Chapala.com Webboard

Foreign plated vehicle, permanente visa, and insurance

cedros

So have any of you who have a Permanente visa and a foreign plated vehicle asked your insurance company what they think of the situation? Wondering if there are insurance problems until the situation is sorted out.

I'm about to put that exact question to our insurance agent. "Once I'm Permanente, apparently the vehicle becomes illegal. If the vehicle is illegal, does that make it uninsurable?"

I'm more concerned about the insurance issue than the rest.

I'm about to put that exact question to our insurance agent. "Once I'm Permanente, apparently the vehicle becomes illegal. If the vehicle is illegal, does that make it uninsurable?"

I'm more concerned about the insurance issue than the rest.

If you go that route, don't assume because the agent says it's OK that it is OK. Get the indemnification in writing. Insurance companies worldwide are notorious for finding loopholes to deny claims. Just my 2 cents worth.

I would need it in writing from the company that holds the policy , .the agent does not approve or deny claims. Believe me , just because they take your money and sell you a policy does not mean that they will pay your claim even if your circumstances have not changed since the policy was purchased,

The one time I made a claim they tried to deny it because my car was illegal ( TIP had expired) . It was up to me to prove that my car was legal because my INM status was current. They paid, but my car was legal.

Travis is right, they will look for those loopholes and this one is a no brainier. There is no way they are going to pay a claim on an illegal car.

Archived