Chapala.com Webboard

Time for the annual "first significant rain" contest

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK folks, let's see who is this year's best rainy season prognosticator. Guess what day we will receive the first significant rainfall, 1/2 inch or more, as measured at Steve's weather station in Riberas.

And the prize is ...................

a drizzle? or a "real" rain? if i win, can i exchange my prize? i rather have a cup of coffee. real rain: june 6th- june 10th? get back to later.

As a Newbie, does "can't be too soon for me" count?

Otherwise the Sages of Chapala Longevity which whom I have had a seance, suggest June 12th.

Per chance do they really know something?

Psssst! June 13th, 5:30 PM. Just 25 days away.

The house is holding at 75F if we keep it open at night and closed in the daytime, but we note the rising humidity.

Well, MC started the subject with 1/2" or more and that's quite a bit, especially in the early stages, let's agree to maybe downgrade it a bit. Rain gauges typically need at least .01" to register and that's surprisingly more than you might imagine. So, MC, how about a bit less for the first "official" rainfall? - not that I'm against a half inch at all, but to kick off our annual "naked in the streets rain dance" we need to be realistic and for those newbees, yes, we do celebrate in the streets - really!

Nope, my thread giltner, my rules. Half inch total during the day named, doesn't matter what time it falls or if there is more than one rain in the 24 hour period of that day.

We can easily get an inch or more in one rain, let alone one day, in June. However, at least while we've been here, the first biggie tends to come in the middle of the night.

The person who specifies the closest time of day by when the total is hit, wins over everyone else who called the same day. :)

Now, the list in order of dates:

Updated as of today May 25

ShanConshu, May 21

KathyTX, May 25

Mainecoons, May 28

Osuespirit, May 29

Tom L, May 31

Travis, Jrod, June 1

Golden bead, June 2

El Bajio, June 3

Lakeside101, Maryanram, Gringal June 4

Catinmex, June 5

Bennie, June 6

Thevalerieleigh, June 7

Islander, La Aurora, June 8

Solajijic, June 9

Nopalesflower, June 10

Irish gal, Suz, Ajijicdiva June 11

El Saltos, FHBOY, June 12

Datura, Cedros, RVGringo, June 13

BobK, Liquipure, Herman Santiago, jrm30655, BarbNapa, Luisa, June 14

Big Dog Grunt Daddy, June 15

Musicdoc, June 16

Ruidoso, June 29

You're seeing the "practice" clouds, they begin this time of year and normally are huge white puffy ones along the S shore and they tease, but the rain won't start until mid June, and even then we'll often see obvious rain along the S shore that never comes here. The typical season sees clouds with lightening about bed time and they come from almost due E and bring us rain about 4am. If they're a bit S they go to Michoacan or a bit N they split and go to Guad or areas N, and that's not all bad, that's in our runoff plain so there's a chance we might get some of it.

The rains that normally come from the E seem to build and the further W the more you get.

I've noticed that the rains start up in Mazamitla a couple weeks earlier from those south shore clouds. More than once, have driven up there in early June and when you start up the hill, everything is brown and you start to see green a few minutes before you get there.

We've got some nice practice clouds along the southern horizon this afternoon. And, wowza, it is hot!

"Naked in the Streets Dance"???? Horrors.

:wacko: A bunch of out of shape men....ugh!

As to women...well I love my life too much to comment. :ph34r:

Now if we were all still 22 years old - that could be interesting.

Problem is that is the age of some of our grandchildren. :lol:

Have no fear; nobody will be allowed to participate in the Naked in the Street Dance without 1/2 inch, or more, after it has dropped :018: . Just quoting .......

Archived