Chapala.com Webboard

How Will This Affect Snowbirds Coming to Mexico

CWB

The reason that Ontarians don't spend more time in Mexico or the USA has nothing to do with a U.S. Visa. It has to do with the number of days that we can be out of the Province without jeopardizing our OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan).

Seems to me that this is just another example of the USA not knowing much about their Canadian neighbours.

"Only" six months? Interesting question though. In our case, no impact. I have no interest in spending eight months away from home, so, no pull there. Also wonder how people will handle medical insurers who at least in BC frown on absences of more than six consecutive months I believe.

The reason that Ontarians don't spend more time in Mexico or the USA has nothing to do with a U.S. Visa. It has to do with the number of days that we can be out of the Province without jeopardizing our OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan).

Seems to me that this is just another example of the USA not knowing much about their Canadian neighbours.

There are discussions on expanding the amount of time a Canadian can be out of province and still keep health care. There are already some provinces that give you 7 months, and one that gives you 8 months.

If Mexico only allows 6 months in the country, and the US starts to allow 8 month visas, it will make the US more attractive for snowbirds.

I think people are correct in stating that it is the Provincial Health insurance limitations that determine how long a person will stay in a warm, winter location. It could make a difference to people who live in provinces with weather that sucks for 7 or 8 months, where they can leave for that length of time and maintain insurance. Only time will tell.

There is another factor to consider: The high cost of travel insurance as people age. You can obtain less expensive policies if you avoid the United States all together. If you can not obtain affordable travel health insurance, Mexico is a better bet as you are less likely to be bankrupt at the end of an emergency hospitlalization.

In any case, i think it is a smart move for the US. There will be thousands of people, from those provinces that allow them to maintain inurance, who will choose Florida/Texas/Arizona so they can avoid the slush all together.

Archived