Chapala.com Webboard

Is there a used auto website such as AutoTrader in Mexico?

I have given up trying to legalize my California plated truck here. I am waiting for my residente perminant to be processed and have heard so many solutions that I have come to one conclusion...NOBODY KNOWS NUTHIN'. Take it to the border...take it to the airport...take it to Mazatlan... take it to the moon! there is even one guy advertising in the Reporter that claims he can do it here while you lie on your couch watching TV. And the prices for doing this that I hear thrown around are ridiculous! I have a 1979 Ford F250 pickup that has a rebuilt engine and runs good. My plan is to find an old junker of similar vintage with a good body, bad (or no) engine and Mexican plates and papers that I can buy and have transferred to me. I would then swap out engines and have the remaining truck (my original) for parts. A friend of mine, an ace mechanic in California, tells me that my engine would fit perfectly in any Ford F250 years 1978 - 1985. So this is what i am looking for. Any suggestions for websites or other ways to find such a vehicle? thanks.

If you want to have some fun with that site, make sure you click on "classicos" (the pictures are beside the info that you will put in for your search).

Then start dreamin'...what if I could buy that 1975 Mercedes for a $110,000 pesos and be able to import it to the U.S. or Canada...where it's a classic car worth around $30,000 DOLLARS. I wish I may, I wish I might, have this wish, I wish tonight.

I have given up trying to legalize my California plated truck here. I am waiting for my residente perminant to be processed and have heard so many solutions that I have come to one conclusion...NOBODY KNOWS NUTHIN'. Take it to the border...take it to the airport...take it to Mazatlan... take it to the moon! there is even one guy advertising in the Reporter that claims he can do it here while you lie on your couch watching TV. And the prices for doing this that I hear thrown around are ridiculous! I have a 1979 Ford F250 pickup that has a rebuilt engine and runs good. My plan is to find an old junker of similar vintage with a good body, bad (or no) engine and Mexican plates and papers that I can buy and have transferred to me. I would then swap out engines and have the remaining truck (my original) for parts. A friend of mine, an ace mechanic in California, tells me that my engine would fit perfectly in any Ford F250 years 1978 - 1985. So this is what i am looking for. Any suggestions for websites or other ways to find such a vehicle? thanks.

Do you have a TIP on it? If so, no matter what you do, as long as the VIN/car is in Mexico you cannot sell it. Even if you junk the body, if anything should happen in the future, or if you want to leave the country, you are still responsible for it. It may be the toughest thing to do, but take in NOB, sell it and start all over down here. You seem to have an albatross. BTW I never look for a a shortcut - I just drove my USA plated vehicle to Texas and sold it, after getting my TIP removed and refunded and own a JAL plated car - much less hassle.

FHBOY Thank you for the lead on the website, but I do not think that you read my whole post. Why would I think about driving my truck to the border and maybe getting $1,000 for it when I clearly stated that my intention was to buy a Mexican plated junker and swapping out the engine for mine? The carcass (my old truck) would remain in my garage and only be used for spare parts. Yes I have a TIP but five years ago it was a very small amount, hardly worth a trip to the border.

FHBOY Thank you for the lead on the website, but I do not think that you read my whole post. Why would I think about driving my truck to the border and maybe getting $1,000 for it when I clearly stated that my intention was to buy a Mexican plated junker and swapping out the engine for mine? The carcass (my old truck) would remain in my garage and only be used for spare parts. Yes I have a TIP but five years ago it was a very small amount, hardly worth a trip to the border.

agreed - now it is about $300 USD. You old-timers had it good with TIPs. Have fun with the swap.

Archived