Chapala.com Webboard

INM Changes

Ajijic

As of this week, in SMA, IF you have a 3 or 4 on the back of your visa, it can expire by up to 6 months without having to go Permanent and no penalty or fine. This will delay having to go Permanent and if new changes are coming allow those who do not want to go Permanent to do so.

I believe this ties in with Spencer's previous comments that for PR visas, changes may be coming.

Also, with a PR visa being so easy to obtain, compared to most any where in the world, one can work. I do not think Mexico wants a lot of people coming here and in effect buying the right to work and then competing in the job market. Here in SMA they have tightened up the ability to be a temporary resident and then have "lucrative" designation allowing one to work.

I believe the issue of cars and the uproar of their legality for Permanent Residents etc brought with it a review of how easy it has become to obtain Permanent Resident status. Before, obtaining Inmigrado status was mush more difficult. And, similarly, to gain the equivalent status in Canada or the US and most countries it is significantly harder to live permanently.

One can be pre-approved for a Permanent Resident visa without ever stepping foot in Mexico. And, at many consulates do so by proving investments, home ownership etc. The intent, until a point system was to be implemented was one had to prove purely pension income to become a PR. Pending changes helps to explain the lack of implementation of a point system. It also may explain why consulates are being directed to consider only proven pension incomes and not investments, etc.

As well, a person with a pre-approved PR visa, if you believed some posts, would enter Mexico with their car to get here and their car would be illegal as soon as they enter Mexico. Yet, Aduana gave them a car permit. Why would they give a car permit to a PR visa holder if the car is illegal?

I agree with Spencer's comments. A review is likely underway and changes coming to become a Permanent Resident. This also explains Aduana's lack of new laws regarding cars for those who are Permanent Residents. There are no assurances I am right but if you want to become a PR and can now, my advice is soon may be the time. I also believe, in Mexico new laws need to be posted 6 months or more before in effect so those affected may have time to make decisions.

We'd be delighted if we had the option of one of us remaining Temporal by renewing locally and being able to maintain the car permit. Solutions don't get much easier that that.

Mainecoons, Spencer is aware of this as we communicate often and is seeing if same there which likely will be. Talk to him as he may have answers.

"As well, a person with a pre-approved PR visa, if you believed some posts, would enter Mexico with their car to get here and their car would be illegal as soon as they enter Mexico. Yet, Aduana gave them a car permit. Why would they give a car permit to a PR visa holder if the car is illegal?"

This is not exactly true. When a Mexican Consulate preapproves someone for a Residente Permanente they attach a form/visa that is good for 6 months. You get your passport stamped at the border entering Mexico. They give you a 30 TIP so you can drive in with your stuff. You have 30 days from then to show up at your local INM office to finish the RP process. When your RP card is in hand you are then not allowed to have a TIP. You have to get a safe return and take your vehicle to the border and remove it or if it qualifies, nationalize it. The point being you are not a Residente Permanente when you enter Mexico only preapproved.

As recent as last week we met people with a pre-approved PR visa and a 6 moth visa. There is no consistency.

Plus, what a nightmare for those who did get a 30 day car permit. Most would have no clue what that limitation means.

Meanwhile, there are literally thousands of PR visa holders and many have foreign plated cars just as I do.

Previous post ...... IF you have a 3 or 4 on the back of your visa, it can expire by up to 6 months without having to go Permanent and no penalty or fine. This I believe will delay some having to become Permanent and with new changes likely allow those who do not want to go Permanent to do so.

Update ..... In speaking with INM staff in SMA today, note the above applies to those with a 3 or 4 on the back of their visa. The 6 months of expiration applies to those staying within Mexico. Those who are outside of Mexico have 55 days of expiration allowed but again in reference to a 3 or 4 on the back of their visa. There are no fines in these instances.

It appears INM may be about to issue changes to PR status and allowing time to those with a 3 or 4 (meaning 4 and 5 years of current visa) to delay and possibly not have to become a Permanent Resident.

Archived