Chapala.com Webboard

IMSS Renewal while immigration is in process?

gracie

We need to renew out IMSS soon, and our immigration papers are still "in the process" Anyone done this with just the letter saying you are being processed...........any problems with IMSS??

Good question Gracie, I was wondering the same thing.

Hasn't been a problem as of yet.

Someone I know went down to obtain IMSS several months back and he didn't go through with it because IMSS told him they no longer attended to any kind of major treatments. Broken bones and runny noses was about the limit to their coverage. Maybe we (who have had IMSS for several years) are grandfathered in? The person at IMSS explained to him and his Mexican wife that there have been severe cutbacks with the IMSS coverage.

I sure need to check into that before paying in for another year.

The first year has always been very limited coverage. Second year, more; then, no restrictions in the third year.

Your friend may have missed that detail.

I don't think so....he was pretty well versed on IMSS and it's requirements before he went down there. In fact, he had lived here some 5-6 years before deciding to get IMSS and questioned lots of IMSS-gringos before doing so. According to what he was told, these were recent cutbacks and he decided it wasn't worth that. He did, however, know about paying in for 3-years before the maximum care kicked-in, but this sounded pretty definite to him. I have heard others speak on how IMSS is dwindling to nothing these days. Hope I'm wrong........

i would be surprised if IMSS allowed renewal without VISA - since the drivers license place won't except your receipt of "in process".

I have personally done it although it was 2 years ago, have renewed for clients in the same spot last year also no issue, FWIW

Archived