is that document that you can carry, in lieu of your actual visa, to indicate that the visa is en tramite. You may travel withing Mexico, but not exit with that document.

Where do you get a certified copy of your FM2 before you have to turn it in and before it has actually expired? Would like to have SOMETHING to carry around.

I think you mean a notarized copy. You get them for 50 pesos at a notary. If you don't know where a notary is I have a list of them.

Archived