Chapala.com Webboard

What's the difference between importing and nationalizing a NOB car?

I am back and parden the spelling and grammer.

Many of you know me. I sell Red Cross tickets with Charlie K at Super Lake I am the larger Charlie.

I was getting fed up with all the rumors on how to nationalize a car, so I wanted to find out for myself. I am posting this to help others and maybe answer questions

It took me 4 days, only because when we came to Chapala 7 years ago, we came with a small trailer. I sold it several years ago.

Aduana said if you came to Mexico with a trailer, you can not cancel your permit without it. You must pay a tax. They would not say how much tax. They said I need a customs broker, and they called one. He came (Leopoldo Arevalo) and spoke not much English. He said we will go to his office and his wife (Sophy) who speaks English will translate. He had a small office next to his residence. She told me thru her husband that they will have to pay bribes to customs to have the permit removed. I asked how much. They said $800.00 US. i about wet my pants and said no way, and I said I will find someone else. Sophy said there is one other way. We can do this is for $400.00 US. They would let me use a trailer. And, they would have the serial number ingraved on it so it will match my paper work. I then asked how much to do my car. 1500.00 US. Just then, their son walked in (Eric) a young man of 23 that speaks perfect English. Later, I find out he is a Med student and also works in a Hospital in N. Larado. We went over everything again. I asked OK, what do you need? Their son said, original title, original permit, proof of residentcy, legal Mex. ID and of course, THE MONEY. I then told myself there comes a time where some trust comes in, so I gave them what they needed. A fool maybe, but as it worked out a Very smart move. Call it luck. I asked if they could recommend a safe place for me to stay they suggested the Crown Plaza. They led me there and the place was vely nice and $110.00 a night, but I was safe.

The next morning Eric called at 9am. He was coming to get me. We went to get the trailer, then to customs and a fast as I got there, I was done. They took me back to my hotel and Eric said we need to wait for the paper work. About 2:00, his father called and it was done. I asked Eric what next? He said we must go to Aduana to get my new sticker and more paper work. Eric went with me in my car to a huge customs parking lot. Over 200 cars waiting in line with drivers. This process took about 2 hours. Eric directed everything for us. When we finished, I took Eric back to his office, and I was on my way back home. I must say I was not thier only customer that day. Two Mexicans that had lost all there money to another broker where asking for thier help and got it. Two others that bought cars in Laredo from Zacatecas (Sorry spelling).

This sounds like a long process, but remember, the trailer was my big problem. Without that, it could be done in less than two days. Eric even supplied me with a 5 day letter so i would not be harassed by police.

I am saying this is not the only way, but Aduana MUST see your car, and you must get your sricker removed. Eric said the process of nationalizing your car without Customs seeing your car stopped 2 years ago. Spencer is correct it must be done at the border

I took care of insurance before I left (Claude at Bellon), because at the moment your car is nationalized you old insurance is no good.

I totally trust this company and people I will recommend them.

Today, I am going for my plates for the car HERE in Chapala.

I hope this helps.

Well done Charlie. Thanks so much for the detailed explanation. Please share with us the process of getting plates. Did you turn your TIP in when you solved the trailer problem? You have given me hope that we can nationalize our van.

You cannot do the plates in Chapala, must be done at validation at El Alamo or road to Tesistan. Please call or email me to check your documents before you go. I will do it for free as I want to see it for myself and save you any troubles if there is an issue.

I am back and parden the spelling and grammer.

Many of you know me. I sell Red Cross tickets with Charlie K at Super Lake I am the larger Charlie.

I was getting fed up with all the rumors on how to nationalize a car, so I wanted to find out for myself. I am posting this to help others and maybe answer questions

It took me 4 days, only because when we came to Chapala 7 years ago, we came with a small trailer. I sold it several years ago.

