Chapala.com Webboard

Meeting with SAT (Tax agency jefe) re Foreign plated cars

I think that NAFTA prohibits specific restrictions on US or Canadian cars. However, I am not sure that it has anything to do with other sources. After all, vehicles from many countries are imported and sold in Mexico, includint our French/German Smart, which we purchased in Guadalajara. There must be a way!

May 17, 2013

At 2:30 PM my wife called Aduana 01-472-103-5400 ext 61356 and spoke with Lic. Irma Carolina Gonzalez. My wife asked, in Spanish regarding a Permanent Resident who has a foreign plated car and she said the car is legal. She stated, only when their is an official change of law posted in the Diario Official de la Federacion (DOF) and then on Aduana's web site will anything be different. Again she directed all with a concern to their web site and to print out the page.

The issue was clearly stated to ensure no misunderstanding. A Permanent Resident can have a foreign plated vehicle at this time.

This is the third call over a period of 6 weeks and each time talking with a different person and always same answer.

http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/vehiculos/141_11213.html

Congrats Chapala Charlie.

If you are willing to share some information:

1. What aduana (city) did you use?

2. What were the fees (custom agent and import fee and any other)?

3. Was there a time restriction for when you had to start the plating process in Jalisco? Ex. Do they give you thirty days to get it plated or 90 days on the pedimento?

4. From start to finish, how many days did it take to import the car? Did you stay back in the U.S. side while waiting for the process to complete or did you stay on the Mex side?

5. Can you share the customs agent's name and contact information?

Thanks.

Ajijic- I have called Aduana in Mexico City twice and was told unequivocally both times that my vehicle was illegal under permanente status and that I should not drive it until I get a Returno Seguro to remove it from the country. The webpage you refer to states that the TIP is only legal as long as the immigration status is CONTINUOUS. That means that the one day immigration made us wait after our NoInmigrante cards expired before we could apply for permanente made our status non-continuous. The information you were given 3 times is contrary to the information posted by Aduana a couple of weeks ago.

Spencer, do you have any words on this?

Ajijic- I have called Aduana in Mexico City twice and was told unequivocally both times that my vehicle was illegal under permanente status and that I should not drive it until I get a Returno Seguro to remove it from the country. The webpage you refer to states that the TIP is only legal as long as the immigration status is CONTINUOUS. That means that the one day immigration made us wait after our NoInmigrante cards expired before we could apply for permanente made our status non-continuous. The information you were given 3 times is contrary to the information posted by Aduana a couple of weeks ago.

Spencer, do you have any words on this?

Kudo!!! Sorry, I'm not spencer, but it was an impulse because I was getting ready to reply to Ajijic.

Well looks like the Guadalajara SAT guy is flip flopping and will require foreigners to bring their car to Guadalajara for verification prior to issuing the Retorno Seguro same as the Zapopan office, they said they could send someone to Chapala but now they act like they never said that.

As the weeks go on we learn more about their ever changing guidelines.

Well looks like the Guadalajara SAT guy is flip flopping and will require foreigners to bring their car to Guadalajara for verification prior to issuing the Retorno Seguro same as the Zapopan office, they said they could send someone to Chapala but now they act like they never said that.

As the weeks go on we learn more about their ever changing guidelines.

Okay...... So, I have a foreign plated car but I can't drive it there for the inspection because I am permenente. Can I have a person who has a FM3 drive the car in for inspection? I guess there is no choice but to make the appointment and hope for the best.

I will be spending you email.

We submit application, get receipt and then set appointment to come into the city. I am going to fight with them again tomorrow and ask about their memory loss.

Noticed that the phone number Ajijic said they called is not in Mexico City. Aduana Central are the ones to ask the questions to. Wonder why are people bothering to talk to regional Aduana offices, and agents who apparently are saying whatever they feel like about this, whether it is correct or not.

Please see my update thread to add more info to this ever changing subject.

Archived