Chapala.com Webboard

What is a fair price to pay per kilo for a watermelon by the side of the road?

I was charged 70 pesos for the smallest watermelon I could find to select.

Honestly, there were bees and I was a bit overwhelmed when he weighed it. I am really not sure what it weighed - so I'm not really able to properly assess my transaction. Just $5.60 US seemed steep for a small to medium sized watermelon in Mexico.

But now, with your input, I am equipped to understand and negotiate my next watermelon purchase. Muchas gracias! Oh, the watermelon was / is delicious and the fellow was friendly and polite... Even though I may have been taken for a few pesos... lol...

The stall beside the road is selling watermelons in pieces, not as whole melons. They probably paid close to retail for their stock and their profit comes from reselling in portions. So it is inevitable that you would pay a higher price for a whole melon than if you stop at a fruteria and buy one.

$70 pesos? Wow! A pick-up full of fresh produce comes right by my house once a week, selling all kinds of fresh fruit and vegetables. I get small sweet juicy watermelons for $10 pesos, and large ones for $20 pesos. The other day they were selling Sugar Baby melons, and I got 3 really nice ones for $20 pesos total. Nice avocados go for $10 pesos a kilo. And this guy sells right outside my door (and everyone else's in the neighborhood)! I guess it helps to speak Spanish?

$70 pesos? Wow! A pick-up full of fresh produce comes right by my house once a week, selling all kinds of fresh fruit and vegetables. I get small sweet juicy watermelons for $10 pesos, and large ones for $20 pesos. The other day they were selling Sugar Baby melons, and I got 3 really nice ones for $20 pesos total. Nice avocados go for $10 pesos a kilo. And this guy sells right outside my door (and everyone else's in the neighborhood)! I guess it helps to speak Spanish?

Thanks so much for the information. It is so helpful to understand as much as I can from other's experiences.

I do speak & understand Spanish - at least at a middle / moderate level. It was just my very first watermelon that I ever purchased here - I had no frame of reference. Now I have a workable range. Thanks again for sharing!

WOW!!

Wish the guy came by my house.

I love watermelon and buy one every week. It's hard to find a sweet one and I have been charged everywhere from $10 pesos to $90.

I turn the guy down when he said $90. It came out to $12 k

Glad to here what wholesale is.

Archived