Aduana said if you came to Mexico with a trailer, you can not cancel your permit without it. You must pay a tax. They would not say how much tax. They said I need a customs broker, and they called one. He came (Leopoldo Arevalo) and spoke not much English. He said we will go to his office and his wife (Sophy) who speaks English will translate. He had a small office next to his residence. She told me thru her husband that they will have to pay bribes to customs to have the permit removed. I asked how much. They said $800.00 US. i about wet my pants and said no way, and I said I will find someone else. Sophy said there is one other way. We can do this is for $400.00 US. They would let me use a trailer. And, they would have the serial number ingraved on it so it will match my paper work. I then asked how much to do my car. 1500.00 US. Just then, their son walked in (Eric) a young man of 23 that speaks perfect English. Later, I find out he is a Med student and also works in a Hospital in N. Larado. We went over everything again. I asked OK, what do you need? Their son said, original title, original permit, proof of residentcy, legal Mex. ID and of course, THE MONEY. I then told myself there comes a time where some trust comes in, so I gave them what they needed. A fool maybe, but as it worked out a Very smart move. Call it luck. I asked if they could recommend a safe place for me to stay they suggested the Crown Plaza. They led me there and the place was vely nice and $110.00 a night, but I was safe.

The next morning Eric called at 9am. He was coming to get me. We went to get the trailer, then to customs and a fast as I got there, I was done. They took me back to my hotel and Eric said we need to wait for the paper work. About 2:00, his father called and it was done. I asked Eric what next? He said we must go to Aduana to get my new sticker and more paper work. Eric went with me in my car to a huge customs parking lot. Over 200 cars waiting in line with drivers. This process took about 2 hours. Eric directed everything for us. When we finished, I took Eric back to his office, and I was on my way back home. I must say I was not thier only customer that day. Two Mexicans that had lost all there money to another broker where asking for thier help and got it. Two others that bought cars in Laredo from Zacatecas (Sorry spelling).

This sounds like a long process, but remember, the trailer was my big problem. Without that, it could be done in less than two days. Eric even supplied me with a 5 day letter so i would not be harassed by police.

I am saying this is not the only way, but Aduana MUST see your car, and you must get your sricker removed. Eric said the process of nationalizing your car without Customs seeing your car stopped 2 years ago. Spencer is correct it must be done at the border

I took care of insurance before I left (Claude at Bellon), because at the moment your car is nationalized you old insurance is no good.

I totally trust this company and people I will recommend them.

Today, I am going for my plates for the car HERE in Chapala.

I hope this helps.

Yes that is the only way to do this. You must go to the border. We did the same and no problem. Just read the GDL reporter and it says S&S auto wants to nationalize cars without going to the border. Beware big problem.

I would be wise to carefully evaluable any additional information that this first time poster might provide. Please note Nuevo Laredo was spelled incorrectly and "hole" was used as opposed to "whole". I was tempted to delete this post but decided it would not be appropriate to do so.

ADDED BY COCINA MOD: The IP address from chapalacharlie shows that the post originated in Ottawa, British Columbia, making the entire post entirely suspect. My vote is to either delete it, but warn that readers should ignore it.

What is the meaning of your warning?

Ottawa is the capital of Canada and is in the province of Ontario on the eastern side of the country. British Columbia is another province on the western side. There must be something wrong with the IP address. Because the poster does not spell right, it makes him suspicious. I don't understand your warning.

Thank you CCharlie. I caught your msg on the other thread and came here for some of the answers to my questions. I have more questions but will wait for more border experiences to be posted.

I hope over the next couple months, that the process for importation of a foreign plated vehicle will become as clear and detailed as the driving directions to Pharr bridge. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Yes that is the only way to do this. You must go to the border. We did the same and no problem. Just read the GDL reporter and it says S&S auto wants to nationalize cars without going to the border. Beware big problem.

Yes ... the cars are going to the border ....

Today I have finished the process. My Mex. plates are on the car. I went to the border on May 13 and put the plates on the car today June 4. I was fed up with all the advice from people that don’t know what is going on. My papers will be done to be permanente and no one knows what is going on with the car plates. I went to Tonala to completed the process and got my plates in CHAPALA today. The reason I got my plates in Chapala and not Tonala was because emissons on my car was done in Sept of 2012 and I needed new emission for 2013, so emissions was done here in Chapala and plates also. I trusted the broker at the border that I used and releied on him to get it done he was honest and true to his word. I have been stopped 5 times since May15 by traffic police some said leave old plates on and others said take them off and even twice after I took them off I was stopped.

Broker at the border

Leopoldo Arevalo (Wife Sophie and Son Eric speaks English)

Cell#011521(867)7502297

Cell# Eric 044-867-729-0097

Archived