Chapala.com Webboard

Taxi to US Consulate in Guad

I'm planning to take the bus next week from Chapala to Guadalajara and then taxi to the US Consulate in order to renew my US passport. Could someone please advise the approximate time and/or distance by cab from the bus station in Guad to the US Consulate? Thanks.

Like most things in Mexico, it depends. In this case, it mainly depends on traffic. If there's no traffic, it will take you 10-15 minutes. If there is morning, midday, or late afternoon rush hour traffic, it could take an hour.

The US consulate is on Lopez Cotilla, a few blocks from the crossing with Enrique Diaz de Leon.

I walk there from the bus station in about 40 minutes, and a taxi should cost you around 50 or 60 pesos (from the old bus station). Ask the taxi driver (before you get in) if the taxi meter works,... if not, ask him for the price.

With not too much traffic, less than 15 minutes taxi ride.

Bus 604 passes by the old bus station (5 de Febrero) and leaves you a few blocks from the consulate (walk from Niñoes Heroes,.... maybe a little more than a few blocks, but not more than 15 minutes walk).

Rony

It is MUCH more covenient to apply for renewal when representatives of the consulate

come to America Legion Post in Chapala and the Lake Chapala Society in Ajijic.

I believe that is the morning of the first Wednesday of the month.

You must have your typed application, fotos, travelers checks and your current passport.

The consulate is NOT set up to accept you without an appointment. To get an appointment

(or to get into the Consulate) you must explain your emergency.

You MUST get the check for the US consulate passport fee at the IC Bank in the new shopping plaza, opposite Walmart. Tell them what it is for and they will make it out correctly.

These are not Travelers Checks; they are cashiers checks from the bank to the consulate. You pay cash at the bank.

Archived