Chapala.com Webboard

Detroit MX consulate - Perm $2300 & Temp $1900

A surprise while making an appointment with the Detroit consulate for a Temporal Visa. They require $1900 a month income for temporal and $2300 for permanente. Their reson is that temporal is still residente and you must have an income. Office is only open for 2 hours on Tuesday and 2 hours on Wednesday to apply. However they do give 4 years on the temporal. Processing is 30 days. Maybe.

Go figure. Ever place is different. I am told the office in Atlanta is giving permanent visa in 2 hours.

I think I will just come back on an FMM and let Spencer's office do their thing.

What has been your experience?

Surprise? Maybe I missed something, but I thought that's been the numbers since last Nov in all consulates. I know a lady who just arrived from Ft. Worth, TX and those were the numbers for her to come down. The one thing that does seem to vary is that the TX consulate said 4 years and Chapala would only give her one (guess they get more revenue this way).

I wasn't aware there was an income requirement for temporal. Doesn't matter but I want to keep the temporal to keep my vehicle. I am concerned about the 30 days processing and the maybe statement.

We just obtained our residencia permanente (RP) visas from the Mexican Consulate in Atlanta. We know that we have to enter Mexico within 6 months of the issuance date and then have 30 days in which to register them and complete the process. The laminated RPs are already in our US passports, and it was all done at the Consulate, to include electronic fingerprinting. We don't know how long it takes or how much it costs to complete the registration/validation of the RPs once we arrive in Ajijic. We plan to call Spencer and have him do whatever is necessary.

A surprise while making an appointment with the Detroit consulate for a Temporal Visa. They require $1900 a month income for temporal and $2300 for permanente. Their reson is that temporal is still residente and you must have an income. Office is only open for 2 hours on Tuesday and 2 hours on Wednesday to apply. However they do give 4 years on the temporal. Processing is 30 days. Maybe.

Go figure. Ever place is different. I am told the office in Atlanta is giving permanent visa in 2 hours.

I think I will just come back on an FMM and let Spencer's office do their thing.

What has been your experience?

You've lived here a long time based on your profile. If you're on a (former FM3) or non-immigrante, you can renew in Chapala with no income requirement.

.....with your passport, containing the visa approval, as well as proof of address in Mexico. They will want copies of those things, so make a couple. You will be told to return when your permanent card is ready; probably given a website, ID number (NUT) and password (contraseña) to check online.

Do you know if you can still qualify by having the assets in your bank account for 6-12 months when applying for temporal? Or is it only if you have the monthly income?

It's better to show income. We were questioned on having a investment account, even though we were drawing from it monthly, and the person dealing with the application at immigration did't accept that. We also had income and they wanted proof it came from outside of Mexico. It might all depend on who is processing it.

Several thing:

1. You MUST get your Temporada/Permanente entrance visa in your home country. You no longer can do it here after you enter on a FMM. The new FMM stub has a place where the immigration official will check off which entrance visa you have. If you have none, you will be a Tourist (FMM) and SOL if you want to convert to Temp/Perm here in Mexico.

2. The financial quantification is an EITHER/OR situation. If your monthly retirement income does not reach the threshold, then you can use your total invested in the USA to reach the requirement. Most people of a certain age, have accumulated IRA's, 401K's etc that get to the relatively low threshold.

Since my spouse was not yet retired when we did this in December of 2012, she came in as a Temporada, based on her accumulated investments, as she did not have the monthly residual income proof as of that date. She will be Temporada for four years, than be converted to Permanente. BTW - over all Permanente is less expensive than Temporada.

In any case - do not think that being here with just a FMM as a tourist will do the trick any longer - make sure you pay the $36 USD at the consulate in Detroit to get the entrance visa.

OUR EXPERIENCE IS WITH THE WASHINGTON DC CONSULATE.

Good luck.

That still works like always, but now, you cannot "convert" it to an FM3 or Temporal without returning to your country of origin. Otherwise you can still go to the border every 6 months and get a new FMM and live as always. I converted while here on an FMT to FM3 5 years ago, but now I'll have to leave and go back NOB to get another Temporal.

Ok- such a mish mash of mis information- know you have been here as long as I have- so your visa issue may be similar to mine

Was on my 2nd FM3 renewal with a Peroga 1 on the back-

I renewed my FM3 as Temporal in GDL for 2 more years-WITH No Income Requirements -

Aduana Law still allows me to drive my Calif plated car -Got my Visa yesterday-

Renewal expires April 2015 - upon expiration I can get Permanente VISA without financials

Aduana Law still allows me to drive my Calif plated car -Got my Visa yesterday-

Renewal expires April 2015 - upon expiration I can get Permanente VISA without financials

When you are issued your Permanente, will you still be allowed to keep/drive your USA plated car?

When you are issued your Permanente, will you still be allowed to keep/drive your USA plated car?

Who KNows- with all the differing opinions- I assume by 2015 the Mess will have been resolved and Gov will decide -Yeh or Nay

I'm not going to worry about- I got my sticker in the San Francisco Consulate- No Deposit was Required-

I crossed the border in in Oct 2005 and sticker was not recorded in any system at that time.

Well I inadvertently let my FM3 lapse on an overseas trip last year. Since then I have come and gone on a FMM and my car has stayed garaged. I intend to keep the car so can only go Temporal and hope to get 4 years so I don't have to do it every summer and that requires doing it this summer. Since I am not retired I will have to show either the investment or trust statements in the full amount. I am not concerned about the financials, although I did not realize Temporal would have to show income albeit a lesser amount than permanente. I just want a few more years on my vehicle and am willing wait and see what the options might be later on. Since the car came in in 2005 I do know I will have to drive the car out since I broke the chain of renewals. Then I will re-enter after I receive the temporal visa. Unless I can get a car TIP at the same time I get the temporal. That would be best but the woman in Detroit didn't know for certain however she thought since we have a Jalisco plated vehicle I should mention it when I come into the office.

I hope you don't run into trouble on the way out because the car is illegal now as soon as you drive on a street because the chain was broken. Now, what are the chances you'll get stopped? - well, we never know do we. As soon as you cancel this TIP at the border then getting a new one when you bring the car back in isn't a problem, just pay the deposit and come on down.

Archived