Chapala.com Webboard

Greek-style yogurt at WalMart

ComputerGuy

Picked up both World Table and Nestle estilo Griego mini-yogurts today at Walmart. World Table is WalMart's brand, and actually cost 2 pesos more than Nestle. Huh? In any case, nice to see a thicker pre-packaged yogurt available, although I'm reserving judgment on the quality and taste.

The Nestle is much smoother than the World Table, and the tastes are incredibly different in the strawberry. The World Table looks more like a standard cup of yogurt back in Canada, in the category of smoothness.

Not crazy about either, in the strawberry. Nestle was weird, like candy. WalMart was too fake. Tonight I am trying the plain Greek yogurt with some veg and shrimp.

Oh, well, at least it's thick and doesn't run off the dish...

I spent a lot of time in the Middle East, back before TV and Levis arrived, and there was no such thing as flavored yoghurt; certainly not artificially flavored. Yoghurt was always plain, local and delicious. Hardly a meal was served without it on the plate; under the bread, over the meat, as a dressing on vegetables, etc., etc. Oh for the days when we could have such a party for $3 with beer included. Great memories!

I just don't understand why Greek yogurt has become such an issue lately. In Greece yogurt is served as a desert topped with honey and nuts at special occasions such as weddings, etc. In 1971 yogurt was not a big "thing to eat". So when I lived in Greece, married to a Greek Army man, I did not eat the yogurt at the wedding gathering after the wedding. Fast forward to the present, I like yogurt but still don't get the big deal about the Greek yogurt. If any of you have Shaw, there are so many ads about Greek yogurt. I just don't get it.

I just purchased Del Cielo brand of Jocoque Fresco at Wal-Mart that was delicious. It is on top shelf on the back wall in the produce dept.in with the packages of cold cuts and cheeses hanging on pegs. It is much cheaper than the other brands of Jocoque and tastes like greek yogurt. Mix it with fresh raspberries and you'll have a great breakfast or dessert.

I just don't understand why Greek yogurt has become such an issue lately. In Greece yogurt is served as a desert topped with honey and nuts at special occasions such as weddings, etc. In 1971 yogurt was not a big "thing to eat". So when I lived in Greece, married to a Greek Army man, I did not eat the yogurt at the wedding gathering after the wedding. Fast forward to the present, I like yogurt but still don't get the big deal about the Greek yogurt. If any of you have Shaw, there are so many ads about Greek yogurt. I just don't get it.

Most folks who know this would agree with you. As RVG says, it's just a great marketing ploy. I have a copy of Life magazine from the 50's that is full of green-coloured ads for clorophyll-ized products. Later, lemon juice was added to everything as a cleanser. Then we got Tide with enzymes, and all the other laundry soaps followed (now it's soap-filled pods). Up North, my home town is full of fast-food joints selling wraps, purported to be healthier than other choices.

I really made the post for those who want Greek yogurt (yoghurt, yogourt) and have to wait until the local markets to get it. Although after trying these brands, they may still want to wait. I find that the basic types of yogurt up in Canada are thicker and tastier than these two new "Greek" types anyway.

Greek yoghurt is simply yoghurt that has had much of the water removed through straining to make it thicker in consistency. In the US and Canada it has a milk protein added, so that it has a much higher protein content than regular yoghurt.

In Mexico, Greek yoghurt is called Jocque (sp?) and was originated by those of Lebanese descent who settled in Mexico. Who knows, Carlos Slim's great grandfather? Anyway, the word is Nahuatl. Thank you wikipedia.

• 2 weeks later...

... In the US and Canada it has a milk protein added, so that it has a much higher protein content than regular yoghurt.

Not sure why you assume the brands and processes are the same in the two countries. The best yoghurt I've ever had, from Eastern Europe to the Americas, is Liberté's Méditerranée line, from Quebec. Their lemon yoghurt is to die for, thick, creamy and delicious. They don't use gelatins like here and their organic line has no added milk proteins.

We make our own yoghurt from imported cultures and when I'm lazy (too often) and let the cultures lapse, I drain the plain sugar-free yoghurt from Walmart or use it as a culture. It has an odd gooeyness that is weird. Jocoque is too sour to me.

If you do drain your yoghurt, don't throw out the whey - it's great for making fermented pickles and if you buy feta cheese, it keeps longer and with better flavour if in whey (which is what the Greeks do).

Greek yoghurt is simply yoghurt that has had much of the water removed through straining to make it thicker in consistency. In the US and Canada it has a milk protein added, so that it has a much higher protein content than regular yoghurt.

In Mexico, Greek yoghurt is called Jocque (sp?) and was originated by those of Lebanese descent who settled in Mexico. Who knows, Carlos Slim's great grandfather? Anyway, the word is Nahuatl. Thank you wikipedia.

Jocoque (correct spelling) is not at all like Greek yoghurt. Neither is it a Nahuatl word--the Nahuatl word is xococ (pronounced shoh-COKE). Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia.

Jocoque is similar to sour cream.

Archived